Upgrade thoughts.

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by wasteomind, Jul 11, 2018.

1. wasteomind

wasteomind Guest

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3
    Yeah its time for another dreaded help me upgrade thread. Thing is I'm not really upgrading, I'm contingency planning. Gonna detail out the issues, for a TLDR check the end of the post.

I'm currently running the system in my sig. Had it since 2013 I believe. Originally it had sli 680s, but later upgraded to sli 980s. Love it, never had any issues with it until recently. My 4.7ghz overclock appears to no longer stable. I run a custom water cooling loop, and as its summer and the temperatures have risen my first thought was cooling was an issue. I've serviced the lines, opened and cleaned the blocks, pump is good. Temperatures are no different then they have been in years past but I've had to back off my overclock to achieve stability.

I'm assuming this is the start of some kind of failure hardware failure or degradation. I've checked ram, run stability tests on everything I could think of, with no real success other than backing off to 4.5ghz. On top of that I've had a few other quirky issues with device inputs, odd behavior on startup/shutdown. The windows install is fairly fresh, within the past 2 months. The only changes to the system have been via windows updates. No new drivers or games installed. I'm honestly not to motivated to chase the issues. I'm feeling the itch to upgrade anyways, and I am happy to let a system that served me well continue any downward spiral it has begun, and salvage any usable parts after.

That all said. In the event the that pc does catastrophically fail to the point of being unable to post, I'd like to have an upgrade path in place so downtime is minimal. I know there is some talk of new i9 stuff in the pipeline, not sure if anything is worth holding off for in that event. I'm going to keep my case, water loop, gpus (for now), and psu. So looking to replace the core of the system cpu, mobo, ram, and ssd. This will also leave me needing a new water block to adapt the cooling.

TLDR STARTS HERE:

My only goal is to try to get back to my 4.7ghz overclock with upgraded/better/newer parts. Additional performance that comes with it is just gravy. This is what I'm currently looking at. It is a purely gaming system, but I do dable with video capture/editing from time to time. Intel fanboi (sorry no AMD). I'm going to keep my case, water loop, gpus (for now), and psu.

Any alternative suggestions or information regarding compatibility, performance, or known component defects/issues would be helpful. Obviously spending less would be an open option, thoughts there are welcome too.

Intel - Core i7-8700K 3.7GHz 6-Core Processor
    Asus - ROG MAXIMUS X HERO (WI-FI AC) ATX LGA1151 Motherboard
    G.Skill - Trident Z 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory
    Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive

Part picker link : https://pcpartpicker.com/list/dwMJJV

Also need a waterblock, these two seemed decent, any input?

Koolance CPU-400I Water Block (Intel Processor)

XSPC RayStorm Pro RGB WaterBlock, Intel CPU, Black

2. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    Well I suggest you wait a bit for coffee lake 8 core to release, maybe prices will come down by then and you can decide.

If you want the best memory, try for samsung B-die CL14 3200 or better; maybe even something like 4266 C19-19-19-39 if they aren't too expensive.

Secondly, I'd go for a full cover block that covers VRM too; EK seems to have plenty of options for many boards.

Lastly, 960 EVO is an older model, might as well grab the 970 EVO for the same price.

BTW degregation can happen overtime, I wouldn't say that means imminent failure .

3. jura11

jura11 Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3090 NvLink
    Hi there

Personally as above @Agent-A01 recommend wait a bit for 8 core and then decide

Personally I would suggest Heatkiller IV Pro or Aquacomputer Kryos NEXT, both are best waterblocks on market, have earlier version of Kryos and love it, performs lot better than EK Supermacy EVO and looks in my view nicer as well

Koolance I have used only their earlier version on one build but friend is very happy and outperformed Supermacy EVO as well by 2-3°C on load

Full cover blocks or monoblock I just can't recommend this, tried few like on friend 8700k build or on X99, X299 etc and always these monoblocks have higher temperatures than normal waterblock, yes off course VRM temperatures has been higher this has dependent on board, on few boards I used Heatkiller VRM blocks which has helped lower VRM temperatures

On X299 I would recommend do that, but on 8700k not sure if its worth it

Hope this helps

Thanks, Jura

4. wasteomind

wasteomind Guest

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3
    Thanks for this info. I'll look into the parts mentioned.What about that ram mentioned though? B-die Samsung stuff. I'm assuming that has to do with the chips on them? How can I easily determine what they are?

Also don't think I'm too interested in motherboard specific full cover blocks at this point. Is the additional VRM cooling really necessary on newer boards?

5. wasteomind

wasteomind Guest

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3
    Just to follow up on this, now I'm getting a blue screen on start up after an extended period of the system being powered down. After being off for 10 to 12 hours, the system posts, but then right as it goes to load windows the screen remains blank. If i leave it long enough it comes back with the blue screen saying its going to collect error info and restart, but hangs at 0%. The stop code is: MACHINE_CHECK_EXCEPTION. If I power down and start up the system again, or just press reset, it boots normally.