Upgrade.. what will give the most performance?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Mastersetter, Mar 19, 2009.

1. Mastersetter

Mastersetter New Member

GPU:
    GeForce 9800GTX+ 512mb
    Hi folks, I'm looking to do a small upgrade, either change my 8800gt to a better card, or change my clocked e4300 @3ghz to the q6600. Any ideas? I'm mainly looking for more fps & the ability to run with aa & af enabled.

2. deltatux

deltatux Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    just upgrade to the 9800 or the GTX260 if you want to stick to NVIDIA.

If you're not a stickler to brand names, I'd actually recommend the Radeon HD 4850 or 4870.

deltatux

3. BaDmOfO

BaDmOfO Maha Guru

GPU:
    2 x Evga sc GTX 780
    Instinctively I would have to say your video card would give you the biggest bump in performance. Although some game engines, like the Source engine, are more cpu intensive, and you would benefit quite a bit from a cpu upgrade.

4. deltatux

deltatux Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    even if it is, the CPU intensity doesn't affect that much. L4D on an Athlon 64 X2 and on a Phenom II X4 performs basically the same. The only difference is via the GPU, not the CPU.

So his CPU is good.

EDIT: Actually looking at the details of the processor, maybe a CPU bump wouldn't be bad either since it's an Allendale core which only has 2 MB L2 cache... but it's up to his choice. The FPS difference won't be that big of a difference through a CPU upgrade compared to a big jump on a GPU upgrade.

deltatux

Last edited: Mar 19, 2009

5. Mastersetter

Mastersetter New Member

GPU:
    GeForce 9800GTX+ 512mb
    Thanks for the ideas lads, would a second 8800gt give me any improvement? Or change to a newer card altogether?

6. DSK

DSK Banned

GPU:
    HD5770/BenQ G2220HD
    yeh if you can grab another 8800 your looking at gtx280 performance

7. Doug

Doug Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 970
    You mean a 9800GTX+ don't you?

8. BaDmOfO

BaDmOfO Maha Guru

GPU:
    2 x Evga sc GTX 780
    I agree that it wouldn't be that big of a jump, but CPU does really matter in the source engine, GPU is always first choice for upgrading when considering game performance, but his 8800 still has some life left in it.

We still don't know what games he's trying to play...

http://www.pcgameshardware.com/aid,667611/Left-4-Dead-GPU-and-CPU-benchmark-review/Reviews/?page=3

9. Mastersetter

Mastersetter New Member

GPU:
    GeForce 9800GTX+ 512mb
    True, im playing farcry2 atm. It runs well at full detail, 1600res but with the filters turned off so quality is ok, but a few jagged lines are here and there :eek:) So i wanted to be able to run these and not loose many frames. Im into first person shooters and racing sims like rFactor and GTRevo too so need things to be moving fairly quickly ;o)