Upgraded CPU+Mobo but got no improvement.

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards AMD' started by The_Hermit_1971, Nov 1, 2009.

1. chuck216

chuck216 Active Member

GPU:
    XFX Radeon RX 480 8GB
    I think I know what your problem may be.

Run CPU-Z and check the number of processors/threads. I'm betting it's less than 4. if it is open task manager and go to the Performance tab, if there aren't 4 graphs in the CPU Usage History section, then windows isn't accessing all 4 cores of your CPU.

If this is the case it's really easy to fix.

Just Click START, type config.sys in the search bar, click on System Configuration in the list, when it opens go to the Boot tab, then click Advanced Options, on that tab there should be a check box next to Number of processors and a drop down menu, with the number of processors. it might not show all 4. Uncheck Number of processors. Check the box next to "Detect HAL", click OK,and reboot your system.

After it reboots go back to System Configuration, Boot Tab, Advanced Options, check the Number of Processsors and go to the drop down menu and select 4. Then Uncheck the box next to Detect HAL. Reboot again.

Then open CPU-Z and the performance tab in task manager to confirm that all 4 cores are showing up, then run Vantage again.

Your score should improve a little.

Also since you have a AMD/ATI Based chipset you might want to go with a 4890, or maybe one of the 5800 based ATI cards instead of NVidia Nothing wrong with Nvidia but there's a reason both ATI and Nvidia make their own Motherboard chipsets, and that's because they run better with the same manufacturer's cards. If you had an NVidia based MB I would have suggested an NVidia GPU.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2009
  2. The_Hermit_1971

The_Hermit_1971 Member

GPU:
    XFX 8600GT 256 MB
    All cores are running. Thanks for your replies.

3. chuck216

chuck216 Active Member

GPU:
    XFX Radeon RX 480 8GB
    I just thought of something... did you run the test under the same settings in Vantage? Your score for the Athlon II system is actually accurate for an 8600 gt under the Performance preset. Where 4250 is actually where that video card would score on Entry level settings.

That makes all the difference in the world.

4. The_Hermit_1971

The_Hermit_1971 Member

GPU:
    XFX 8600GT 256 MB
    You're right. Let's consider this thread answered.