URGENT!!! Troubleshooting with a new computer

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Egregious, Aug 9, 2008.

1. Egregious

Egregious Member

GPU:
    Mobility 5830 1GB GDDR3
    Antec Three Hundred Black ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Retail

BIOSTAR TForce TP43D2A7 LGA 775 Intel P43 ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail

VisionTek 900244 Radeon HD 4870 512MB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16

Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Wolfdale 3.0GHz LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor

OCZ Platinum Revision 2 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model OCZ2P800R22GK - Retail

CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX 750W ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply - Retail
    Item #: N82E16817139006

All of the above as well as a new 500GB SATA HD and a fresh copy of windows home premium.

When I first fired up the computer I worked for a couple of minutes and then the computer shut itself down. It wouldn't power back on at all. If I unplug the power supply and plug it back in and turn it on the computer turns on only long enough for the motherboard LEDs to flash on and then it shuts itself off again.:bang:

I'm far from a genious when it comes to troubleshooting, all I could figure is maybe the motherboard is defective. I'm coming here for helping hoping someone from this GREAT:) community can help me out a bit.

Thanks in advance!

2. Mannerheim

Mannerheim Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Ati Radeon 4650
    check ur CPU cooler is well firtted. Intel makes most ****ty cooler connecting system.
    Try with 1 memory connected.

3. Billabong

Billabong Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 9800GTX
    Any beeps?

Assemble it outside the case (on the box lid or other non counductive surface) with just the basics, 1x memory, cpu, vid card, hdd, case speaker.

See if it will pass POST

4. Egregious

Egregious Member

GPU:
    Mobility 5830 1GB GDDR3
    Ok, so as far as I can tell it's working.

I pulled out the PSU and connected it to a case and and shorted out the 24pin connector to test it and it worked. I slowly hooked up everything else and voila, it's working.

My Antec case is a bottom mount so I had flipped the PSU upside-down so the fan would blow up into the case instead of towards the bottom of the case. As far as I can tell the only difference is my PSU now right-side up.

I never thought having the PSU upside-down would make a difference (It hasn't in my other builds) but apparently with this PSU it did?:3eyes: