USB Pen Drive Not Detected

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by FloatingSheep, Jun 6, 2011.

1. FloatingSheep

FloatingSheep Member

GPU:
    GTX 260 Core 216
    USB Device Not Detected

Hi everyone.
    For some reason which I can't seem to get my head around, my system won't detect my external USB pen drive, I have 2 of exactly the same model and size however for some reason only one of these is being detected on the PC.

I initially thought that the drive may simply have died, however I have CD players which have the ability to read a USB device and when plugged into the player, it reads and plays everything on the drive perfectly so that rules out the chance of the device being dead.
    I'd format the drive however it simply doesn't show up in either my computer or disk management.
    Would really appreciate any assistance on the matter.

Kind regards, Sam.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2011
  2. Andrés

Andrés Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire HD 6950 2Gb
    Hello and welcome!. I'd try right-clicking on My Computer -> Manage -> Device Manager and expand the USB controllers branch. Double-click on all the root hubs and check the "Power" tab to see if your USB drive shows up there. You'll also see there the power consumption of each USB device like your mouse or keyboard. If the pen drive does pop up there, then go to Manage -> Disk Management and check if it shows up as an empty drive or something, then post back.

Good luck!

3. FloatingSheep

FloatingSheep Member

GPU:
    GTX 260 Core 216
    Hi.
    The USB drive does appear on under the power tab on my second root hub as "Unknown USB Device", however it does not appear at all under disk management.

4. naike

naike Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus EAH5870
    The partition is broken or damaged.
    Get something like Partition Wizard (it's freeware) and delete all partitions on your USB drive a create a new one. (Always use FAT32 as the file system and just use the default cluster size).
    This should fix the problem.
    Remember to pay attention when dealing with partitions and always double check before you execute a task, it's going to be a pretty long procedure the get a partition back if you accidentally were to delete one, so make sure it is your USB drive, and as always, don't touch anything you don't know what it does. Unless you don't care about the consequences like me.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2011

5. FloatingSheep

FloatingSheep Member

GPU:
    GTX 260 Core 216
    I tried using the partition wizard but yet again nothing shows up apart from my system's main hard drive, which is the major issue I'm having at the minute. I'd like to format the device clean anyway however in both disk management and the partition wizard it doesn't appear at all.

6. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
  7. naike

naike Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus EAH5870
    You said your system recognizes it, but it doesn't show up in my computer.
    That would mean it's working but has no partition that can be used.
    Did you actually plug in your USB drive before loading the program? The drives have to be connected before you start the wizard.

Do you hear that dum dum sound when you plug the drive in?

8. FloatingSheep

FloatingSheep Member

GPU:
    GTX 260 Core 216
    I understand where you're coming from, which is why it's got me totally stumped.
    When I plug the USB drive in, the system gives me that "ding dong" feedback telling me it's been plugged in, and yes I plugged the device in before I loaded the program however it did not appear in the partition manager.