1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Upgrading...Good time or wait???

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards AMD' started by Keith Wing, Jan 15, 2004.

1. Keith Wing

Keith Wing Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 470
    I am planning on upgrading the first of February possible but haven't decided if I should do it then or wait. I don't have a good reason to upgrade except I like to stay caught up and play lot's of demanding games and run distributed computing projects. :) I currently have an Athlon 2500+ running at 2.25 GHz and I am wondering if upgrading to an Athlon 64 3200+ would be worth it. One of the benefits of the 64 bit I thought was more RAM but most of the boards say they only support 3 Gig??? Also with the new highspeed buses on them should they require much faster RAM? Most of the boards say they just use DDR400. From what I have seen I am thinking I should wait until things mature a little more in the 64 bit arena. Any thoughts or advice welcome.

Keith

2. NIB

NIB Master Guru

Well i dont know much about amd but here it goes.

Yes and no. Actually even 32bit cpus can support more ram. Network Appliance's storage systems have p4s and they can use up to 16gb of ram(maybe more). There are several tricks of bypassing the ram limit that cpu architecture sets(which i dont know but i know that it can be done).

The 3gig limit is mostly cause of mobo limit and not a cpu limit. Currently amd's 64bit mobos have many problems with ram. They are picky, they need registered ram and they have many compatibility problems with specific ram brands and modules(read toms hardware review or visit some mobo's site to see their supported ram list). I am sure these little problems will soon be solved.

What do you mean require? As long as its ddr memory, it is supported(theoritically). They still have 200mhz bus i think but they have the hyperbus or something like that technology(i know nothing about amd).

Definetely wait for more. There arent any good mobos out there with locked pci/agp(via's is good but you cant lock pci/agp on it thus no overclocking, nvidia's 150 has castrated bus or something that greatly affects perfomance on some specific applicatons and i never trusted sis). They need registered memory i think(or is it only the FX?). Memory compatibility problems. And i think the the FX(or and the plain 64 too?) will change socket soon.

Anyway thats my opinion. As i said, i know nothing about amd so i might be wrong about certain things. Maybe my next cpu will be amd considered that prescott doesnt look so good right now.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2004
  3. ZioniX

ZioniX Maha Guru

GPU:
    Leadtek WinFast A6600 GT TDH
    Answer = Wait!
    IMO, you better wait till:
    1) A worth mobo appears for the AMD64 proc(not that they're currently all bad, but both nV and VIA board have some probs)
    2) PCI- Express appears
    3) DDR-II appears
    4) BTX appears
    5) New socket for the AMD proc finally appears

If you buy a PC now, you gonna miss all that(By Q3 this year, every of the above features will be already available).
    Note that your current PC is still very good, even for forthcoming games. Really it would be advisable to hold on and wait for the above.

@ NIB:
    There's a few inaccuracies(don't have time to say where) but overall it's good. ;)

4. Grov

Grov Guest

Definatly wait, a Barton XP at 2.25ghz is smokin man!:cool:

5. WildStyle

WildStyle Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970
    I'd wait... You're current computer looks good enough to me. :)

6. Neal

Neal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia Ti4200 128mb
    wots BTX btw?

7. ZioniX

ZioniX Maha Guru

GPU:
    Leadtek WinFast A6600 GT TDH
    Balanced Technology eXtended (BTX) - The new case/mainboard form-factor which will have an improved system ventilation! (Something needed considering that the heat dissipation of PC components, is ever increasing. ATX is gonna be dead soon! :rolleyes: )

8. WildStyle

WildStyle Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970
  9. Blissed

Blissed Master Guru

GPU:
    Inno3d 8800GTS 320mb
    That's the advice I would give as well. I have also heard rumours that AMD might be going to offer Athlon64 processors (without the 64-bit support!!) to replace the current Athlon range to encourage migration across to the Socket 939 form.

10. Im not sure that i like the nearing death of ATX. i have plenty of money invested in my computer and i would like to continue to upgrade pieces of my comp as they become out-dated. THE LAST THING THAT I WANT TO DO IS BUILD A WHOLE NEW COMPUTER!!!:whip::bang: :s3d: :flame: :bat: :flip2: :no:
    sorry for the use of all caps and long string of smilies, but i feel that they come somewhat close to how i feel. I am for new technology but this is exactly what i dont want to hear. ARGHHHH!!! i am so angry and confused, i need comforting :thumbdown :bawl: im going to sleep on this but my dreams will be nightmare of my wallet becoming empty:bawl:

11. This so called new technology just another way to get your money. Why cant ATX components be compatable, because that would decrease the amout of money that computer companies get. As i said I currently have a lot of money invested in my computer and have little intention to buy a bunch of new parts because my current ones arent compatable with this crappy re-arranged motherboard. If people really want some heavy duty, silent cooling, use water cooling, dont make people buy a whole new computer just so that it will be cooler. i dont know how many of u got that out of that article, but if ur current computer is too hot, do u want to go and buy a new one that only slightly colder? HELL NO! i refuse, and the computer companies can kiss my a$$!!

