Upgrade Time...

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by BLEH!, Sep 4, 2017.

1. BLEH!

BLEH! Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Fury
    Hey Gurus

I'm thinking it's upgrade time.

You might think I'm mad, but I'm looking at X99, mainly for Windows 7 compatibility for my recording stuff. I'd also prefer it over Zen (presently) for the ability to do efficient dynamic overclocking, which AMD STILL hasn't sorted.

I've got the option of getting a 5820K, 6800k, or a 6850k all for about the same price. Which is the best to go for in terms of IPC and OCing headroom? I know the latter has more PCIe lanes, but that's really not that important to me.

Thoughts and motherboard suggestions, please.

2. jura11

jura11 Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX1080 Ti +2*1080 FE EK
    Hi there

Personally I would go with 5820k, have one and owned one, went with 5960x on which memory controller has failed as one side RAM slots couldn't be recognised and boot up has been very slow up to 3 minutes

With 5820k I can OC easily 4.5Ghz or 4.6Ghz on air cooler NH-D15 and still temps are very very nice

6800k is good one although OC potential is not high, usually they OC up to 4.3GHz or 4.4GHz, 4.5 or 4.6Ghz is possible on better chips but you will run to temperature and voltage limits and find these chips is hard unless you will pay extra for Silicone Lottery chip

IPC is better on 6xxx series than on 5xxx series what I know and what I seen there, but this shouldn't worrying you, in DAW this really does not matter as to such extent, what matters there is core clock, I use Ableton or Reason plus Cubase and Pro Tools for making music and got few HW synths like Minimoog and few other analogue synths etc and as sound card I use RME

Regarding the motherboard, I would go ASRock boards

Hope this helps

Thanks, Jura

3. BLEH!

BLEH! Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Fury
    Yeah, I'd heard broadwell had somewhat limited OCing ability. I'm probably going to limit it to 200 W and see what I can get with X number of threads active, whichever CPU I choose. Given the 6850K is the same price as the others, though, the IPC will be 3-5% higher than a 5820K AND it has all the PCIe lanes and is probably better binned, that might be the better pick in the grand scheme of things.

Not sure what board to go for. I've had no issues with MSI and ASUS in my experience so far, but I'm avoiding Gigabyte like the plague. Suggestions welcome. I do need an accessible x1 PCIe for a Firewire card and at least one M.2 for fast SSD for Win10.

What memory speed to go for, too?

4. jura11

jura11 Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX1080 Ti +2*1080 FE EK
    Hi there

I know my 5820k will pulls with 4.5Ghz around 215W and with 4.6Ghz I think I'm in 220-230W which is bit high but still NH-D15 dealing with this TDP pretty much without the problems

If its better binned hard to say, without you actually having one, you will see if you can OC bit higher but usually 4.3-4.4GHz is normal and anything above that you have pretty good chip or as some says golden chip

X99 is different beast to X58, there I would choose only Asus boards, over on X99 Asus do have issues with killing the chips and MSI have few issues with M.2 speeds or BIOS which is unfriendly or Gigabyte which I don't use and I wouldn't touch, have few bad experiences with these boards

My 5960x has been looks like killed by Asus Rampage V Extreme which has pumped too much SA(System Agent) and cache voltage to CPU, updated BIOS on all workstations in work and will check what is happening later this week but 3 of 5960x in work are dead as well or semi dead looks like on all 3* 5960x memory controllers failed and all boards used are Rampage V Extreme, my workstation in work have ASRock X99 Extreme11 there I've 5960x as and all RAM slots are working

Regarding the RAM, me personally running 6*16GB in total 96GB RAM and RAM speeds are pretty low 2133MHz and I'm very happy

Some boards like Asus or MSI wouldn't recognise these RAM without the updating the BIOS but ASRock don't need that and plus for me has been supported Xeon chips out of box

Hope this helps

Thanks, Jura

5. BLEH!

BLEH! Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Fury
    Right, I'll bear that in mind, thanks. I'm not after an all-bells-and-whistles board. I don't care about having fancy LEDs or any of that crap, just want something rock solid and stable with enough features to last at least 3 years. Hell, my X58 rig has given me 6 years so far, doing well!

6. jura11

jura11 Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX1080 Ti +2*1080 FE EK

Hi there

I would go with ASRock X99 Extreme6 or Taichi boards these boards are rock solids, friend have too Taichi board and no issues

Check few threads about the boards and which are best, personally I don't have RGB on my fans or mobo and still I'm OK

Agree X58 aged perfectly and still is going strong in many cases

Hope this helps

Thanks, Jura

7. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080Ti H20
    Personally I would just go with the latest 6850k(unless 6800k is much cheaper).

A broadwell-e 4.4(average high OC) is about equal to a 4.7/8ghz haswell-e.

8. BLEH!

BLEH! Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Fury
    That seems like the best course of action. I intend to do a 4 GHz base then work up in clocks for less loaded cores, sort of, which you can't do with Ryzen, or run Windows 7. The difference in price is really very small at this time. will go grab a 6850k later this week.

