Upgrade Time

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards AMD' started by Jonnygrunge, Jan 14, 2021.

1. Jonnygrunge

Jonnygrunge Member Guru

GPU:
    RTX Inno3D 3090 AC
    Hi All,

Really considering moving over to the red corner!

At the moment I have a 9900K (5GHz) but really like the look of the new Ryzen CPU's.

I am considering pairing the Auros Ultra X570 with either the 5800X or 5900X, question is it will be purely for gaming, what would you guys recommend?

Some places I have looked people are advising the 5800X as it only has one CCD, and due to this performs well. Ryzen is new to me, been Intel since 2006, any advice is appreciated...

2. bobmitch

bobmitch Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2080 TI XC
    True about the 5800X...one CCD. Tends to run a bit hotter than the rest of the 5000 series....get a good AIO and you should be fine. The 5900X is THE chip to get...only $100 more than the 5800X. Either way...you can't go wrong. One caviat about the 5000 series and motherboards...make sure the motherboard has a bios that will recognize the 5000 series chips. Luckily...my MSI X570 Tomahawk has a bios flashback feature, where I was able to update the bios with no hardware attached. Gigabyte offers this as well. Flash the bios...then do the install...and everything should work. This gen Ryzen is incredible!

3. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus RX580 XTR 8GB
    You would probably think this guy is crazy when i say to you that your 9900k 5Ghz is probably faster than most Ryzen cpus out there. No need to upgrade yet. Intel isnt the option too becouse even the 11900k is just your 9900k on steroids.

XenthorX and jbscotchman like this.
  4. cucaulay malkin

cucaulay malkin Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX1070 STRIX
    nice cpus but in gaming you will not gain a thing going from 9900k to 5800x
    if you wanna splurge for fun then I'd get a faster memory kit like that 5.1G ballistix

5. jbscotchman

jbscotchman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1660 Ti Ventus
    There is no reason to upgrade at all if you're just gaming.

Undying and XenthorX like this.
  6. Kool64

Kool64 Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX2070S
    yeah "purely for gaming" Just keep what you have right now and maybe get a new GPU. While the AMD chips certainly are fast they aren't significantly faster than the Coffee lake chips.

7. Jonnygrunge

Jonnygrunge Member Guru

GPU:
    RTX Inno3D 3090 AC
    Appreciate the advice everyone, will just put the cash back away and stick with my CPU/Mobo, on a 3090 under water so not much more scope in the GPU department!

8. Kool64

Kool64 Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX2070S
    Theoretically you could get 5-10 or more once Intel and Nvidia get Resize bar working.