Upgrade to Windows 11 quite possibly is free, for Windows 7 and 8.1 users as well

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jun 17, 2021.

1. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    Keeping the OS up to date is one of the best ways to have any semblance of security. Things like this will happen, but they're irrelevant of the big picture is a billion computers running all the productive software in the world.

2. Dribble

Dribble Master Guru

GPU:
    Geforce 1070
    Which is why windows 11 will be free. The only way Microsoft can sensibly maintain security is keeping everyone on the latest and greatest version. Continuously updating software is how things are done now. Also I fully expect windows 11 to be much more integrated to the cloud, and you don't want some huge variety of patch levels on everything trying to talk to the cloud component of it.

3. PrMinisterGR

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    It would be really interesting if it's finally free, or they just extend the "upgrade" inherited from Windows 10.

4. H83

H83 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Duke GTX1080Ti
    That´s the issue, it´s just a semblance of security and not real security.

There are still lots of ways to compromise Windows and as we move more and more towards the "cloud", OS security becomes less relevant.

Forced updates are just a way for MS to do whatever they want with the software we have installed in our computers...

At most they could made security updates mandantory and the others optional but they are not interested on that, of course...

5. PrMinisterGR

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    Haven't seen many posts lately that wanted me to paste this gif:
    [​IMG]
    What is the "cloud"? What does it mean? You still have a local OS, with a local kernel, local device drivers, local access data to the "cloud" and local copies of even the "cloud" data. These are just buzzwords, if anything a local OS install (even on something like a phone), has a TON more data than what it used to have, even if it is to be synchronized with the "cloud".

There are a lot of known ways to compromised unpatched versions of Windows, this is correct, and you're making my point.

Forced updates is the only way to force the unwashed masses not to create a literally cancerous mass of infected computers, which is exactly what all the old XP installations ended up being. There are no updates that don't involve security. Even new features change code that works in the OS itself and set an new baseline. The hardware is "yours", but the software definitely isn't.

If I was MS, I would go the Apple way. Have hard cutoffs and just shut it down from a point on.

6. H83

H83 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Duke GTX1080Ti
    The cloud is basically an way of providing services through the internet without the need to install files locally on our computer. You probably know this much better than i do and has become a big bet from MS, since Nadella became the CEO, so i don´t understand why you say it´s just a buzzword unless i didn´t explain myself properly.

Not to mention Google has an OS built around cloud services and gaming is going to be another cloud service in the future.

Anyway, regarding security, having an updated OS is better than one non update, of course, but my point is that with more and more services being provided through the cloud and through apps, then the security from the OS becomes "secondary".

From what i understand, right now browser security is probably more important than the the security from the OS, but i could be wrong.

Of course, there´s the Apple way of security, using an walled garden. An option that´s bad for the consumers and has limits regarding security, because it´s impossible to check every possible app available on the store.

And it seems Apple is starting to have lots of problems with security because of that.

The price of success...

7. XantaX

XantaX Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX1660 Super OC
    Yep same key....

Undying likes this.
  8. MonstroMart

MonstroMart Maha Guru

GPU:
    RX 6800 Red Dragon
    For sure. But replacing the current drivers by less stable ones is not. I like windows 10 but every time there's a big update even if i selected to not update third party software it replaces some of my drivers and my system becomes unstable.

9. WoenK

WoenK Active Member

GPU:
    Vega 64
    Win7 Pro key worked as well here ( unless I mixed them up ).
    Read a lot of people not caring about the centered thing,,,,, I would definately not call myself a poweruser, but simply moving the mouse to the most botttom left corner instead of aiming somewhere in the middle does improve my workflow. Same goes for not having a taskmanager with a right click in the taskbar.
    New icons look "new", would not call them nice.
    Had trouble creating a KVM on Epyc (unusable out of the bos), Hyper-V was the real thing but besides that....a new skin missing stuff one was used to...might be friendly to users, but for admins troubleshooting its a horror

10. Dribble

Dribble Master Guru

GPU:
    Geforce 1070
    It's basically doing what google do with chromebooks for windows. I can go to any chromebook, log on and use it like it's mine, all my data and applications are in the cloud. Sure it might need to download stuff but it should just work. Equally it means if my machine dies I can just buy another one, log on and off we go, nothing lost. All the drivers and surrounding stuff are automatically kept up to date in the background, I never have to worry about them. It just happens.

That I suspect is the windows dream and what they will be working towards with windows 11....

11. Picolete

Picolete Master Guru

GPU:
    R9 290 Sapphire Tri-x
    T

There was another update that killed a lot of web cams(i think it was 2004)

12. marcolau

marcolau Member

GPU:
    gtx 980 4gb

Dream on, and it sucks even more

13. marcolau

marcolau Member

GPU:
    gtx 980 4gb

Simple put ..it is the worst os ms had made so far so it has to deal with the resistance of ppl who hate it , don't want it hence they'll never pay for it.
    Win 11 is already worse than 10 , non resizable task bar , windows borders that will make u go blind in case u are not already ............that alone makes me wish not to use it

14. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS RX 470 Strix
    And then the super fun one, which was a forced update that deleted a lot of important user fines..... which I think Microsoft was taken to court over by an individual? I think..... not 100% sure.

15. PrMinisterGR

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    I understand this, trust me. The issue is that this makes the role of the local machine even more critical, security-wise.

16. geogan

geogan Master Guru

GPU:
    3070 AORUS Master
    [​IMG]

sykozis likes this.
  17. H83

H83 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Duke GTX1080Ti
    Shouldn´t be the other way around, with local computers becoming more and more like dumb terminals?...

18. GreenAlien

GreenAlien Active Member

GPU:
    Sapphire Nitro+ RX 480 OC
    It better be free. They told me 10 was the last windows.

19. PrMinisterGR

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    It's just memes at this point. There are no "dumb terminals". Even an iPhone is many times more powerful than a computer from ten years ago. Big data doesn't mean that the terminals are slow, in fact it means the opposite, they need to be smarter, and safer, since they need to be trusted by data going to other devices and cloud devices also.

20. H83

H83 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Duke GTX1080Ti
    Dumb terminals has nothing to do with how powerful the device is but is about devices whose sole purpose is to connect to others who do all the heavy lifting.