USB 3.2 Specification Published and Announced

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Sep 27, 2017.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    A while ago there was already word out on the street that the USB Focus group would be announcing a new draft for upcoming USB 3.2, that has now been finalized and published. To keep things really si...

USB 3.2 Specification Published and Announced

2. yeeeman

yeeeman Member

GPU:
    9600GT 512mb
    This is getting annoying already. I hate what industry does nowadays by moving at such a fast pace that even consumers cannot keep up.
    Why they don't just release USB 4.0 with 1Tbps, with 1KW of power and call it a day for the next 10 years? They like to create one million revisions and release them once a week, like somebody would care.
    I know that shareholders are crazy for more money and that new stuff drives the market and the sales in general, but come on! Take a vacation, enjoy some wine and live the life. Computers from 5 years ago are still very much ok and USB 3.0 is still plenty enough for pretty much everything you could possibly need.

Emille and lucidus like this.
  3. Emille

Emille Master Guru

GPU:
    1080 Ti Aorus Extreme
    Usb specs are becoming insane.

I only recently learned there was gen 1 and gen 2 3.1.

Why can't they just make a motherboard with 6x 3.2 slots and 6x 3.2 type c slots....or is type c going to become one of those jokes where is was one of those standards no one adopted.

Most motherboards I have seen have 1x type c slot....why even bother.

4. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    That lonely USB-C port is enough for Apple's Earpods lol.

5. MainFrame Alpha

MainFrame Alpha Member Guru

GPU:
    Strix GTX 980 TI
    this is what technology dose, it moves forward, stop nagging and and be thankful for backward compatibility.

sverek likes this.
  6. BlueRay

BlueRay Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070 FTW
    Seems like USB doesn't feel "Universal" anymore. It's a huge fragmented mess. Different protocols and different connectors at the same time.
    They have to settle down and let people adopt it. USB-C should've been the new standard connector it's been a while now since it was released but still no more than 1 Type-C connector on new motherboards. No front panel C towers either. This doesn't help adoption. It's a mess.

vonSternberg likes this.
  7. Emille

Emille Master Guru

GPU:
    1080 Ti Aorus Extreme
    How is having not implemented new specs moving forward....

Motherboards still have pointless 2.0 slots, usb 3.0 only, a few gen 1 3.1 slots and a single type c connector.

That would be like calling the current existence of 16k displays 'moving forward' when no one even has access to them, let alone could afford them.

It will move forward when the legacy garbage doesn't comprise 80% of all usb slots on a motherboard.

8. fry178

fry178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2080S WaterForceWB
    @yeeeman
    Lol. Cause they forced you at gun point to buy it, right?

Usb 3.0 is enough for most, including me even with a ssd as external backup.

9. Raider0001

Raider0001 Master Guru

GPU:
    PowerColor RX 6800
    USB 3.2 ? Intel is like: Z470 Chipset coming UP!

10. DLD

DLD Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX1060 6GB
    Think I'll wait for 3.3.10059. That revision will be found on the Intel chipset Z470.9 based mobos... Though I can BARELY wait, that's how impressed I am with the advancement of USB specs....

11. RzrTrek

RzrTrek Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 ♥ MESA 21.3
    I've got a USB3.1 and USB-C connection, none of which is being used and I honestly don't see any reason to jump on the USB-C hype train.

12. Kaarme

Kaarme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 390
    USB3 was much needed as USB2 was too slow for external HDs and was also holding back flash drives. After that I didn't really care anymore, but I have to say the Type-C connector is quite nice for a phone as there's no need to check the orientation.

13. DLD

DLD Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX1060 6GB
    But, of course - we are saved from extinction now that we do not have to worry about "orientation". Because, lo and behold, disorientation of such magnitude could have lead us to unimaginable disasters, compared to (but not limited to) Irma, El Niño and alike...
    Ouch! Something is missing here, in the new specs: whatever happened to RGB decoration?! I want every pin to be equipped with LED of a different color!;)

14. Emille

Emille Master Guru

GPU:
    1080 Ti Aorus Extreme
    I didn't even know sarcasm of this magnitude was even possible.

15. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080Ti Strix H20
    Lots of typo errors in this article.
    Thought you might want to know.

16. SilAntoine

SilAntoine New Member

GPU:
    AMD Radeon 6630m 1 Go
    Meanwhile PS/2 ports are still alive and well! :D

17. bensmooth

bensmooth Member Guru

GPU:
    3060Ti Elite Rev2
    Is thunderbolt still faster reason i ask is because theres been so many usb port updates over the past 2 years im trying to keep up myself lol

18. Ricepudding

Ricepudding Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3090FE
    Have we got to the stage now where we might as well use USB instead of Sata? XD

Why why why has Sata not been increased in so long >.> might as well use USB or thunderbolt for SSD's since Sata bottlenecks them.... 2500 MB/s comes close to m.2 slot speeds XD

19. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    No, because latency.

airbud7 likes this.
  20. thatguy91

thatguy91 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX 480 RS 4 GB
    The USB 3.1 generations and 3.2 should have been released at once. If they have further specs planned for the next say, year, they should wait and incorporate it together. I understand why there aren't 12 USB 3.1 gen 2 ports on the computer, there's simply not enough bandwidth to run them at full usage. Ideally there should be USB 3.0 ports (no USB 2.0), and a couple of USB 3.2 devices using a single port type for high bandwidth, high power devices (relative) like external drives or quick charging. USB 2.0 devices should be supported in a special USB 3.0 mode that maximises USB 2.0 performance, and doesn't limit USB 3.0 devices speed if on the same hub.

airbud7 and Kaarme like this.