12. r3claim3r

r3claim3r Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 FE
    I would love to have your current Barton and memory. Personally, I think an Athlon 64 is still too expensive to be worthy of buying, especially considering the system you already have. Keep your setup. It's still excellent (better than mine.);)

13. I would like to say that this new form fator was designed for less heat. I would not say that computer companies are losing money no their computers. they screwed themselves and are looking for a way out. they offered too much porcessing power to the market, and now the AJ(average joe) has more processing power than he knows what do do with it. HE can do everything he can imagine on it(lets just say hes kinda dumb to average with computers).the AJ doesnt need to buy another computer, b/c he has excess power to check his email and surf the web. it supply and demand, the demand plateaued but the supply of great new better technology took off.the computer companies have an excess of computer parts sitting around and the only way to get rid of them in a sensable way is to change formats and declare the old ATX obsolete. the AJ doesnt need a 3Ghz comp, but he has one and for him hes set for a couple of years. the computer companies want his money and if he doesnt buy a comp for 3+ years then the computer companies arent making too much. this is exactly why the format is changing, and if u dont believe me you can float around in your dream word where the computer companies are your friends. Back to the heat part of the case. as stated before in this forum there are cheaper meathods to get more cooling(rather than buy a new computer), and the AJ doesnt give a crap about his computers heat, it is a way to cover up the computer companies true motives(like all other companies in a captialist society, to get your money.)the only people that truely care about their computer's heat are tweaker's and it is true that they are not in the business equation, but the AJ isnt going to care about the new format if his computer works fine and does what it needs to do,surf the internet, which i should add is a very demanding task.lol. this new foramt is a business decision and they had to make this decision to get themselves out of a deep hole they dug. I would like to add that i will be the very last if ever person to switch to BTX(Broken Technology eXtended, i liked that quote) and i hope that their business decision leads them to a very dark and nasty place.

14. Grov

Grov Guest

I read about this BTX in PcGamer. Sounds interesting, but if i can;t stick my current setup in it, it's a joke. It;'s not as iff current PC's are in danger from heat, it's just not ideal, the nise is the thing that anoys me.

15. Keith Wing

Keith Wing Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 470
    Well, thanks for all the info. I hadn't even heard anything about the BTX cases until now. I agree that the heat argument is a real joke. They could change case designs and channel air past the cpu and not have to change the boards. I have heard some info about the PCI Express but I am wondering if it is really needed. From what I understand AGP 8x isn't even needed.

Thanks,
    Keith

The best thing I did for cooling my OC'd 2400+ was get a 2500+. It is OC'd more than the 2400 and running at only 1.7v vs. 1.775!!

16. heffeque

heffeque Ancient Guru

GPU:
    nVidia MX150
    Building a totaly new computer is dangerous... only if you do Linux and stuff... but M$ should have driver updates often enough to keep the thing stable.
    Also... another reason to wait is that the newer AMD boards won't be 754 or 940, they will be 939 exactly, I'm not sure that they will be compatible, but who knows...

17. Koen

Koen Guest

It sounds to me your system is good i would'nt worrie about it right now.There will be new BTX cases out buy the end of the year and most likely alot of use will be building new systems ina year or so .I'm looking foward to the new btx cases and pci express it will be interesting to see what it will be like .
    just my opnion though:D

18. Xelorz

Xelorz Master Guru

GPU:
    BFG Tech 7900 GS 256MB
    BTX is crap, in some forms it is better but it certainly is not a massive imporvement over ATX. It seems to me like a ploy by the computer industry to force you to buy a new case.

19. Not only a new case, but a new system. if i cant use my current parts in it, then it is a load of crap.

20. Neal

Neal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia Ti4200 128mb
    no...BTX seems like a logical progression from ATX...i mean its the best time 2 change the form factor since, most of the parts we have now wont be compatible with BTX boards...pci express, DDRII, etc etc ...i really dont understand y every1 is gettin so vicious about it, i mean upgrading part by part is good, but theres a point wher u cant upgrade anymore, and u might as wel buy a new system...if u say this is a ploy, then y dont u start on the whole AGP vs PCI Express...since AGP is yet 2 maximised in its use, but stil we are moving on to this new architecture...