Upgrading is Expensive,so....

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards Intel' started by kpatrickm, Jan 7, 2008.

1. llerenaprincipe

llerenaprincipe Ancient Guru

GPU:
    DIAMOND X1950XTX 512MB, 650/2000Mhz
    they can trade their stuff for new stuff too
    u know
    if something newer comes out

2. Rochin

Rochin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX460 EE 1GB
    250 a week? I know thats in UK but how old are you. My wife makes a bit over 200 US a day and she is a teacher.

3. scatman839

scatman839 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080, KD55XD800
    Pretty much my university loan and bursary.

4. kpatrickm

kpatrickm Member Guru

GPU:
    8800GTX
    Good for your wife.I hope she buys you nice things now and again.I am 34 and a Postman.Postman or teacher you tell me who does the most worth while job(I will give you a clue,its not me).So I think your wife should make more.Buy the way I earn good money compared to alot of others who work there asses off for peanuts.Probably round about £9 per hour.

5. Rochin

Rochin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX460 EE 1GB
    I am not downing you or your ability. I was just wondering. It has not been that long ago that my family 4 were living on your current salary. Once my wife finished up her degree things started to look up. I am a starting writer/author so my salary is very up and down. Hopefully things will look up. Not sure how it works in the UK, but going back to college is usually worth while. I am currently getting my degree and I am half way through(at 31) may not be easy as most things are not, but it may be worth it.

6. John Dolan

John Dolan Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x GTX 780 SLI
    How old am i well im 49 and ive got 3 grandkids.£250 is decent wage in the uk.Dont forget £1 is = to $2 min wage here is around £5.60 a hour i think.If your wife earns 500 aday then thats how much a postman earns a week here.You live in america its a reach country and your goods are cheaper than ours.Some peaple work all week for a bowl of rice you know.

7. masterchiefx2

masterchiefx2 Banned

GPU:
    GTX 280 Sli
    i agree things in are america are soooo cheap tigerdirect > newegg our PC parts are expensive think the cheapest GTX here is 240 thats $480 in US probably get one for 350-400

Anyway just a bummer for us we always have to pay more Sh**** taxes

8. Rochin

Rochin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX460 EE 1GB

I was just asking how much the person made to get where they are comming from. I was not trying or intending to be rude, I did not expect to get attacked. Yes I know there are people that make a hell of a lot less than our postman friend here. I was not attacking anyone. I have seen threads here from 15 year old kids complaining about all the adults being able to buy stuff they cannot. If for some obsure reason I offended you, that was not my intention.

9. John Dolan

John Dolan Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x GTX 780 SLI
    Just to give you some idea of the difference.Here in the uk a gallon of gas is £5 so is 20 smokes so that would be like $20 just for i gallon and a pack of smokes.My CPU cost me £787 that would be like $1600.And most people in uk are on between £6 and £10 a hour.Im not offended just trying to put the difference in perspective is all.Im nearly 50 and i can tell you Ive never taken home £250 a week in my life.

10. kpatrickm

kpatrickm Member Guru

GPU:
    8800GTX
    Ah well at least this post has got people talking.Thats me always Bringing People Together.I should be made a Saint or atleast get a KnightHood.

And to John,nearly 50 presumably you are a Gamer John,with a setup like that?I hope I am still like that at 50.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2008

11. ScoobyDooby

ScoobyDooby Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080Ti & Acer X34
    The best way to get a nice rig is to:

a) do your research and find the best price vs performance parts so that you can maximize the value of what you buy

b) shop around and find where the best price is, and if it is online, find out which site offers the best shipping rates, as well as if you can bundle items in one shipment. NCIX does that and it can save you $

c) Sell your old parts once you realize that something better is coming along that will depreciate its value even more. Once you know that the price will drop more, its time to kiss it goodbye.

d) buy parts used on these forums, or on craigslist, kijiji etc. You can get some really good deals if you know where to look.

In my case, some of my parts are store bought, some bought online, and some bought used.

12. John Dolan

John Dolan Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x GTX 780 SLI
    Gamer yes been playing crysis for hours today now that sli work with the new patch i can play it maxed.My daughters are grown and left the nest and im retired with ill health so i game alot.

13. kpatrickm

kpatrickm Member Guru

GPU:
    8800GTX
    I cant wait to have a go at Crysis.Im just waiting for the funds to get my new rig.I will be building it myself,kind of ****ting myself a bit incase I mess up,but I should save a few bob.

