Upgraded 1 Gig. to 1.5 Gig....

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by Keith Wing, Jun 19, 2005.

1. Keith Wing

Keith Wing Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 470
    I play Everquest II and Planetside along with many other popular games and this upgrade was certainly worth it. Both would lag and stutter while running the HD with 1 Gig. but now with 1.5 Gig. it is smooth as silk.

Keith

2. Roliath

Roliath Maha Guru

GPU:
    2x 6970 crossfire
    Yup. That would do it!
    I seriously think that by the end of this year/early next year 2 Gigs will become the norm.

3. Drizzt

Drizzt Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA Geforce 7800GT @ Stock OC
    Yeah I was talking to my friend about that. 2gb will be in soon. Look at fear beta 1gb minimum. BF2 goes over 1gb memory usage, yes still a beta, but 2gbs will be norm soon enough, especially if what is said about Longhorn is true.

4. Shadowsoldier

Shadowsoldier Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia Geforce GTX 660 ti

The developers said that those who were able to run HL2 at full can run F.E.A.R. Dude, plz research more.

5. r3claim3r

r3claim3r Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 3080 XC3 Ultra
    I say thanks to BF2, 2 Gigs is now the standard.

6. computerdude

computerdude Guest

Might as well upgrade to 4gb and save the hassle of having to do it in the future.

7. Little

Little Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2070S 2.1/15.8
    ive been runnin 2gigs for bout 6 months now. i planned ahead

8. computerdude

computerdude Guest

I'll get 2gb or more later not because a game says you need to upgrade. When I need to, I will.

9. gram_vaz

gram_vaz Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Leadtek 6800GT
    lmao @ all of you. 2gigs is in no way going to become the norm for gaming. the majority of casual pc gamers are still gaming with 512mb for crying out loud. lol.

10. Shadowsoldier

Shadowsoldier Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia Geforce GTX 660 ti

1 gig will be the max for a while. I dunno where you people are comin from with the 2 gig thing.

11. computerdude

computerdude Guest

BF2 That's where.

12. scheherazade

scheherazade Ancient Guru

GPU:
    fullHDs
    true...

if i look at my proc list BF2 exe takes up in the mid 800's (megabytes) usually.

nice to be able to hold that and still have no swap file :). no grinding noises is always a plus for me. worth the 2 gigs imho. but that's just me.

-scheherazade

13. computerdude

computerdude Guest

Why can you play Doom3,HL2,Farcry with 1 gig or less? Hmmmm.........

14. Little

Little Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2070S 2.1/15.8
    youll see soon enough

15. omarmakki

omarmakki Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D GeForce 6800 (12x1,6vp)
    Well, if BF2 takes 800MB. Then with an OS with no apps. in the background (like mine:)) it should run smooth on 1gb...

16. Fulgore04

Fulgore04 Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS Geforce 980 Strix
    I might upgrade to 1.5 gigs of ram, i'm pretty sure no game coming out this year will really need 2 gigs to run flawlessly, but right now with battlefield2 i will need another 512mb of ram for absolute smoothness, right now i'm getting decent performance with textures and lighting sliders on medium, but in july i'm gunna upgrade to another 512mb of ram for the full smooth as silk ride! + maxed settings

17. sonic7

sonic7 Member

GPU:
    Hercules 3D Prophet 9800Pro 128MB
    Because they were not programmed by Dice/EA?! :D

18. FirePhoenixCtk

FirePhoenixCtk Active Member

GPU:
    X1900xt 512mb
    lol, im probabaly gona be going 2 gigs soon, when i play bf2 i can run it smoothy with the os only an my firewall in the background everything else shutdown

19. Billabong

Billabong Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 9800GTX
    I don't lay claim to pre planning, just had the cash at the time so why not. :D

I have been thinking about this :p

EDIT: @ gram_vaz ................. in all these threads about 2gig of ram you seem rather reluctant to even consider the idea, what is your reason for your opinion ??? cashflow problems :p:p lol

Last edited: Jun 20, 2005
  20. LinkDrive

LinkDrive Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Toaster
    if ur not gonna play bf2 then getting 2 gigs is pretty much pointless and a waste of money at this time. i orderd an extra gig for my pc bringing it to 2gigs dual channel then soon returned it to get my $160 back. no way in hell im gonna spend that much for only a 10% boost. now look at the price for 512mb ddr400...its pretty cheap

if you wana play bf2 but dont have the 2 gigs, just lower the af to 4x and run no aa (or just lower the viewable distance), then jack the rez to either 1280x960 or 1600x1200...even with this rig at all high settings (4x af 0x aa) 1600x1200 the game runs at average 25 fps or so, no hitches and looks completely awsome

Last edited: Jun 21, 2005