Upgrade on hiatus

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by Unyonface, Dec 11, 2014.

1. Unyonface

Unyonface Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX760 SC ACX
    Not too long ago I asked for advise on upgrading an AMD build with a $300 budget, and a few guru members gave me good advice on what I should do. This was going to be my Christmas gift, but a major accident is going to prevent me from doing so. So instead of having $400 upgrade, now I have a $1500 deficit in which I owe for the rest of my car. I had a 2011 Toyota Camry Hybrid that was involved in a 3 car pile up and has since been deemed totaled due to structural damage to the frame. Being A hybrid, we(wife and I) drove it all over the place and had 120,000 miles on her at the time of the accident. With high miles and all the insurance company gave us 8 grand for her, when she was only worth about 6 grand. Here are a few pics...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

Ouch, that sucks! What do you plan to do for a replacement?

3. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    Insurance companies are awful, personally I love Liberty Mutual.

4. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Not all insurance companies are awful. The fact they gave him $8000 for a car only worth $6000, pretty well proves my point. In some states, they set guidelines that the insurance companies are required to follow, that are more anti-consumer than the insurance companies' own guidelines would have otherwise been.

Hey Unyonface, for security/privacy reasons, it's best to "black out" your license plate.....

5. IcE

IcE Don Snow

GPU:
    3070Ti FE
    Unnecessary. I get why some people do it, but there's just no point. The databases you can use to look up plates aren't accessible to normal people anyway. It's like worrying that a person driving behind you is going to write down your plate number and do something nefarious with it.

Anyway OP, just be grateful you're only upside down for 1,500. Could be a lot worse. A lot of car dealerships will work with you on such a low amount and roll it into your next financing. You'll be stuck with a lesser car, but you can still do just fine for 7-8k.

6. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    You can find anything on the internet.....including registration information for license plates. There's actually several sites that will allow you to obtain such information.

7. IcE

IcE Don Snow

GPU:
    3070Ti FE
    Don't said sites cost money, and also produce a flag in the database for every lookup?

And what would encourage some stranger to look up a plate belonging to someone on the internet? Would make much more sense for them go outside and find one that way.

8. yasamoka

yasamoka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 3090
    The point stands. We had a car plate database floating around recently where I lived and entering my mom's car number had the damn thing retrieve her full name, our home phone number, and our exact address. Could be used by anyone.

9. Unyonface

Unyonface Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX760 SC ACX
    This is the replacement vehicle hehe.....
    [​IMG]
    2014 Dodge Charger.

10. Mike Z

Mike Z Guest

GPU:
    GTX 670
    Maybe I should go total my car..

11. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Yes, it does cost money. Yes, the sites offering the service do keep records. Doesn't change the fact that such sites exist and there are sick people in this world.

Don't get me wrong here. I do see your point. Under "normal" circumstances, such sites and people wouldn't exist. The problem is that they do exist. Some of the forums I frequent outside of this one have rules against showing license plates (or any other personally identifiable information) because of what can possibly happen. Sometimes, it's just better to be a bit paranoid and exercise an extra bit of caution.

12. IcE

IcE Don Snow

GPU:
    3070Ti FE
    Fair enough. It certainly doesn't hurt by any means. Also, nice Charger. Hopefully it holds up for you OP. I've heard bad things about electrical ghosts.

13. keasy

keasy Banned

GPU:
    d1cK
    Nice wheels!