14. i_am_vince

i_am_vince Active Member

GPU:
    MSI 8800Gts 320 OC (factory clocked
    hahaha, gosh US vs UK.... and you know what neither of you (in UK and US) is the worst and overcharged customers. Imagine fresh entry working people in my country maybe around 2000 and for example the cheapest 8800GTX is 1800, and a month if i am to use the 2000 for a McD meal only i can have 133 meals only (each meal cost at 15. But of course i can't, need to pay tax and others bills too). yet i dont think i am the worst overcharged customer as well. there will be others might be worse.
    and of course, here we cannot trade used hardware as well, so everything new, needs to pay full price.

kpatrickm, i dont think anyone trying to be sarcastic here.... well at least i am not. At least you are working and earning your own money. I remember couple years ago when i was in UK studying, I always see some people doesn't seem need to work as they are drunk before 11am. and i heard some of my mates said, UK welfare will give these people living allowance anyway. and young ladies with a child are also given allowance. But every country will have their own policies, no one else to complain.
    anyway, as others has said, going back to study and get a degree (if you have not already) is a good thing to do and always look for opportunities to earn the extra cash(legally).

15. kpatrickm

kpatrickm Member Guru

GPU:
    8800GTX
    WOW,thats some post,even having ago at our welfare system.Nice!

16. stevewrighty2k

stevewrighty2k Master Guru

GPU:
    Leadtek 8800gt 512mb
    I usually always buy online, its way cheaper, especially ebay shops.

Usually do allot of research, so i get most bang for my money, and as mentioned, sell my old stuff on ebay to contribute towards costs. Have used credit cards, but thats a bad idea....

I usually wait till products have been out a while and cost drops, only product ive bought hot on heels after it was released was my new 8800gt graphics card i got last week, but been looking at new graphics cards for months (plus ive been living with parents for past few months rent free, simply because living in flat in London obliterated my finances when i was left paying rent and bills by myself!)

women eh... :)

wish i was in a job i could work overtime when i needed a wee bit of extra cash, but cant complain really

17. Darkfall

Darkfall Master Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D 8800GTS OC 640MB
    I have no kids yet :)... maybe soon that will change, and then my PC will rot away until its like a 486 in todays tech.

I have a good budget set. I live and rent with my girlfriend. We pay half of everything together. She earns roughly the same amount each week as me. We pay everything each week, and what I have left is mine, what she has left is hers.
    Yeah, I've got it good ;)

Edit: Credit cards are my key to PC hardware. But I know I can pay it off, I never ever use them in excess. Never miss any mandatory payment and put as much as I can on it. It is always good to have a positive amount on your credit card, then its just like a debit card.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2008
  18. stereoxide

stereoxide Member Guru

GPU:
    Asus GeForce GTX 260
    A job. But Im in college so most of my money goes to my tuition and apartment and living cost (and girlfriend). But sometimes I save enough to get something for myself (which tends to be something tech related most of the time). Then I also usually sell the part that I just replaced so Id have extra $$$.

19. sylvester

sylvester Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070
    kpatrickm, you are asking where people get the money/parts? There is no black market in cheap computer parts that I am aware of if that is what you are asking, but I could be out of the loop ;) you never know. But if you shop around on the net you can get stuff a lot cheaper than PC World is all, which has huge markups due to retail overheads, which is their problem. Go with ebuyer or scan or dabs and you will not go wrong, they are responsible.

I dont get a lot of money either. IMHO the problem is sorting out your own priorities so you dont waste the money you do make. Do you dare to tot up how much you spend on cigs a year and post it here! Not being nasty now but what else do you waste money on that you could do differently and save yourself some money? Fast food? It might be that a lifestyle change could help you get healthier and have more money. (Well you asked :p)

As for whether you do a useful job, of course you do, where would I be without my post? But people dont get paid on the basis of how useful they are being, they get paid by what the market will stand. If the RM company does not give you enough for your work it is your duty to find one that does. I am serious, just talking about enlightened self interest here. Its deregulated now so competitors will be looking for good workers; meanwhile crap management will get their just deserts.

As for hardware compatibility you need to do your homework because if you get the wrong stuff it is your lookout, so you are right to think about that. But it is doable. Just read up on system building (static straps etc) and google forums for comments on parts you have in mind and find out compatibility issues. Post intended specs for others to comment on. A few hours work can save expensive blunders. Also do not buy cutting edge, you can save yourself a bundle and all the issues will have been discovered and resolved... or not, in which case you can avoid the parts.

Overclocking has two uses, one is extending the cutting edge, the other is to get the best performance out of the cheapest kit. The latter can be as rewarding as former in its own way, especially with the Core 2 parts.

20. kpatrickm

kpatrickm Member Guru

GPU:
    8800GTX
    Oh yes I dare,I dare.About £1500 a per year on Cigs.