Upgrade Time

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by ReBeL, Dec 10, 2019.

1. ReBeL

ReBeL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2080 S 8GB
    Help an old timer out!

Windows 7 support is ending, so I'm using that as excuse for a core upgrade. My last core upgrade was in 2012, and I'd like to get something similar to that sort of mileage out of my next build.

Budget: $1,800 [edited, increased from $1,500]

Components needed:

CPU
    Mobo
    RAM
    GPU
    1x minimum 500 GB NVMe SSD, 1TB or more preferable
    Case/cooling/fans

Goals:

1) Gaming, 4K with 60fps at better than medium settings in newest games.

Not looking for an average of 60 fps...I want it to never drop below 60 fps.
    I don't have time to game as much as I used to, but when I do, I want it to look good and play smooth.

2) Quietness

Every PC I've ever put together has just been way too loud, despite last time trying to get a PSU and case fans that were supposed to be quiet. I don't mind if it gets a little louder while gaming, but I don't want to be able to walk into the room and immediately know the PC is on because of the sound. I shouldn't have to resort to a fully water cooled setup to achieve this...my Dell Optiplex PC where I work is inaudible until you get right next to it, and I know it ain't water cooled. So I know the level of sound I want has to be possible with an air-cooled rig.

Thanks in advance for your help. I don't keep up with the PC hardware news and developments anymore, so trying to research from scratch is gonna be too overwhelming for me. I'd rather take advantage of the knowledge you all already have to get some suggestions and go from there.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2019
  2. Tat3

Tat3 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB GTX 1660 Ti OC
  3. cryohellinc

cryohellinc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6750XT/ MAC M1
    @ReBeL
    4k 60 fps in the newest games + quiet overall = you need to be realistic and bump that budget. $1500 won't get you anywhere near that.

GarrettL and fantaskarsef like this.
  4. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    Or be ready to make compromises.
    What will it be, more noise, less performance or higher budget?

5. Tat3

Tat3 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB GTX 1660 Ti OC
    That "medium settings" does help. Cant remember excatly but I played The Outter Worlds at 2560*1440 with R9 380 4gb. I think settings were about at medium. Dit not have fps counter on but felt smooth. I did not try Metro Exodus with that and few days ago installed GTX1660Ti to my PC.

6. cryohellinc

cryohellinc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6750XT/ MAC M1
    He states "at better than medium settings", meaning High.

Ok, and?
    Be more specific.
    Feeling isn't a fact, be more precise.

I assume your point is - you can achieve smooth gameplay with mediocre hardware on high resolutions. Yes and no - highly depends on the titles and especially when we are talking about 4k. 4k 60 fps is something that $1500 won't cut.

7. Tat3

Tat3 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB GTX 1660 Ti OC
    I think better than medium means that if you have 10 settings total, 9 at medium and 1 at high, that is better than medium.

Performance depends on title, prolly Cyberpunk2077 needs quite much, but not all. Typing this at work with phone so atm cant be more more specific about settings and like I said, I did not have fps counter visible.

8. Size_Mick

Size_Mick Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus GTX 1070 8GB
    If your budget is limited to $1500 you should try to reuse the case and etc. But definitely get a new power supply. Try to sell your old stuff for whatever you can get for it, to get a little extra cash (to help pay for the tax on the new parts if nothing else). EDIT just realized your case is too loud. Do you think its design is the problem, or just the fans? I've had the same case for 11 years now and I'm still happy with it.

Buy the CPU that has the best gaming performance for the money spent. There's an intersection that you don't want to go too far beyond, or you're throwing away money. Here's an example chart (I'm not going to speculate on its accuracy):

https://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu_value_available.html

But based on the numbers in this chart alone, not taking other factors into account like OC ability, I'd personally look at the Ryzen 7 3700X. It looks to be a good compromise between budget and performance. But of course others here might have more insight as to the best gaming CPU value. Other websites have charts with cost / performance ratios too but you'll need to google those for yourself.

For video I guess look into an OC'd 2070. My OC'd 1070 is only good for 1080p gaming on ultra settings, so I don't see how you're going to do that with anything but a 2080ti at 4k, and that might even be too much to ask for. Any chance of bumping your budget to $2500? Anyhow, here's the chart:

https://www.videocardbenchmark.net/gpu_value.html

I hope you find this advice useful and not a complete waste of your time.

9. ReBeL

ReBeL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2080 S 8GB
    I'm willing to up the budget if that's what it takes.

I put this together, and I believe I could get it all for under $1,800 with my 5% Amazon card discount:

AMD Ryzen 3900X
    Corsair H60 120 MM CPU cooler
    MSI MPG X570 Gaming Edge mobo
    16 GB G.Skill Ripjaws DDR4 3200Mhz
    512GB Samsung 970 Pro NVMe SSD
    eVGA 8GB GeForce RTX 2070 Super
    2x 120MM Corsair ML120 case fans
    Fractal Design Define R6 Black Tempered Glass case
    850w Corsair RM850 PSU

Would this do the job, at least for the desired performance? I haven't taken time to investigate the quietness aspect of each component, but based on my brief research this seems like a fairly high-end build. But if not, where is the bottle neck? GPU? Maybe I should just aim for 1440p for now and make a run at 4k as part of an incremental upgrade later.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2019
  10. cryohellinc

cryohellinc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6750XT/ MAC M1
    Solid build, however, instead of 3900x I would go for 3700x/3800x the cash difference invest into a better GPU.
    4k doesn't need a fast CPU nor many cores, unless you have some specific workflows where you need that CPU.

