Use old driver, not newest?

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by codeseven, May 21, 2007.

1. codeseven

codeseven Active Member

GPU:
    1-BFG GeForce 7800 GTX OC 256mb
    Is it true that older drivers are best suited for older cards? What I mean is, arent older drivers 'optimized' for the video cards available at the time their made and therefore shouldn't an 80's or maybe early 90's series driver be used for the 60's and 70's series cards and later drivers used for the newest 80's series cards. Reason I ask is occasionaly around the net I ask which driver folks are using with their 7800 series cards and often an older 80's or 90's series driver is the answer. I had always thought the newer the driver the 'better' it is. Maybe thats true if you have a new card but not so true if your using an older card. Could be the same for newer versus older games and which drivers have 'fixes' for that game.

So which driver should I be using then, an older 'optimized for my older card' driver or the newest driver available?

2. SolidBladez

SolidBladez Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti OC
    You should be fine with your card atm. Nvidia just released the 94.24 WHQL drivers last week and so far they run great on my 7900GTX. Usually upgrading an older card like a MX440 for example with the current drivers would be unwise in gaming performance. But your card, and other 6 and 7 series cards should sustain with the newest Nvidia drivers.

Mike.

3. Cavi

Cavi New Member

GPU:
    EVGA GeForce 9800GTX+ SC
    I just recently bought C&C 3 and had ALL KINDS of issues trying to get it to run. Seems as if some driver sets are conflicting with the gamedat file of the game, and causing the game to not initialize Direct3D properly. Some people can't get past the splash screen, some crash anywhere from 1-5 minutes in to a game (this has also been a very bad problem in Star Wars Galaxies).

Since this problem was extremely prolific (even across newer cards and drivers and vista and XP), I came here to read and get an idea of some good drivers to try.

I started with the nvidia reccomendation on their site for my 7800GT, and DL'd the 93.71. No Dice. Then I came here (because I frequent this site a lot) to get information. I tried rolling back to 84.21 and it didn't work.

The 94.24 drivers I then tried, because I saw on the forum they had a lot of praise. The game started and ran for me the first time out. Looks as though Nvidia has scored with the 94.24.

4. codeseven

codeseven Active Member

GPU:
    Thanks Cavi.
    Its interesting how really dramatic a difference can be had by using different drivers. I would have just assumed the newest WHQL Nvidia driver (93.71) would have all the previous accumilated fixes and that would be the one to use. Thats one reason why with my 7800GTX I'm looking at other than the latest WHQL driver and maybe rolling all the way back to 8x.xx to find that driver that was the best at the time for THIS card and not a newer card. Though I play a newer game, Silent Hunter 4, its really a remake using the older Silent Hunter 3 game engine so I would think my older card with its 'best' older driver would run the game fine. Just, what is that 'best' driver for this card?

5. Cavi

Cavi New Member

GPU:
    EVGA GeForce 9800GTX+ SC
    I saw a lot of people in your position using the 84.21 drivers. Seems when they tried any new ones, they always ended back at those (this is why I tried those first).

6. codeseven

codeseven Active Member

GPU: