1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

UPS Causing BSOD's & Game crashes?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by dk_lightning, Feb 20, 2018.

1. dk_lightning

dk_lightning Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 970 4GB
    So, I have been having this PFN list corrupt bsod and game crashes, the biggest of all is Overwatch with its "Rendering device has been lost".

I was starting to suspect my PSU as the culprit of my woes, So I got out my backup Sun Flower 450W and used that to just power the GPU only while my main Corsair CX750M does the rest and low and behold no crash in Overwatch.. Huh..

So just the the hell of it I unplugged my UPS and tried Overwatch again but with my Corsair PSU. No crash.

I am about to re-connect to it and try Overwatch and see what happens. I'm hoping it crashes as then it means I found out what the hell is wrong! If it don't then I guess Ill try the 450w on my whole system with and without the UPS and see how that goes.

But anyone heard of a UPS causing stability issues with a PC?

2. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti
    Yes, especially if they are undersized or older. I have a 2200VA UPS. So even with the 4K monitor a full gaming load of about ~ 900 watts I'm nowhere near tapping it out.

3. dk_lightning

dk_lightning Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 970 4GB
    Mine used to go into overload on my intel system in any game. But on Ryzen it does not. I even had this overwatch crash back then.

Well, I will see over the next few days if its the UPS or not.

4. sverek

sverek Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    I think it might be mixture of PSU not being able to send constant voltage to motherboard and UPS not sending quality electricity to PSU.
    You can try to just connect your PSU to wall socket and see if crash happens.

5. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX1660Ti
    Running a UPS in an overload state for extended periods can damage the regulation circuitry, as well as the battery and charging circuits.

6. allesclar

allesclar Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1070
    If your UPS is being overloaded it most likely will cause your computer to suffer with stability issues from its power supply.

7. thatguy91

thatguy91 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX 480 RS 4 GB
    Interference can be a problem. Make sure they aren't too close together.

8. dk_lightning

dk_lightning Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 970 4GB
    Maybe, Just maybe I have got to the root of my PFN LIST CORRUPT Issues as well as my PSU issues.

I have put in my back up PSU, A Super flower 450W 80 plus Bronze to rule out PSU issues with my Corsair CX 750M & Things are fine so far. No Overwatch crashing and no PUBG Crashing but its only been 1 day.

And the PFN list issue may be down to my Avermedia capture card of all things. I have not used it in some time but its still in the system (Was) so I installed its drivers and started setting up OBS again to use it and BAM BSOD PFN LIST CORRUPT.. huh..
    So on reboot windows would crash on login.. So i removed the card and windows is fine.. I wonder if that sorts it. And on an unrelated note my ram now refuses to OC at all :( 2133Mhz here I come.

One thing I have learned in the last 18 years is that computers are bloody weird!

9. sverek

sverek Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    My PC freezes whenever I run STEAM + GPU-Z. 100% stable during torture test, 100% stable during bench test. Still crashes in game sometimes.
    So, tell me more about weird stuff PCs doing. RMAing my PSU now, trying to get bottom of the problem.

Good luck my dude. I can only suggest to narrow down issue by replacing parts and testing.

10. dk_lightning

dk_lightning Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 970 4GB
    Small update on this.

I have an Avermedia Live Gamer HD PCIE Capture card but I have not had it in my PC since all this stuff began. Last night I put it back in my PC and Guess what? PFN LIST CORRUPT on boot up..

I had the card in my 2nd x1 Slot as my sound card is in the other. I tried it in the last x16 slot (x8 electrically) and windows booted fine and no BSOD.

I tried the card in the x1 slot again and got the BSOD once again. Why would it do that? The card is working fine as well. How odd.

In other news, I think I fixed all my other crashing issues for the most part. It turns out I had my RAM in wrong. I have 2 kits, 1 is 2133mhz the other is 2400 and instead of putting the ram in A1 +B1 I had 1 2133 stick and a 2400 stick in those slots so they was not matched. Since I noticed it and put the ram in the right slots its all been working fine. Win!

sverek and fantaskarsef like this.

11. dk_lightning

dk_lightning Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 970 4GB
    The saga continues.... Event log is full of nvidia driver crashes whenever games crash soo...

I decided to bite the bullet and upgrade my GPU from a GTX 970 to a GTX 1070 AND IM STILL CRASHING. F...M...L

Getting the message that overwatch or pubg or even windows has been blocked from accessing graphics hardware.

I have stressed everything in my system and tested and the only things that fail are Games. 3DMark or unigine will run for hours with no issues. I thought my PSU might be to blame but its voltages are rock steady after checking with a multi meter. 12.12V idle 12.00v under load. vcore is 1.336 under load 1.336 idle. 3.3v is 3.3 idle or load and 5v is also good. I have tried no OC on anything as well as under clocking ram gpu and cpu and still I get crashes. I have tried a fresh install of windows, older drivers. Windows 7.. all the same.

I just had overwatch crash "Application Overwatch.exe has been blocked from accessing Graphics hardware." no driver crash in event viewer this time tho.

This is really getting stupid now.. Maybe Ryzen just dont want to work for me. Was fine on Intel. I should go back. Ugh.

12. sverek

sverek Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    Did you try setting GPU in different PCI-exp port?

13. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2070 Armor
    What motherboard do you have? Might be a bios issue or even a faulty board I think.

Flash to latest, or most stable, bios ver. and reset CMOS just in case.

14. dk_lightning

dk_lightning Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 970 4GB
    Cant see it being the mobo as I have had it replaced 2 weeks ago. MSI X370 Gaming Plus.

15. DAW40

DAW40 Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1060 6GB
    I highly doubt it. Just for fun take your Rig off the power, and connected to normal surge and see what happens. But I highly doubt it. Has to be computer hardware instead of electric current.

16. dk_lightning

dk_lightning Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 970 4GB
    I have not been using the UPS since I started this thread.. I have not had any crashes this past 5 days I have not played anything as I have been busy with work.

17. jaggerwild

jaggerwild Master Guru

GPU:
    Many
    UPS can and will cause issue's with high end systems, google is your friend.

18. Clouseau

Clouseau Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS STRIX GTX 1080
    Personally gave up on UPS for same reasons. Ever since switched to only having a line conditioner connected to the PC...no problems. Just my 2 cents.

19. dk_lightning

dk_lightning Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 970 4GB
    Well, even with no UPS for months I am still having the same issues.....

20. sverek

sverek Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    Have you tried to narrow down issue? Remove GPU and run with iGPU for a week, see if crash happens.