USB-C hub issues

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by TheMexican, Aug 17, 2020.

1. TheMexican

TheMexican Member

GPU:
    MSI RTX 3070 8GB
    I have a Delock 64054 USB hub (plugged in a 10Gbps USB-C port) and a Patriot SuperSonic Rage 128GB USB flash drive. For some reason if I try to transfer a file from the flash drive onto my computer, the speed at first shows at around 100Mbs but gradually goes all the way down to 0 and then it locks up until I unplug the flash drive. However I can copy files from my computer onto the flash drive through the hub without any problems. The USB ports located on the front of my case work fine when transferring from computer to flash drive and also vice versa. Wtf? What could be the problem here? Also, it seems that copying from/to an external HDD (instead of flash drives) works fine.

2. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    thats more than likely a defective flash drive.

3. TheMexican

TheMexican Member

GPU:
    MSI RTX 3070 8GB
    Even if the flash drives (tried 2) work fine through USB ports located not on the hub?

4. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    how much current can the hub provide?

5. TheMexican

TheMexican Member

GPU:
    MSI RTX 3070 8GB
  6. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    > • Output: 5 V / 2 A

This is the minimum requirement in the usb spec, it goes up to 20v.

7. TheMexican

TheMexican Member

GPU:
    MSI RTX 3070 8GB
    Why does it fail with a single flash drive though? And a slow one at that.

8. TheMexican

TheMexican Member

GPU:
    MSI RTX 3070 8GB
    Do you know of an alternative USB hub with 10gbps ports?

9. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    hey, sorry i missed this, it doesn't seem like a lack of power but the chipset used in the hub could have a incompatibliity with the controller in the flash stick,

such an issue haunted the samsung galaxy s4 and s5 which had an early implementation of usb 3.0 but could not safely operate at 3.0 rates without the phones side hanging.

10. TheMexican

TheMexican Member

GPU:
    MSI RTX 3070 8GB
    Sad to hear that but thanks for all of your replies. Do you think buying a PCI-E 10Gbps USB card as a last resort to plug the USB hub into, instead of the I/O panel port, could be worth a try? This one: https://i-tec.cz/en/produkt/pce2u31ac-2/
    It says it is USB 3.1 gen 2, the USB hub also is USB 3.1 gen 2 while the USB port I currently have the hub plugged into is USB 3.2 gen 2 (MSI says so, B450 Tomahawk MAX motherboard). So I'm wondering if it could work better. It costs 21€ where I live.

11. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    you should try and identify the chipset used in the hub first, then try to avoid getting a card using a chipset from the same vendor.

12. TheMexican

TheMexican Member

GPU:
    MSI RTX 3070 8GB
    The USB hub's chipset is the Realtek RTS5429, as for the PCI-E card I have no idea since it is not mentioned on their website. I have sent them an e-mail.

13. TheMexican

TheMexican Member

GPU:
    MSI RTX 3070 8GB
    They replied, the PCI-E card's chipset is the ASMedia ASM1142.

14. TheMexican

TheMexican Member

GPU:
    MSI RTX 3070 8GB
    Any idea if it's worth trying?

15. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    If the USB flash drive works while plugged into one of your case USB ports, it should work plugged into a USB card using the ASM1142 chipset. Both your motherboard and that PCIe USB3 card are using ASMedia USB3 controllers anyway....

With the exception of X570, AMD's chipsets for Ryzen have been made by ASMedia and as such, use ASMedia USB and PCIe controllers.

16. These Hubs are annoying; they really crap out easily I've noticed... also the one (USB-C hub) built-in to my case constantly disconnects and reconnects on its own .. bleh disabled it in device manager was causing stutter in gameplay