1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Upgrading mobo

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards Intel' started by antonyfrn, Jul 13, 2019.

1. antonyfrn

antonyfrn Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070 FTW ACX3.0
    What do you think the chances are of having to reinstall windows upgrading from a M8 Hero Z170 to a M9 Hero z270 mobo?

2. Jagman

Jagman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX1070
    Assuming it's Windows 10 you wont have to reinstall. I'd uninstall chipset, audio, LAN drivers etc. then change the board but you should be OK. I've swapped a system from Intel to AMD before and Windows 10 copes really well.

Caesar likes this.
  3. antonyfrn

antonyfrn Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070 FTW ACX3.0
    Was wondering if i can get away with doing it that way as i dont feel like reinstalling windows unless i need to.

4. Caesar

Caesar Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070Ti Titanium

5. mezball

mezball Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX2080 Super
    It depends on which Windows key did you purchased. Was it retail, or an upgrade? Recently, I upgraded mobo, processor, and ram. But, when I tried to re-activated windows 10 pro, it was blocked. With the help with Microsoft service, reason for being blocked, was that my original key was windows 8 upgrade, which apparently was oem version, that was locked to my original hardware. So, I had to buy a new key. But do not buy from them, use one of Guru3D affiliates, : https://www.guru3d.com/articles-categories/affiliates.html