URGENT Need help with a flooded Tower

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Aioras, Dec 4, 2016.

1. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    ^ best of luck with the test drive!

2. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    First, i am sorry for you OP, all those hardware parts caked with mud.Made me shiver.I will go mental if something like that happens to my hardware parts.
    Second, my intention is to help you, but maybe my methods are more drastic or my approach can be frowned at.
    I deal almost daily with this sort of repairs, smartphone droppend in toilets, pools, laptops who got beverages spilled inside.
    What i want to share is no matter how well you scrub, with whatever cleaning product, there are always hidden unaccesible places with dirt still on.
    More, the old mighty rice myth is debunked.
    http://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20140924005241/en/Rice-Myth-Busted-Study-Proves-Rice-Dry.
    Have anyone looked trough a microscope to a PCB put in rice to dry, and the effect of the aftermath?I know i did, and i reconsidered it. You can use dessicant from packages, those small Silica Gel packs and wrap around it using newspapers.
    I went from cleaning the traditional way to ultrasonic cleaners.The cavitation effect gets rid of all dirt, grease, mud, gunk...
    Can you find anyone wthin your range who rents, or offers this kind of service?
    It can make a difference, i say.

OP, por pura casualidad, vives en Andalucia ?

Last edited: Dec 10, 2016
  3. gsc

gsc Member

GPU:
    GTX660
    Using Rice i would be more annoyed by the thought of starch from said rice being released and baked on / getting into the electronics while they rest in there - esp if the rice absorbs anything but really minor amounts of moisture...

4. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    This.

5. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    I can imagine this thread becoming pretty popular if OP manages to get this machine back up and running using nothing but the parts that were damaged (Maybe not the HDD but you never know)

6. Aioras

Aioras Guest

GPU:
    Zotac GTX980Ti ***937;
    Then I got some freaking good news. Gpu and ram are working!!! A couple of hours running so far, some 3dmark pass and 13k on gou score@oc. The bad news (not that bad) is that fans on strix heatsink makes a little noise when spinning at high rpm. But I'm gonna try to put a little oil inside the fan ti see if it helps while spining fast.
    I'll update some more pictures this afternoon.
    And Ram is working too!

7. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    :D Nice!

There might be a small oiling hole under the stickers on the centre of each fan, peel off, pull out the rubber bung, oil and replace bung and sticker

8. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    Madre mia!
    You did it!
    Against all odds, you succeded.Kudos!
    Nice one, OP.
    I am glad that you regained what nature calamity claimed.

9. Aioras

Aioras Guest

GPU:
    Zotac GTX980Ti ***937;
    I'll check the holes on the fans, I did that trick on an old HD5850 Vapor-X a couple of years ago. The was no holes but I made one and it worked, I figured it will to the trick again :p

10. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    I heard the same trick works to create a 3.5mm headphone socket on the new iPhone too :D

11. Aioras

Aioras Guest

GPU:
    Zotac GTX980Ti ***937;
    Lol, I removed the sticker, found that hole and put some oil inside, also I unmounted both fans and put some more oil inside... Without success, the Gpu is working pretty good but fans are a little noising.
    I have been looking for a replacement fans but I can´t find them anywhere, the other option is to buy an aftermarket cooler but the only one I have seen is the Arctic Cooling Accelero Xtreme III and it´s a bit expensive.

Any ideas guys?

PD: Tomorrow the real deal... Mobo and Cpu test.

12. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Put it under water? (Pun intended :D)

Could have a look for a dead spares/repair on ebay and take the fans from it

Probably some fine grit in the bearings you can't see or easily remove, but is causing the noise when it spins

Maybe a compressed air jet could clean it better inside the fan motor / bearings

13. zettajhony

zettajhony Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 980Ti X
    seems due to corrosion, so the ball ball bearing / cylindrical is not perfectly round again., has been tested with WD-40 lubricants?, just try to sprayed with it and coat it with oil continuously at least will reduce the noise.., but the fan should turn around and do it separately from GPU...

i've ben try with my PSU fan.., and rough voice slightly reduced

Last edited: Dec 11, 2016
  14. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

Hey, if the GPU fans are the only casualty from the water damage I would absolutely not be disappointed at all. Well, maybe slightly because it makes for a better story, but at least you should eventually be able to track down an option for a respectable price (don't go spending $100+ on a new heatsink and fan etc).

15. Aioras

Aioras Guest

GPU:
    Zotac GTX980Ti ***937;
    I've found a nice deal on a Arctic Cooling Accelero Xtreme IV for just 40€, the good thing is that will fit an eventual upgrade of gpu up to todays new cards.
    And sure I'm not dissapointed at all, if I miss only the fans on that big mess it's still a pure win.

16. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    Great news! Congratz, your patience payed off!
    Plus goes to show disconnected/discharged electronics aren't damaged by water automatically, always worth a shot.

Nah, it doesn't... now I have paperweight with a hole in it :D

Can wholeheartedly recommend the Xtreme IV, keeps my GPU cool and quiet.
    Gaming temps are around 60 C or less with the fans locked at 1500 rpm, completely inaudible still.

Also yeah, the Strix fans bearings are bust, some impurities gotten to the bearing rims/races, no way to salvage them anymore.
    Just replace ;)

17. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Damn, was sure that would have worked :D

18. CrazY_Milojko

CrazY_Milojko Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus STRIX 1070 OC
    OP, congrats on job done so far! Your friend is so lucky to have you near :)

Told you that RAMs are going to be OK. CPU is 110% fine, that's for sure and I "feel" PSU is going to be perfectly fine. Keep up the good work!

^^^ this
    But, it's odd that no one here talks about bearings replacing. It's easy, done that more than few times, bearings are cheap (0.5€ to 2€ per one), you can buy/order them either online on in local better equiped tool shop. For sure it's cheaper than buying completely new GPU cooler.

19. Aioras

Aioras Guest

GPU:
    Zotac GTX980Ti ***937;
    DAY 4

After a few days, now the Mobo is ready to be bringed back to life "hopefully", after building back all the heatspreads and thermal armor is really good looking now, looks quite nice and clean.
    Next step is deep cleaning the tower "CM Storm Trooper", wich was looking like it was buried under sand for a couple of months, the mayor problem was to take every single thing out and leave only the chasis, the big deal was to remove the front pannel pcb and all the stuff out for a good clean.

Now we are awaiting the new fans, the new vga cooler and we´re still looking for a decent psu. Meanwhile the hdd and the ssd´s pcbs where cleaned and put them under the rice too.

Pictures:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Ok so once we find the new psu, and let the rest of pcbs be drying under rice I suspect the final stage is close now. Also the Corsair H100 is ready to test too.
    Some more pictures will be added tomorrow with the cleaned tower :D

20. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Nice job on the board!