using ATI need help installing physx

Discussion in 'Videocards vs General Purpose - NVIDIA Ageia PhysX' started by efo, Aug 20, 2012.

1. efo

efo Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte ati rad 7850 2GB
    First of all, forgive my noobishness as this is the first time I own a computer and I do not know too much and after much confusion I decided I could use help from this community.

So I use an ATI Radeon HD 7850 Gigabyte and I tried to install physx but I don't think it worked.

http://www.nvidia.com/object/physx-9.12.0613-driver.html

This is the link I downloaded from and all I did was say install.

The reason I'm trying to get physx is because I am trying to play a game called Metro 2033 and in there physx is enabled and I was told I needed it to play the game as the game always just keeps freezing and turning black and when I ctrl+alt+delete and click on start task manager, on the desktop on the bottom right I get the message "driver has stopped working". no matter what I did the game only plays for about 3-4 minutes but then starts to become problematic like this.

If someone could guide me and help me I would be grateful!
    Thank you!

2. Spets

Spets Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3090
    Sounds more like a driver/pc issue, but find your Metro directory, go to the install folder (assuming you're running it through steam) and install each feature (dx/vcredist), you should be okay using the latest version of PhysX.
    After that validate your game and try running it. If the same thing happens try hopping into the AMD section of the forum, the GPGPU section isn't as active :)

3. efo

efo Member

GPU:
    I don't really know if my physx IS installed. There are install instructions but I'm really confused about them and I didn't do it. I just double the installer and installed it. I'll try doing what you said now.

4. efo

efo Member

GPU:
    alright I tried installing the things you said but the game froze again... it shows as "not responding" in the task manager too. What other suggestions do you have?

5. Spets

Spets Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3090
    PhysX software is basic to install, just double click it nad install. You can check to see if it's installed in control panel > programs and features.

Have you tried running the game on low settings for some test runs?
    What drivers are you running and have you had any other issues with other games?

6. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX1070 iChillx4
    you can check in the programs and features in control panel,

should be listed as nvidia psysx

7. efo

efo Member

GPU:
    you're right, nvidia physx is right here.

I didn't try playing it on lower settings because my computer is supposed to be able to handle the game. (i used can you run it) (i even run BF3 on full graphics with no problems)
    I've had issues with dead island where it would freeze a lot and I had solved that problem by turning my gpu's clock from 975mhz down to 925 mhz

I don't know what drivers you're asking for spets... I can check them specifically if you tell me which ones you want me to check.

8. Spets

Spets Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3090
    Does down-clocking your card prevent the issue from happening in Metro?

9. efo

efo Member

GPU:
    oh... it worked. But why? Could there be an explanation to this? I thought my card being 975 would be better for gaming? not the other way around!

10. Spets

Spets Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3090
    Unstable overclock. Some games are more resource hungry than others which make them pretty good for testing your card when overclocking. A few laps in the Heaven benchmark is a good indicator for unstable clocks.

11. efo

efo Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte sells my gpu overclocked. Why would they sell it in an unstable condition? Are you saying for some games overclocked is better? I really have to thank you for your help man. Thanks!

12. efo

efo Member

GPU:
    BTW does physx work with my card now that I have it? Can I activate advanced physx in my game? Or should i leave it off?

13. Spets

Spets Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3090
    Sometimes you get a chip that doesn't meet the mark fall through, it's just bad luck really. Also if the card doesn't perform as the manufacturer intended it to (so you're getting bad results at the default settings you bought your card at) RMA it and get a replacement, it might cause you more issues down the track :)

PhysX works with your system, but will be processed only by the CPU.

14. efo

efo Member

GPU:
    ill try to get a replacement for my chip.

Oh! AWESOME! that means I can have particles! Thanks man :D

15. SoloCreep

SoloCreep Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 TI
    Wow I cant believe no one here told you that AMD video cards do not have PhysX and cannot use it. PhysX is a Geforce only feature.. Yes the CPU on your computer can run PhysX but it will lag and run like crap. If you have a Geforce card laying around you could run both cards "AMD" and "Geforce" combined. Using the geforce as a physX only card and the AMD as the primary video.