Use nukes to contain the oil spill

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by JACK4HIRE, May 21, 2010.

1. Makalu

Makalu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 8800 Ultra
    well it's a complicated procedure...even the so called mud which isn't just dirt and water at all but was long ago is a pretty high tech substance with a mixture of synthetic and organic fluids and solids that they can/have to change the weight and viscosity of over time to match conditions in the well. They also have to back off the tens of thousands of hydraulic horsepower pumping they have on site at times in order to get accurate pressure readings in the BOP to see what's going on there.

yeah the flow rate needs to drop here before they can start pumping concrete but like putting your finger over a water hose a partial blockage decreases the flow rate but increases the pressure so you can't judge success by looking at what's coming out of the BOP.

I'm not really following it...I sure don't have the connection bandwidth to watch the live streaming video and most of what I have read up on was an attempt to understand what went wrong. But I've learned enough to know that the technology and techniques are pretty impressive and ingenious and the work is very specialized with a single subsidiary of Haliburton in charge of just pumping and analyzing the drilling mud (before the blowout that is and probably now too). You could spend years just learning all about drilling mud and the 20 or so different functions it serves.

Anyway I hope it works and the sooner the better.

2. heliman41

heliman41 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 260OC -640/1300/1100

BINGO!
    Greed is what caused this mess. All under sea wells should have at least 4-5 (maintained & working) backups min. AND, a special blowout preventer that can be used on any well at any time on hand. They got content, fat, & slack........They had to actually build things as backups since none existed, that's sooooooooooo stupid. There must be new laws placed that will not allow a supervisor or any boss to do it anyway but the correct way. The guy that ordered using seawater verses drilling mud should be tarred & feathered then hung publicly on national TV. If he survived that is.
    Everything man has ever made has eventually broken at one time or another, who honestly thinks that from time to time this won't happen again? history apparently wasn't a concern just making money.
    Count the wells out there & think about it..............................Ill wager every single boss out there will think twice about this stupid greedy mistake when its their turn to use A: water or B: drilling mud in 5,000 deep wells or deeper. To be honest im surprised this hasn't happened a lot before already we were just lucky till now. If it takes another month to drill a shaft to seal it for good LA all the way to FL and beyond is doomed big time.
    Ive got fast bandwidth & watching the streaming video IS very interesting, im praying it works for us & the Ocean within the next few days.
    I personally don't believe in offshore drilling and this disaster is why...........Id rather pay more for my gas & get it above ground where a disaster can be contained & burned if necessary. Offshore rigs made it easy, conveniant & fast to get the crude to the plants to convert it to natural gas & fuels but its biting their asses now. A handful of greedy men have destroyed an entire coastline I hope they all get the ax.

3. Makalu

Makalu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 8800 Ultra
    yeah I can't argue with any of that although deep sea drilling presents special problems that an offshore well on the continental shelf doesn't. As advanced as the technology is it appears to me that they've outpaced the technology in some areas with these deep sea wells. This particular well is not just a "mere" mile below the surface of the ocean but extends another 13,000ft into the earth beyond that and the pressures involved are immense. It sounds to me as if there is no blow out preventer today that can clamp down under the required 30-40,000PSI even if it's working properly and have about a 20,000PSI limit. Plus they all stand about a 10% chance of not working at any time in an emergency because about 10% of the drill pipe is collars and joints that the ram can't slice through. To guarantee success they have to close the annular seals and bump a collar up against it to locate it and then back it off which takes time they may not have.

It's a risky business and always has been but even more risks with these deep sea wells.

Now, BP appears to be trying to point a finger of blame at the BOP and blame technology when it's really humans at fault here.

Last edited: May 29, 2010
  4. buddyfriendo

buddyfriendo Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    So they're trying to say it had nothing to do with the inspectors that would hand them the paper work to fill out in pencil so the inspectors could trace over it in ink rather than doing their job?

The only good outcome from this whole mess is seeing BP go bankrupt, and rightfully so in my opinion.

5. Makalu

Makalu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 8800 Ultra
    ah well it's hard for me to imagine that this will bankrupt BP. Even if they paid out in full every claim against them without taking it to court (which they won't) and even if they cleaned up every drop of oil (which they can't) I reckon it would all still be a loss that they could absorb. They drill these wells as fast as they can just because the cost of it all goes in the debit column on the balance sheet. The lease that BP had with the platform owner Transocean worked out to just under half a million dollars a day. But once the well goes into production they make money hand over fist and it doesn't take long for the well to pay for itself....just a matter of months depending on oil prices and how much the well is producing.

6. buddyfriendo

GPU:
    2070 Super
    I didn't mean they would go bankrupt, I meant if anything they should be the ones to go flat broke after this crap.

7. Dustpuppy

Dustpuppy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    integrated - fffffffuuuuu
    What if we required companies to pre-drill relief wells to within 7 days of completion?

300bn in revenue, that probably cycles through the economy 2-4 times a year before it's all said and done. I hope to god they don't go completely broke.

8. buddyfriendo

GPU:
    2070 Super
    Meanwhile, their lack of doing anything has raped the Gulf Coast, literally.

9. heliman41

heliman41 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 260OC -640/1300/1100
    Well,
    Another attempt has fail miserably. The economy for everyone who makes a living using the Coastline is gonna go bankrupt from LA probably all the way around FL before this is over with. Then decades of cleanup...............................
    Who wants to visit & have to smell the reak of oil? Im betting the FL Keys delicate coral reef is next to go along with all the wildlife.
    If the next idea of cutting the bent pipe wide open fails the amount of oil spewing will actually increase just making it even worse then it is now. They got balls Ill give em that.

10. Makalu

Makalu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 8800 Ultra
    yeah I think there's a lot of things they can do to decrease the risks...of course they'd rather spend money hiring lobbyists to fight tougher regulations. They would have to drill the relief well (sometimes it takes several attempts to hit the original well since we're talking about a hole less than two feet wide) and then plug it with a couple of cement plugs and drilling mud in between the plugs to help keep them from blowing out...and then if the original well blows out drill thru the plugs in order to pump mud and cement into the original well and stop it's blowout. And there's always a chance that they'd get the relief well plugs wrong and it would blowout so it would need a blow out preventer on it too. Kind of a toss up over all if it would lower the risk or just double it with two potential sources for a well to leak.

anyway this sucks that the top kill has failed and now there's 1.2 million gallons of toxic drilling mud in the mix....that stuff is toxic and normally the EPA doesn't let them dump it in the ocean.

Last edited: May 30, 2010

11. Dustpuppy

Dustpuppy Ancient Guru

GPU:

Hrmm well what I meant was to not complete the relief well, just drill it down to where it could intersect the other well within 7 days of further drilling. Is it not reasonable to leave it near completion?

I don't see the risk doubling if it's not completed even if the relief well were to completely fail after being drilled into the blown out well. You'd get 2 20" pipes being fed by 1 20" pipe, I'm not sure how the fluid would behave.

I'm guessing the oil would split into each pipe at a reduced pressure but the reduced pressure will in turn create a greater difference in pressures between the top and bottom resulting in an increased velocity in the single 20" pipe, but that the volume of the oil will still be constrained by how much can be compressed into the 20" pipe... I dunno where to look for an equation for that, I'm not too big on Chem E; I don't think the volume would double though. Ah well, google here I come! :p

12. Makalu

Makalu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 8800 Ultra
    well I'm not sure that they could guarantee that they'd be able to intercept the well shaft blowing out on the first try and complete the relief well in 7 days. Of course it depends on how far they have to drill and what substrate they're drilling through and also how long the whole relief well is since it takes time to pump mud down several miles for instance.

The thing is that the scenario you're talking about the way I picture it is two drilling platforms and one just sitting there with the drill pipe and cutting bit at the end of the shaft ready to go but couldn't be filled with the heavy drilling mud that would stop a blowout yet....would still need some lighter mud for doing more drilling with...and could take a few days just to replace the mud alone after intercepting the blowout.

Plus the fact that even a well that's in the production stage with a production platform isn't immune to blowing out...although it is less prone to it than a pre-production well for a variety of reasons. Anyway, they sure as hell aren't going to want to pay for having a drilling platform and it's relief well sitting ready to go all through a wells production time at every wellhead.

If the regulation allowed more than seven days then there's some options there but it could easily take seven days just to move a drilling platform into place and get things going depending on this, that and the other.

So I was thinking that having a completed yet plugged relief well would be the best way to implement that. I dunno, there's some new technologies and techniques they could come up with to lower the risks no doubt about that.

13. heliman41

heliman41 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 260OC -640/1300/1100
    You guys do know hurricane season down on the coast starts soon right? Even IF they stop the flow you do realize that all it will take is just 1 hurricane to churn up & mix everything & then push it onland. If a storm like this hits which it does almost every single season then that's it, the disaster has reached its peak. Id be fettering over a storm next myself if I lived down there not just stopping the well & starting cleanup.
    All this poison mixed & churned up in 1 storm & its all over........................from the sea bottom to topside & beyond inland. Going to get a LOT worse yet before it gets any better.
    If I had any say about it id stop all production off the coasts & only drill inland. Alaska has plenty, the caribou & bears can handle a few more roads, this state and others is where we ought to be making our mistakes, at least afterwards we can dismantle everything & put nature back as it was when the well is dry.
    We are turning the entire Planet into one giant sewer. All decisions are left in the hands of a few who don't have to live next to the problems, so they can afford to live elsewhere in expensive fantasy areas off limits to the normal public. Some things never will change...................Watch our Planet change all in the name of progress & overpopulation over the next decade..............Ive seen it already happen in my lifetime.
    All the rivers around me are polluted, even our drinking water here has gone to crap. It used to be good water to drink. I remember that when I was a kid. Endless homes far as the eye can see in all directions....................Used to be woods, grass & clean brooks & rivers. Now its all gone......................Hope the next generation likes the future the last few left them, I sure do not.

14. davetheshrew

davetheshrew Ancient Guru

GPU:
    some green some red
    i agree with heliman, this planet has gone down the toilet and its companys like them doing it day in, day out, yet we give them all our money, crazy logic IMO. They shouldnt have the right to do this, pisses me right off to think our ocean is doomed because we want to run our cars and pay them to make it happen. Selfish company is selfish.
    inland drilling FTW!

15. Makalu

Makalu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 8800 Ultra
    I have an idea on how to maybe plug that thing but I don't know if it would work...ok there are two external valves on the BOP that they were already using to pump mud in but all the mud was being pumped down from one source and then split into two pipes thru a manifold sitting on the seafloor near the BOP. Anyway I wonder if they could concoct a very fast curing catalyzed epoxy and make it heavy by adding barium and pump the resin in one valve and the hardener in the other and enough of it would set up in time before being shot out the top to gradually build up in there and block the gusher....probably not huh? lol...would probably help some if it was a water based epoxy so that the oil and gas didn't dilute it.

16. Makalu

Makalu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 8800 Ultra
    oh Tony Tony Tony

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100531/ap_on_sc/us_gulf_oil_spill_plumes

what he meant to say is "The oil is on the surface and the stuff that we've been using dispersant on to either keep it from rising to the surface or force it to drop below the surface isn't oil at all. It's called SweepUnderTheRugaholeum"

17. Dustpuppy

Dustpuppy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    So basically we have the oil industries equivalent of mystery meat.

It's not chicken, it's not beef, it's not pork, yet seeming to defy all laws of nature it is still meat, but wtf is it?

18. Jonnyboy

Jonnyboy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA SC GTX 1070
    I hope they get the crap solved because in the last weeks me and my dad both have been feeling quakes measuring out to 3.0 which is small but I hate of quakes compared to tornado's, cause at least you have more of a chance of dieing faster from a tornado then a quake being painful where I am and they have been coming from the fault lines too.one just the other night came from the Fresno area or the Oakland area can't remember which.also before this oil incident I haven't felt a quake in like 3-4 years before this problem event.

19. davetheshrew

davetheshrew Ancient Guru

GPU:
    some green some red
    Might be leaving gaps allowing the plates to shift, who knows dude, everything about this is very sad, Imagine they CANT plug it up, what then? our waters will become black and all life within will cease, sounds like something biblical.

20. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX3070

'
    So get up!

Forget the past,
    Go outside and have a glass,
    The end of the earth is upon us,
    Pretty soon it will all turn to dust,
    Fourthousand miles in a jet airplane,
    Go out of your mind, go insane,