Upgrade Time

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by ReBeL, Dec 10, 2019.

1. Size_Mick

Size_Mick Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus GTX 1070 8GB
    I'm certain that compared to a 2012 machine whatever you wind up getting will be amazingly fast. If the difference isn't as big as you'd hoped, wait at least a decade before your next upgrade :p

2. ReBeL

ReBeL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2080 S 8GB
    Here's what I came up with:

AMD Ryzen 7 3700X
    Scythe Mugen 5 Rev.B
    ARCTIC MX-4 thermal compound
    ASUS AM4 TUF Gaming X570-Plus
    Fractal Design Define R6 USB-C (Gunmetal)
    Seasonic FOCUS Plus 750 Platinum
    MSI Gaming Geforce RTX 2080 Super 8GB
    Corsair Vengeance PRO 2x16GB DDR4 3200 C16 RAM

After taxes and all discounts applied, this comes in at $1,762. Unless I missed something lol...please tell me if I did. I decided to just stick with my Samsung SATA SSDs for now, so that's why there's no NVMe.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2019
    anticupidon and Size_Mick like this.
  3. Size_Mick

Size_Mick Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus GTX 1070 8GB
    Sounds like a winner to me. I'd buy it. Do you already have a 4k display or is that planned for later? Also maybe if you get Xmas money or a decent tax return you could by your new SSD. The prices are so good right now it's almost a crime not to get one.

4. ReBeL

ReBeL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2080 S 8GB
    I’ll be outputting to a 4K OLED TV for games. I basically game like a console setup.

5. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    ASUS AM4 TUF Gaming X570-Plus, best VRMs for that price bracket.
    Is the X570 motherboard I plan to upgrade, IF the price is right.
    And 3700X. - I See You're a Man of Culture -

One small suggestion - SCYTHE Fuma 2 SCFM-2000- only a few bucks more, but performs better.

6. ReBeL

ReBeL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2080 S 8GB
    I like that the Mugen is smaller and looks a little easier to install, and I think it will be more than adequate for my needs.

7. GarrettL

GarrettL Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus Strix 2070S
    Solid platform and guarantee you'll love the performance. It's was a very noticeable difference in speed from my i7 960. Gaming is smooth as butter.

ReBeL likes this.
  8. ReBeL

ReBeL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2080 S 8GB
    Any big BIOS highlights i need to look for, or should the Asus board I'm getting be properly configured out of the box for gaming?

9. GarrettL

GarrettL Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus Strix 2070S
    I have the 3800x, Asus TUF as well, Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200, RTX 2070S , Inland 1TB and Sabrent Rocket 1TB NVMe.

All I had to do was enable PBO I think it was? AMDs hyper threading whatever that name is. I can look at the pc later.

And that was it. Everything worked without any issue at all.

Also upgraded to a 1440p IPS 27” monitor. I don’t game nearly as much as I use to. This is the best gaming pc I’ve ever owned. Love it!

Oh, and it’s really fast.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2019
  10. ReBeL

ReBeL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2080 S 8GB
    It’s time.

[​IMG]

11. GarrettL

GarrettL Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus Strix 2070S
    Is it just me that can't see your attached picture?

12. ReBeL

ReBeL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2080 S 8GB
    I can’t get images to insert, apparently. It was just a picture of all the parts.

Got everything up and running last night. Happy to report the acoustics are tremendously better than before. Now I can hear my data HDD clicking/vibrating regularly, which I reckon was overshadowed by fan noise in the other rig. Kind of annoying when sitting right next to it...gonna look into some options. I briefly read something about elastic suspension being one of the best methods to cut down on HDD vibration. Or I guess I could replace it with an SSD, but 4TB SSDs ain’t cheap and it’s my understanding that when SSDs go kaput, it’s more difficult to recover data than a HDD. Lots of family pics and vids on it.

The main thing is you can’t immediately hear the PC just by walking into the general area, which was the goal.