1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Upgrading for games in 2012?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by zhengzhoudave, Jan 19, 2012.

1. zhengzhoudave

zhengzhoudave Master Guru

GPU:
    4GB EVGA GTX680 FTW 2xSLI
    Hi all, I've just been reading the recommended specs for Mass Effect 3 and it got me thinking; How powerful does my rig actually need to be in 2012? I know that it'll run that pissy console port without any problems, if I can be bothered to play it (my social calender certainly has the room for it). However; with the exception of a few games, namely Crysis/2 maxed out and for some odd reason Skyrim and also if I'm honest the AA in BF3 my rig can handle it's games. It also looks set to handle pretty much everything on the calender in 2012 with relative ease. I'm not sure I will even need to upgrade at all this year?

Will you be upgrading your GPU, perhaps to a 7970 or better, if the new Nvidia's are? Maybe you're thinking of a nice new Ivy Bridge or some more RAM? Or, do you think it's just an unessential expenditure for 2012? Are any games coming out I might have missed that will be pushing the hardware this year? and if so, what hardware?

What will you be upgrading and more importantly, WHAT FOR? I suppose this is for people who can run stuff quite well right now!

2. bdub5886

bdub5886 Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1070 G1 Gaming
    Well I just upgraded my cpu,mb,and ram because I wanted to. The only thing I might upgrade is to a ssd. My 5850 still does a good job, its in the same category as your 6870. I also don't use alot of AA.

3. Tat3

Tat3 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS R9 380 4gb
    No idea, depends on what kind of settings, resolution and fps you want.

Wait and see ? Upgrade if there is a need for it ?

4. zhengzhoudave

zhengzhoudave Master Guru

GPU:
    4GB EVGA GTX680 FTW 2xSLI
    you got a 2500k, nice! best CPU for gaming value! I want an ssd, but not yet!

5. automaticman

automaticman Master Guru

GPU:
    R9 290 Vapor-X

Guarantee your first boot up with an SSD is an "Ooohh....why didn't I do this earlier?" moment. Immediately noticeable difference.

6. anf

anf Active Member

GPU:
    650 ti boost 1 gb evga
    upgrading for 2012

I will be upgrading my 1090t phenom 6 core to a i7 2600k..... I have already gotten new motherboard and 16 gigs corsair ram.... I do not play real fancy games but have heard a lot about the better performance of i7 sandy bridges..
    I am sick of amd....also got a new haf 912 case peter kansas:pc1:

7. OneMustFall

OneMustFall Active Member

GPU:
    PNY gtx 460 1gig
    I pretty much upgraded already,might see what new cards will come out but im think im good to go for awhile.
    Maybe a new gaming key board only real thing i may need.

8. Matt26LFC

Matt26LFC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HD630 :(
    ^^ Just picked up the Roccat Isku, not bad, not bad at all.

9. pokerapar88

pokerapar88 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Amp!
    i5 2500k is as good as an i7 2600k for gaming. multitasking wise, i7 is the king. I will be upgrading to ivy bridge later on for the sake of lower wattage, temps and more OC headroom :)
    VGA wise, I will save for a couple of moths and get a nice high end card so i forget about upgrading it for a long time :)

10. Matt26LFC

Matt26LFC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HD630 :(
    ^^ So far theres nothing in IB that suggest more OC headroom, people are i believe expecting around 5Ghz and not 5.5Ghz+ that some seem to think will happen.

I for one hope it does, give me a bigger incentive to upgrade from this Hot Bloomfield :(

11. Cambria

Cambria Banned

GPU:
    8800GTS 320MB
    I will check out nvidias new hardware. But I dont really need to. My G80 is still doing just fine in the gaming world. Really wish I had got the 768MB version though, as the limited VRAM does show itself in some games.