USB 3.0 for this headset? Or 2.0 okay

Discussion in 'Soundcards, Speakers HiFI & File formats' started by NudeDragon, Aug 26, 2012.

1. NudeDragon

NudeDragon Active Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 680 WF x3
    Hey guys so I was looking at good headsets and first I came across the Coolermaster 5.1's.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16826570013

I was going to buy it but then I saw that it is recommended to use USB 3.0 for it.

So now I found these and I was wondering if it's the same deal with this? Tried to search everywhere including the companies website but not go.

Are these good to go for USB 2.0? It has a separate soundcard that plugs into the USB port and the headphones plug into the analog on the external soundcard.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0049MOAHE/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Really hoping they don't need USB 3.0

Thanks!

2. RagDoll_Effect

RagDoll_Effect Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x nvidia GTX 560 SLI
    They're probably backwards compatible, so will work on both usb 3.0 and 2.0 :)

regards,
    RagDoll.

3. NudeDragon

NudeDragon Active Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 680 WF x3
    I'm wondering though if it will present any problems under 2.0 Because the Cooler Master I heard has problems if you try to use 2.0 because the speed just isn't enough for it.

Really hoping it's not the same for these.

4. RagDoll_Effect

RagDoll_Effect Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x nvidia GTX 560 SLI
    The Sen is usb 2.0 as far as I can see. However, the coolermaster it shouldn't matter because the speed isn't the thing that's important...

regards,
    RagDoll.

5. NudeDragon

NudeDragon Active Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 680 WF x3
    Okay thank you very much!

Also, just two questions if you don't mind.

First is, I don't use any speakers just headphones. So since this has it's own soundcard in it can I just install the drivers for this headset and not install the Realtek drivers for my computers sound? Or is that still necessary?

Second is, I'm planning on using the 5.1 virtualization on this headset not the 7.1 So my question is in games that have a choice on audio setup which is the correct option?

For example: Counter-Strike, would I use the headphone setting or 5.1?

Thanks!

6. NudeDragon

NudeDragon Active Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 680 WF x3
    Anyone? =)

7. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    You can still install the drivers for the realtek and use both or disable the realtek altogether, your choice.
    Set the games for 5.1 or surround depending on what options are available.

8. ESlik

ESlik Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA x2 1080 Ti SC Black
    The CM Storm headphones work fine with USB 2. However,that set would not be a very good choice for 5.1 analog. There are a few better sets available at less money if you want a set of gaming headphones that go directly to your sound card. Take a tour of the Tritton products. Good headphones and decent prices.

9. mst3kld

mst3kld Member

GPU:
    (2) MSI 6950 2gb OC
    I tried those headphones out for a bit and had a few issues. When I was running in analog mode so I could use the 5.1 properly I could not adjust the volume on the fly. I would have to go to the windows settings. When I was in USB mode I did not get to use my sound card (Asus Xense at the time) and it seemed to keep crashing my sound card drivers. Sorry I do not have much more info since I only spent a few days with those headphones.

10. ESlik

ESlik Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA x2 1080 Ti SC Black
    I used my keyboard to adjust the volume,but I know what you mean,it's just not right. Best 5.1 analog headphones in that price range,[$100] for overall sound and comfort are the Tritton hDA series in my opinion. If you really want to step out,you gotta have Psyko Carbon or Razer Tiamat. $200 to $180. Right now I'm using the Tiamat's. VERY good gaming headphones.

11. Sever

Sever Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Galaxy 3GB 660TI
    i've got the coolermaster sirus 5.1. its not a bad headset once you've got the equaliser set right. it is a bit annoying in that i cant use the mixer with my d2x, but its not too bad on its own since its uses a cmedia chip inside it as well.

the only major gripe i have with the headset is the lack of console support. coolermaster announced at launch that they would release a decoder box that would allow it to be used on consoles, and they had this in public display in their faq section for the sirus 5.1. Coolermaster UK confirmed with me that the decoder box would be released in august 2012 in europe. earlier this month when i contacted CM Storm, they said it was not going to be released and they wanted to know how i knew it existed and they werent even aware that the decoder box was mentioned on their website. they have since taken down the section mentioning its existence and have informed me that it will not be released.

Sucks to be me since i bought it with the intention of using it for both PC and consoles. might just sell mine for a set of tritton ax pros. would love to get the razer tiamat but thats another PC only headset.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2012
  12. ESlik

ESlik Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA x2 1080 Ti SC Black
    Tritton will beat CM Cirus to the ground. The Tiamat's are about the best available today. I thought I read at the ROG site that you can get adapters for the Tiamat's. Anyone else remember anything like that?

13. Sever

Sever Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Galaxy 3GB 660TI
    what kind of adapters?

according to razer, they wont release a decoder/adapter for consoles because consoles only do 7.1 for movies, and 5.1 for games. although im sure i could use one of those ebay boxes to get it running at 5.1 mode.

14. ESlik

ESlik Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA x2 1080 Ti SC Black
    I remember reading something about it somewhere,but I can't rememer where I read it. I'll check around a bit and see if I can find that info. I could be wrong of course. I read a whole lot of stuff on the Tiamat's as well as other headphones,and may have been reading info on one of the other sets. If I find it,I will post it here.