Upgrading time again.

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by wyndrusher, Dec 14, 2016.

1. wyndrusher

wyndrusher Master Guru

GPU:
    Palit 1070 SuperJetstream
    Hi all, thanks to a wonderful power surge I'm now in need of new parts for my pc. It fried pretty much everything, I managed to get rmas & repairs on some parts however I still need a new motherboard, cpu, memory & graphics card.

I've not been looking at parts for awhile now and was wondering what are good options right now? I was thinking something around an i5-6600k/i7-6700k a suitable motherboard & a gtx 1070. Any ideas on a decent motherboard & memory? (or better options on cpu/graphics card).

Thanks in advance!

2. Darkest

Darkest Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HD7950
    If you're willing to spend money on an i7, you should look at the X99 platform with a 5820K + as they work out similarly in price depending on where you live. I'd take slightly lower IPC and a 6c12t CPU over a 4c8t, and given how long you seem to keep your hardware it'd probably be the better option for you in the long run. That said, if you can hold out a little longer for Zen it'd probably be worth your while.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2016
  3. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus RX580 XTR 8GB
    You should probably wait for Zen and get yourself a 8c/16t CPU.

4. wyndrusher

wyndrusher Master Guru

GPU:
    If I could wait I would, I need it for work as well as play and doing my work on my old laptop doubles my work day, when is zen due?

5. Darkest

Darkest Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HD7950
    I'm seeing mixed information regarding the release, the only thing everyone seems to agree on is that it'll be Q1 2017. If you need your rig for work purposes I can understand why you wouldn't want to wait on that.

6. wyndrusher

wyndrusher Master Guru

GPU:
    Hmm q1 could be quite a while away sadly, so I honestly don't think I could wait that long, so let's leave zen for now out of the 1151 cpu/motherboard, do you have any info on which are decent? I tried looking and there's hundreds lol, some with so little difference I ended up scratching my head.

7. Darkest

Darkest Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HD7950
    I'd take a look at a 5820K (or Broadwell equivalent) with an Asus X99-A (Workstation) or MSI X99 SLI + personally, opt for 16-32gb of RAM in quad channel and you're good to go. GPU wise that's on you and how much you want to spend. A 1070 is a fantastic upgrade from what you were using, a 1060 (6gb) will give you about on par performance with what you had. If you don't mind AMD GPU's the rx480 is about on par with the 970 and should be better in upcoming DX12 titles.

8. wyndrusher

wyndrusher Master Guru

GPU:
    K thanks for the ideas, I'll have a good look into that chip ty.

9. thatguy91

thatguy91 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX 480 RS 4 GB
    I wouldn't look at an i7-5820K and the X99 motherboard now because the expense is quite high, and Zen looks to outperform it (and at a lower price point). If you don't mind not doing any heavy gaming, you could look at making a scratch system. You could get a motherboard, RAM, CPU, for less than the price of a single i5-6600K (which is much less than the i7-6700K, which is less than the 5820K system).

A good scratch system currently would be:
    AMD A10 7860K
    Gigabyte GA-F2A88XM-HD3P
    Kingston HyperX Fury HX318C10FWK2/8 8GB white (2x4GB)
    (this ram is also in HX318C10FRK2/8 (red) and HX318C10FK2/8 (blue)

Now if you want to keep your scratch system afterwards, you can get a decent but low powered PSU, since you don't need a discrete card with the APU above etc, or if you want to sell the parts get a decent PSU that you will use with the new system new year. Likewise with the SSD etc :).

This way you end up with a system you can do what you want to do with, do basic gaming etc, and gets you by. This is of course assuming you're not doing heavy video editing, graphics design work etc. Even if you don't get the money back on resale and you buy Zen, you will still be ahead over buying an i7-5820K etc now.

10. Darkest

Darkest Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HD7950
    This is totally dependant on locale, the Haswell-E build I was speaking about earlier is about the same in cost as a Skylake i7 build in the UK. I'm not sure why you're stating a definite when you're aware that isn't how it works. You're also pumping Zen as a definite improvement, we don't know the exacts yet as the hardware hasn't been released. Zen is worth waiting for, but it being an improvement over the likes of Haswell-E is totally unknown as of yet.

Regardless, a temporary scratch build might be an idea if the OP is open to that. The long term expense and hassle might not be worth his time, but that's up to him in the end.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2016

11. wyndrusher

wyndrusher Master Guru

GPU:
    Thanks for the idea of the scratch system, however the cost plus rebuilding again isn't really in my budget atm, plus I really want to get up and running again asap. Atm I'm between the i7-6700k & the i7-5820, the cost is about the same it's just a case of finding a good deal. Thanks for all the help, I'll keep shopping around :)

12. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080Ti H20
    5820 will be far more future proof.

13. wyndrusher

wyndrusher Master Guru

GPU:
    I found this bundle on overclockers, is there a better one for the i7-5820?

Code:
    https://www.overclockers.co.uk/gigabyte-ga-z170x-designare-intel-core-i5-i7-cpu-and-motherboard-bundle-bu-02c-gi.html#t=a1

14. wyndrusher

wyndrusher Master Guru

GPU:
    I managed to get a palit 1070 super jetstream, i7 6700k & GA-Z170X-Designare a cooler master hyper 103 cpu cooler & 32gb of avexir ddr 2400 for just under £650. I finally have a pc working again and managed to do my daily work in 7 hours instead of 8 very happy so far :)

Thanks for the assistance guys!

Last edited: Dec 19, 2016