Upgrading

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Des2000, Jan 30, 2001.

1. Des2000

Des2000 Guest

Hello --<P>I first posted this in the nVidia forum, but now realize that it may have been inappropriately placed, as it has received no response. The following repeats the original post. I apologize if this thread has run before, but I was unable to find a post that spoke to my issue.<P>I am currently considering a videocard upgrade, preferably to card that costs no more than $250. However, I wondered whether my system would set limitations on the kind of card I can purchase/use. My system is as follows:<P>Dell XPS R450<BR>PII 450<BR>21" Hitachi Monitor<BR>AGP 2x STB 128zx 8MB<BR>256 MB ECC SDRAM 100MHz DIMMS<BR>AHA 2940 U2W (into PCI slot 2)<BR>Jazz 2GB drive<BR>20 GB Western Digital EIDE HD<BR>9 GB IBM EIDE HD<BR>Turtle Beach Montego Bay-I Sound Card<BR>DVD Player Plus Decoder Card (unknown make-came with computer)<P>System chip set: Intel 440BX AGPset <BR>Data bus width 64 bits <BR>Address bus width 32 bits <BR>DMA channels 7 <BR>Interrupt levels 15 <BR>System BIOS chip 2 Mb (256 KB) <BR>System clock 100 MHz (matches external processor speed) <BR>Diskette/communications ports 48 MHz from the system clock <P>Bus types ISA, PCI, and AGP <BR>ISA expansion-card connectors 1 full-length <BR>PCI expansion-card connectors 3 full-length <BR>AGP expansion-card connector 1 full-length <BR>Shared expansion-card slots 1 full-length (slot contains both an ISA and a PCI connector, only one of which can be used at any given time)<BR>ISA bus frequency 8.33 MHz <BR>PCI bus frequency 33 MHz <BR>AGP bus frequency 66 or 133 MHz<BR>Plug and Play revision 1.2a <BR>PCI bus specification complies with PCI specification 2.1 <BR>PCI-to-PCI bridging supported <P>The main uses would be to play DVDs and play games "optimally." A TV out would be nice, as I may want to play DVDs from my computer to my TV (a Sony 26" Wega). I have heard of HDTV options, but this is not necessary.<P>I hope I have provided enough detail. Again, I apologize if this topic has been discussed, as I realize that these kinds of post can be a nuisance.<P>Thank you for your help.

2. I really recommend a GeForce2 MX with your system. You'll love it.<P>------------------<BR>Hilbert Hagedoorn - Chief Editor<BR>- "Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else."

3. Des2000

Des2000 Guest

Thank you for the reply, Hilbert. I am looking forward to my purchase.

4. Matkw

Matkw Guest

If you have 250 dollars to spend dont get a GeForce2MX get a elsa Gladiac Geforce gts ddr I have found it as low as $209. it is the 3rd or fourth fastest card out there where as the 2mx is the 8th

5. Des2000

Des2000 Guest

Wow -- Thanks for the recommendation! I would love to hear others.<P>Again, thanks for your time.

6. Des2000

Des2000 Guest

I would like to thank you both for your suggestions. I was able to purchase a Leadtek Winfast GeForce2 GTS 32MB DDR for $184 (includes shipping). Also, in passing, I wish to thank Hilbert for making the forum and the website, <A HREF="http://www.guru3d.com," TARGET=_blank>www.guru3d.com,</A> available. It is liverly, helpful, and a powerful resource for the consumer.<P>Des

7. Des2000

Des2000 Guest

Hello --<BR>I simply *had* to write in and thank everyone here for the advice I found on <A HREF="http://www.guru3d.com" TARGET=_blank>www.guru3d.com</A> (in particular, Hilbert and the other poster). I finally purchased the Leadtek Winfast GeForce2 GTS 32MB, and am absolutely stunned by the performance and the number of utilities that come *with the box*. I did not expect -- and did not know -- that my 21" monitor could yield such stunning performance!<P>The card comes with the full version of utilities, such as 3 Deep and True Internet Color. 3 Deep is a very good utility, because it adjusts the color and shading of your monitor and "optimizes" it, both for games and the Internet (See the next paragraph about the Internet part). I can't explain the technology, but the changes are noticiable and pleasing. I played Star Trek Elite Force, and all I can say is "Wow!" <P>(Sorry that I can give you numbers, but I just don't know about that stuff.)<P>True Internet Color is kind of neat too. It takes the settings created by 3 Deep and deploys them wherever a website uses the technology. Admitedly, not many websites do use True Internet Color. But there are a few out there, available through a provided link. The colors appear "softer" to me on these websites. Of course, your impressions may differ.<P>If you are considering a Video Adapter upgrade, and have an AGP slot (2x, 4x) with specifications similar to mine (listed above), you will not regret the purchase. Installation was a snap (for me, anyway), and as for the utilities -- wow! You can even keep track of the temperature of your card! Check out the review on <A HREF="http://www.guru3d.com" TARGET=_blank>www.guru3d.com</A> to read more about the card.<P>I decided to forego the GeForce2 MX (the original suggested purchase option for me), and go for the newer GeForce2 GTS because the price difference was acceptable to me. I found a merchant selling the card for $183.98 total (includes shipping), which seemed like a good buy when I considered the more expensive Pro and Ultra versions of the GeForce2. I finally decided that the increased performance of these cards were not worth the extra dollars.<P>Of course, price is something you will need to decide for yourself. I was able to find GeForce2 MXs for half of the above purchase price. However, I could not find any reviews on these cards. Hence, I decided to play it safe and go for the card I've been reading about. I recommend that future upgraders consider doing simliar research: decide on the features you want, and then determine your price point. Pricewatch.com is a pretty good comparison site to help make your choice of merchant, and possibly, your choice of card.<P>Now, a word on the merchant. (I hope that making such comments is acceptable.)<P>I purchased my card through <A HREF="http://www.sg3d.com" TARGET=_blank>www.sg3d.com</A> located in CA. I found the site through the pricewatch.com website, linked to <A HREF="http://www.guru3d.com." TARGET=_blank>www.guru3d.com.</A> Anyway, I made the order on Wednesday, and received it Friday afternoon via 2 day shipping. (I live in Illinois.) They processed the order and shipped it that day. (Approximately in the afternoon. I tracked it.)<P>The entire process was streamlined. There were no hassles -- and no holding. My phone call got through right away, both before and after the purchase. (I had a question about the card itself, but the sales person cleared up the confusion.)<P>The box was in the shrink wrapping, very clean. Although the shipping box did not have any padding, this was not a problem. The video card was protected with foam and such inside the manufacturer's box (as to be expected); and the shipping box almost perfectly fit the dimensions of the manufacturer's box. Shaking the box did not cause a rattle that would suggest that there was some "real shaking going on" inside the box. The shipper, UPS, did not mangle the box in anyway. The entire package arrived in excellent condition.<P>Okay, well that's it. I just wanted to be thorough and share my experience with you, in case some of you are considering this kind of upgrade. Again, I am very happy with my purchase, and would recommend both this card and the online merchant to anyone who seeks a similar upgrade.<P>Best of luck,<P>Des