Using a router as an access point.

Discussion in 'Network questions and troubleshooting' started by jbmcmillan, Sep 27, 2019.

1. jbmcmillan

jbmcmillan Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte G1 GTX970
    Basically running a cat5e cable from a router in the house about 280 ft. to the back of the property and using another router as an access point. I know how to set that up but as for the cat5e I need to know the order of the wires in the cable for the connectors using it in this capacity? I read about patch straight through etc so I'm not sure what the order they should be in the connector for this to work.

2. airbud7

airbud7 Guest

GPU:
    pny gtx 1060 xlr8
    a router is an access point....the wires are color coded...just daisy chain the two routers together.

But yes, what you want will work fine....328 feet (about 100 meters). is the limit.

3. jbmcmillan

jbmcmillan Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte G1 GTX970
    I know how to setup the router what I needed was the order the wires go into the rj45 connectors to work for what I want. I'm making my own ends but I think I found that I need a straight through cable and I've found the order thanks.

airbud7 likes this.
  4. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Same as a normal LAN cable you'd run from PC to router, got one set up myself purely for 2.4GHz WiFi as my main router only does one or the other and I have it set to 5GHz

iirc crossover was for PC > PC

I used to know the colour order by memory a few years ago, part of my job was making them and crimping the connectors on the end, you can make it sort of rhyme if memory serves, helps to remember it

Last edited: Sep 27, 2019

5. airbud7

airbud7 Guest

GPU:
    pny gtx 1060 xlr8
    the wires are color coded....that's all....it's a lot easier than you think, ethernet wire is not even shielded very good/ heck I've striped them and wrap them together before <"not recommended" ...:D

[​IMG]

6. jbmcmillan

jbmcmillan Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte G1 GTX970
    Lol I know they're color coded up until this point I have only needed premade cables just wanted make sure of the order after running 280 ft of cable didn't want to mess around too much. I've done this 4 or 5 times before but the longest run was 25 ft.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2019
    airbud7 likes this.
  7. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    Cat5/Cat5e/Cat6 should support lengths up to 100 m or 328 ft.
    A normal LAN cable is ok.
    Now, I may be wrong here .
    Putting the cable on the LAN port, the DHCP is done by the main router, the second router just acts like a switch and AP. Guess you need to turn it off, tough.
    If you connect to the WAN port, you create a subnet and the DHCP is done for that subnet.
    Gurus, correct me if I am wrong here.

HandR likes this.
  8. Yakk

Yakk Guest

GPU:
    Graphics card
    I would say just use a switch, not a router.

Yes, by default you will create a subnet unless you configure your router as a switch anyways. Doing a double or triple bridge is possible but a pain to manage (bridging modem, router 1, router 2).

Caesar likes this.
  9. Caesar

Caesar Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Gaming X
    The problem you'll have next will be assigning IP......(if)

Tip: set the access point's gateway address to 192.168.2.1 (to prevent conflict with the main router)
    ----------------------------------
    What modem [model] are you using as access point?
    ----------------------------------

10. Caesar

Caesar Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Gaming X
    [​IMG]

386SX likes this.

11. jbmcmillan

jbmcmillan Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte G1 GTX970
    Thanks to all that answered I used t-568b wiring order and it worked just fine. I used a second router at the far end turning off dhcp server connecting lan to lan ports. I get 25Mbs/sec on the wireless which is good enough for his Firestick and computer. I think mostly because his cousin only has 30Mb/sec internet. He lives at the back of his cousins place in a winnebago type rv that was the reason for the setup. It's wired so he can disconnect easily when he drives it for fishing trips and holidays.

386SX, anticupidon and airbud7 like this.
  12. 386SX

386SX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AMD Vega64 RedDevil
    It is recommended to setup the whole net in one standard, either 568a or 568b. Just for your information. ;)