"Users Claim That Crimson Software Killed Their AMD GPUs, AMD Acknowledges.."

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by (.)(.), Nov 30, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. (.)(.)

(.)(.) Banned

GPU:
    GTX 970
    DSOG

Additional info from Overclock. net:
    [Softpedia]Warning: New AMD Crimson Driver Is Heating and Killing GPUs, Users Report (Update: Hotfix tomorrow):
    So far no reports of dead gpus in that thread.

Guru3d:
    http://www.guru3d.com/news-story/amd-crimson-software-might-cause-locked-fan-rpm-at-20.html

Why are users not monitoring their gpu temps?

Last edited: Nov 30, 2015
  2. Darkest

Darkest Guest

GPU:
    3060ti Vision OC V2
    The majority of people who play games on the PC are far removed from the enthusiasts you find on this forum. They just start up games and play them, they don't do anything even remotely technical, at most they'll update their drivers on a regular basis. Spend five minutes checking random game forums on Steam, you'll see exactly what I mean. I'd actually wager that most don't even know how to monitor temperatures.

3. (.)(.)

(.)(.) Banned

GPU:
    GTX 970
    Yeah thats im seeing, the steam forum level of user competence.

4. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    They beta test these drivers out or what? That is a huge freaking bug there. Nvidia had a driver out like that years ago but with me monitoring temperatures all the time risk is minimal. Though I was not affected by that driver.

5. IcE

IcE Don Snow

GPU:
    3070Ti FE
    To be fair I don't monitor temps anymore. The card has protections anyway, it will lock up once it hits 100C to prevent damage.

Only way I could see any cards dying would be to a bug like this existing for a really long time, which obviously isn't the case here.

6. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    Surely the cards would throttle to avoid damage?

Either some people have noticed this bug and decided to try and see what they can get out of it, or there is something else in the drivers stopping the card throttling.

7. sverek

sverek Guest

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    Looks like someone at AMD getting "fired"...

failed with puts on glasses meme...

8. Clouseau

Clouseau Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC AMP RTX 3070
    They also need to alter the disclaimer that is agreed to before enabling overdrive. Currently they only mention that the cpu may be damaged when operating outside of stated specifications. Legal team feel asleep on that one.

9. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    The "average user" isn't going to immediately relate an apparent GPU failure to a driver. It would take someone technical minded to relate the 2. The people most likely to be affected by this, are the least likely to enable OverDrive and anyone dumb enough not to monitor their GPU temp after enabling an overclocking feature deserves to have their GPU fail imho....

When I overclock, I monitor temps at every adjustment. WTF overclocks purely by adjusting clock speeds? A lot of the cards on the market will hit a thermal wall before they reach the limit of the GPU thanks to piss poor reference coolers.

10. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    This just validates my point about AMD and their driver team even more. What a bunch of knobs.

11. Rugburn

Rugburn Guest

GPU:
    2x EVGA GTX1080 Ti FTW3
    Although I appreciate the protections in place on modern gpus. I still make it a habit to check temps, vram and gpu usage while playing.

12. Stormyandcold

Stormyandcold Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3080ti Founders
    The only thing with drivers that we should fear...heat-of-death. Both sides have been guilty of it now, but, it's still a major over-sight especially with all the hype. Someone didn't do the checklist it seems. This is why they need to be more open and have wider beta testing teams so as to avoid public backlash when things don't work. Potential critical failure of hardware is serious business.

13. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    I don't understand how such a thing could get through, how could it happen... this isn't the first time either. It's happened in the past with both nVidia and AMD.

14. Dch48

Dch48 Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire Nitro+ RX 470 4g
    I'm not having any problem. My fan speeds and temps are fine. I don't use Overdrive though and never overclock anything.

15. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    My HD7970 did lock up on 91°C for GPU or if VRMs hit 95°C 1st.
    I am sure it was not driver level lockup overridable by driver. So while this driver keeps fans at low spin, it will not fry GPU.
    My Fury X fan stays reportedly at 20% but even then GPU temperature stays at around 42~45°C in gaming (PoE, KF2).

We have here user, I think "Agonist", who claims that it killed his 2 GPUs (liquid cooled).
    I really wonder how did AMD's crimson driver take over control of pump and fans for that water cooling he used.
    And Even more I wonder if it did actually boil before failing, because temperatures required to permanently damage GPU are above boiling point of water which is used in LCS.

Running Afterburner's custom fan profile works as usual.

16. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    This only makes me wonder since when AMDs drivers suffered from their teams working on mantle / vulkan / dx12.

Good thing there'll be a hotfix for this and it doesn't come all too late, but if I'd have an AMD card, I'd still be annoyed by this.

17. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    At least it was not WHQL, or was it? I think people who has been hit by this issue are people who may rethink their beta driver usage.

And as I wrote above, your card can lockup itself due to temperature trigger 1000 times before frying. Yet people claim 1 lockup and dead?
    I think some people trying to surf on this issue and get replacement for their already dead cards. Others are looking for issue source where it did not came from. (Instead on checking their own handiwork.)

18. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Yeah, sounds pretty logical. Still, stories such as this tend to make people worry even if there's not too much reason to do so (especially those not as enthusiastic about our hardware and everything that comes with it).

19. Passus

Passus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4070 Gaming X
    just noticed

mine locked itself to 60% when i have max 45% on any profile

it had locked itself in the global overdrive settings, this is a fresh install of the driver after windows 10 went barmy yesterday and i had to reset it

also it had locked the power to +20% even though i had not touched the overdrive prior to noticing this morning

20. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Ti Super
    Now I know why they named the new software "Crimson". It's the color of the glow the GPU gives off after installing the driver. :bolt:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.