1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Upgrade time. Looking for ATX motherboard advice

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards Intel' started by MisterWhippy, Feb 23, 2018.

1. MisterWhippy

MisterWhippy Master Guru

GPU:
    PNY GTX 260
    I have had such great luck using this site and conversing with members. I learned so much over my time here, that I have not had to have a single cpu/mobo upgrade in at least 8 years. Still using this DDR2/PhenomII setup. I have no complaints. I think I would get more out of my 144hz monitor and my recent upgrade from a gtx 260 to a gtx960. Some titles show no difference in framerate, which is great and all but this is telling me my cpu is the limit.

This motherboard far exceeded my expectations, and will look at something similar in the future. ATX.

I am looking to "upgrade".

Not looking for cutting edge either, but I don't even try to understand any of this madness. I got my daughter a basic i5 quad core with a gtx 730 1gb, and I really think it is exceptionally faster. I gave my son the alienware alpha i5 & am impressed with that as well. Wife has an I5

Its my turn and am curious about what i7/i5 would work best/Any highly advised boards new or used?

I am not convinced that I "NEED" an I7, but high TDP boards should be able to handle any chip of a series.

any advice?

2. Guru01

Guru01 Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS ROG STRIX 1070
    Maybe you should look into 6th and 7th generation Intel processors. The Z170/Z270 budget boards aren't bad either. If your not gaming, then you shouldn't worry about i7 processors, maybe look into i5's. Asus Prime boards are pretty good if you'd ask me. Either way you are most likely going to need a new processor, ram, and motherboard for your upgrade. I would try buying used either off other members on this site or try ebay. I actually built two separate systems from ebay before, so it wouldn't hurt.

3. MisterWhippy

MisterWhippy Master Guru

GPU:
    PNY GTX 260
    I most certainly will be looking for new cpu/mobo/ram. I am partial to Asus, and did like the look of the Prime boards. I am glad to hear that actually. I don't NEED atx, but I have always preferred having more just in case options. It has come in handy a few times in the last decade. I ran tri-sli at first and what fun that was. That does not seem to be all that great of a technology any more. GPUs seem much more powerful then CPUs vs 8 years ago.

4. MisterWhippy

MisterWhippy Master Guru

GPU:
    PNY GTX 260
    I am not a contemporary gamer, and really can't see any upcoming titles that I like. The most GPU intensive game I would play would be Borderlands 2 and Stalker SHOC.

I am looking at 8th gen/300 series boards and chips. How Would a 8350k i3 w/gtx960 compare to the same gpu with a PhenomII? Would it be astronomical?

5. MisterWhippy

MisterWhippy Master Guru

GPU:
    PNY GTX 260
    Total guesstimate is just under 1k for something that I could endure with for the next 6-9 years with no upgrades aside from GPU refreshes.
    32gb gskill ram.
    i7 8700
    asus tuf 370
    m2 500+gb primary hdd

That should blow the doors off the current setup?

6. insp1re2600

insp1re2600 Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080TI OC
    I'd get two 8gb sticks for 16gb and pay a little more for a k series CPU so you can extend the life a bit more by ocing in the long run, you can always get more ram later too.

7. MisterWhippy

MisterWhippy Master Guru

GPU:
    PNY GTX 260
    That is great info, and since this would be my first INTEL build EVER.....

Question: Does the "K" designation indicate that it is unlocked for overclocking?

I don't know that I can justify the extra $70 bucks just for overclocking. I would wager that this chip at stock speeds would easily beat the snot out of my current system. I can't see any need to overclock either, as I see no software in the near future that I would purchase that will be hard on the system

Perhaps the HD remake of Dark Souls. But this would be the first game purchase since Dark Souls 3.

8. MisterWhippy

MisterWhippy Master Guru

GPU:
    PNY GTX 260
    Primary concerns of mine are quiet. I don't know that I will be Overclocking again. I think the time for that has passed. I did love my 1.0ghz overclock on my opteron 144. My outlook of then vs now is that CPU & Gpu tech have become much more powerful then the software currently available. My current system using a PhenomII & 16gb ram has had no issue playing games at more the acceptable framerates. I just know that this system is dated and cannot be upgraded any further aside from the ram, but what good is 32gb ram......its still a phenom II.

I may look into getting an aftermarket cooler, but the main reason is audible sound. Having a quiet cooler is more important to me then overclocking. The other angle is that IF I need to overclock, I can upgrade to a K chip in the future.....But if I am not benchmarking and giving the results to Guru3d, it is a moot point.

Basically I am torn, but leaning toward a K Free chip.

9. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080Ti H20
    You really don't need a K cpu, they already have decently high out of the box clock speeds.

I think a core i5 8400 6 core will be perfect for you, it will literally run circles around your current setup.

OC really isn't needed unless you have high refresh rates or old titles that are only using 1 or 2 threads.

MisterWhippy likes this.
  10. MisterWhippy

MisterWhippy Master Guru

GPU:
    PNY GTX 260
    I may have to muddle through another 4-6 years. Recent US politics has moved my hand to increase my firearm collection by 3. A computer may not be in the budget. It all depends on how crazy I go at the arms dealer. Certainly planning on going WAY WAY WAY over budget, but my wife suggested she wanted some sort of smaller "ladies" pistol, which means that I need no less then 2 more...But this is totally off topic.

Agent-a01 you are confirming something I speculated on. I do think an I5 Would blow my senses away. I do have a 144hz Asus, which I hate as well as a GDM Fw 900. The only reason I have this 960GTX is because it was the most effective gpu with analog DVI which I use BNC cables for the GDM. I may yet sell the Asus. I just can't stand LCDs. Too many years of being spoiled by real deal 120 hz has ruined me. It is a great LCD, but still terrible in comparison to the best CRT god every gave us.

I doubt highly that my "usage" will require overclocking. Everything I enjoy already runs great.....But it could run a whole lot better. I may still have a budget for I5 / 16gb / mobo / SSD.

I will know by tomorrow evening.

11. MisterWhippy

MisterWhippy Master Guru

GPU:
    PNY GTX 260
    I know I am late, and here is what I ended up ordering this week:
    Asus Prime Z270-k
    2x8gb Gskill Aegis
    i5-7600K
    HUGE Zalman Cpu cooler. (Had one before & it was quiet)

I have another question about ram requirements. This is my first PC build since DDR2 was "The Thing".

I ordered ram without checking QVL. Ram states it is good for z170 platform, but will it work in a z270?

12. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080Ti H20
    RAM will work fine.

I hope you did not pay MSRP for 'older' hardware.

13. MisterWhippy

MisterWhippy Master Guru

GPU:
    PNY GTX 260
    ALL of the items I listed cost me just over $400 USD shipped. IF they are as good as I imagine, It will be well spent.

14. BuildeR2

BuildeR2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 Ti FTW3
    Indeed, good deal. Let us know how the build goes or if you need any further help.