Netherwind, GarrettL and anticupidon like this.

11. ReBeL

ReBeL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2080 S 8GB
    Yes it looks like I could keep the overall cost at about $1,800 if I swapped out the 3900x for a 3800x, and the 2070 for a 2080. Is that going to be sufficient or would I have to step all the way up to the 2080 Ti? I believe I'd rather just live with 1440p for a while if that's the case.

12. jbscotchman

jbscotchman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1660 Ti Ventus
    If I were you I'd just go with a 3700x and maybe a 2080 Super. That should last a long while, but using 4k for default may cut the lifespan a bit.

cryohellinc and anticupidon like this.
  13. ReBeL

ReBeL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2080 S 8GB
    If I'm going to spend that much, then I'd just assume do something like this. Click "Overview" for a quicker compilation of the specs. Wouldn't have to bother with putting it together at all or setting it up, and it's lifetime warranty parts and labor.

As of the most recent comments I've upped the budget to $1800, and this includes a 2080 RTX Super. Where would you spend the extra $700 after that?

14. Tat3

Tat3 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB GTX 1660 Ti OC
    About that 2080Ti... Take a look at different games at 3840x2160.
    https://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/galax_geforce_rtx_2070_super_wtf_review,20.html

These 3840x2160 tests are at max settings, some times with AA and or AF on, and with few extra settings turned on. Averages do not give over 60fps all the time (for Metro Exodus it was 35 for 2070 Super), but turn AF off and lower details? The Witcher 3 would work fine with 2070 Super.

Metro with 2070 Super:
    https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/20...erformance-how-to-get-the-best-settings-2/13/

I could live without that 2080Ti and use a bit cheaper one, but if it fits in your budget... For that resolution and wanting games to look good and running smoothly, I would say that go for it.

Model which does not have that glass in side panel is prolly more quiet, cheaper too. Comes with 3x Dynamic X2 GP-14 fans, so might not need those extra Corsair ones.

Not cheap and still has same kind of fan which makes noise like standard heatsink + fan ones. Depends on how much you are planning to overclock the cpu, if not much, then Scythe Mugen 5 Rev B might be a good option.

ReBeL likes this.
  15. cryohellinc

cryohellinc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6750XT/ MAC M1
    @ReBeL
    I wouldn't go for 2080Ti. You are paying a heavy "early adopter" tax.

Personally, if you plan to game only on that PC, go for 3700x. I have it right now and it's a solid CPU for all round workloads. 4k won't allow you uber high FPS in any case.

GPU wise 2080/2080 Super should be more than enough, but then again RTX games you won't be able to run on 60 fps anywhere near in 4k. So the question is, do you even need RTX card? Why not go for Raster card - 5700xt and settle for 1440p in this generation. Not only you will save up a lot of cash, but as well you can set it aside for next summer when we will have Ray Tracing cards both from Nvidia and AMD (maybe even Intel) and invest then. By that time prices should go down (at least that is the theory).

4k is nice, but is it really worth it? Anyways, just my 2 cents.

If I could get something now, that would be Sony 21inch CRT screen. But they are nearly impossible to come by now.

GarrettL, anticupidon and ReBeL like this.

16. ReBeL

ReBeL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2080 S 8GB
    Makes sense.

I don't plan on overclocking, and if I do, it'll only be a little bit. So that Scythe looks like a good option.

As far as the GPU...looks I'm just gonna have to scale back my expectations a bit. I just can't justify shelling out the cash for the 2080 Ti. Like I said previously, I can just live with 1440p for a couple more years.

17. ReBeL

ReBeL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2080 S 8GB
    [edit]

Last edited: Dec 12, 2019
  18. Size_Mick

Size_Mick Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus GTX 1070 8GB
    Is it just me or are all the magic numbers 5, 6, 7, 8 and sometimes 9? So if you go entry-level gamer, get all the models with 5s in them, budget pick 6, mid-tier pick 7, high-end pick 8, I'm rich pick 9. That seems to be the way it's been for the last 15 years or so now.

19. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3080 Gaming X
    4K is really demanding so the focus of this build should be GPU all the way. Unfortunately your budget won't allow a 2080Ti but you should definitely go for the 2080 Super if possible. Your build should be able to run games released today AND tomorrow so getting a margin is essential.

My picks would be:
    AMD 3700X (to save a few bucks over the 3800X)
    BeQuite! Dark Rock 4 (or Pro if there is spare cash)
    High end X470 mobo (they are cheaper than X570 and just as good)
    3200MHz CL16 mem (32GB is future proof but 16GB works as well)
    512 GB NVMe drive
    ASUS or MSI 2080 Super
    Fractal Design Define S (sound dampened) plus additional fans
    750W Gold Corsair or EVGA PSU

ReBeL likes this.
  20. ReBeL

ReBeL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2080 S 8GB
    Yeah I'm beginning to change my mind and shoot for 1440p instead.

Thank you for the suggestions.