9. lmimmfn

lmimmfn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AorusXtreme 1080Ti
    Yeah go for the 6850K if theres not much difference in price.

I went with a 6800K back in ~April time but its a pretty crap overclocker, it'll do 4.2 but flakey( im sure with lots of time i could stabilize it ) so i just knocked it down to 4.0 until i have some free time to mess about with it.
    I went with the Taichi board, its a pretty nice board for the price, no complaints other than not much banter on forums about it but thats minor as X99 mobos are fairly generic.

10. jura11

jura11 Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX1080 Ti +2*1080 FE EK

Friend have too 6800k and his 6800k will do 4.2GHz as well, 4.3GHz needs around 1.44v but surprisingly temps are good for such voltage

Taichi boards are very nice boards, few friends do have these boards and they're pretty satisfied and happy with them

But agree if 6850k and 6800k prices are similar or same then I would go with 6850k without the question

Hope this helps

Thanks, Jura

11. BLEH!

BLEH! Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Fury
    Right! The 6850K has been purchased! Now onto motherboard and RAM selection. The guys at my shop recommended this:

https://www.scan.co.uk/products/asu...)-3-way-sli-crossfire-intel-gbe-lan-usb-31-ap

If anyone has any better selections I'm open, but I'm never buying Giga again, and I've heard EVGA are total crap.

RAM is the next one, I'm guessing 2400 MHz is fine bandwidth wise with quad channel having plenty of it, or is it worth going a bit higher to 2666 or a bit more?

And the final question is about storage. I'd like a blisteringly fast M.2 SSD, but they are pricey. Do they work with win7? or am I stuck with win10 only?

12. jura11

jura11 Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX1080 Ti +2*1080 FE EK
    Hi there

Personally I would go with ASRock motherboards, have one and never have issues with my board

Asus boards, have owned few of them, but their issues with killing the CPU are not the best advert for them,my 5960x has been same killed by Rampage V Extreme in our workstation and due this I would straight away update BIOS on any Asus board, this I have done as well on my friend build last week as he run 1205 BIOS on his board

Regarding the RAM, 2400 or 2666MHz should be OK but if you are looking at gaming more then I would suggest get faster RAM at higher speeds, personally running 96GB at 2133MHz and at gaming there are no issues etc

M.2 SSD they work with Win7 and regarding the pricing really depends there which one are you looking to get

Hope this helps

Thanks, Jura

13. BLEH!

BLEH! Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Fury
    I can't find any reasonably prices AsRock boards on my store. I think the killing CPU issues might be with older boards/BIOSes, but I will update the BIOS before I build the thing. Common sense, anyway. Seems to have been a 2015-2016 problem, not much noise about it recently on the net.

I'll be fine with 16 GB of RAM, but by the gods, DDR4 is pricey!

14. jura11

jura11 Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX1080 Ti +2*1080 FE EK
  15. jura11

jura11 Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX1080 Ti +2*1080 FE EK
    But yes these older BIOS have issues and mainly boards with OC socket, my board doesn't have and really don't need that

Yes DDR4 prices went up, few months back you could buy 32GB for price of 16GB, I remember I paid for 64GB(4*16GB) £180 last year and then I bought 32GB(2*16GB) extra which cost me £165

Hope this helps

Thanks, Jura

16. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 980Ti SC+
    FWIW I can also recommend ASRock boards. No experience with X99 but have X370 now and before that a budget Z97 board which worked perfectly too.

Taichi is a bit pricey (cheaper than competing equivalents though) but for a long term system probably worth the extra.

Used Asus boards only for years before trying out ASRock with the Z97 and no complaints.

17. BLEH!

BLEH! Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Fury
    Scan don't stock AsRock, sadly, but they've got some of the MSI ones in. Reading around it, that Asus X99A II dies, A LOT. So I'll probably go for one of the MSI gaming boards. Got one of those in my backup Kaveri rig and I quite like the functionality. Been running solidly for a while without issue.

Porbably this one:

https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/X99A-GAMING-PRO-CARBON.html

Last edited: Sep 12, 2017
  18. jura11

jura11 Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX1080 Ti +2*1080 FE EK

Hi there

Agree Scan doesn't stock at moment any ASRock X99 boards which is bit shame, with Scan is normal they don't stock older boards from older platforms which is strange

These X99 II are known to fail, usually RAM slots failure and overvoltage in some cases

This one MSI Gaming Pro Carbon have my friend and he is happy with this board, he bought this board few months back and still happy is it there

Other friend have MSI X99s Gaming 7 which is really rubbish board and friend went via few issues with that board, he swapped board for ASRock X99 Extreme4 and he finally can run 4.5Ghz on his 5820k with lot less voltage than on MSI board

But yes if its available then I would get ASRock

Currently I'm waiting on X399 boards from ASRock if they will release some boards with 6-7 PCI_E slots and then I will go with ThreadRipper 1950x

Hope this helps

Thanks, Jura