Upgrade in april

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by kaazz, Mar 16, 2009.

1. kaazz

kaazz Master Guru

GPU:
    nVidia 8800GT 512mb
    Hi!
    So I have an Q6600 & 8800GT in my hands, and I need to build an new rig with these. That means I need an future-proof PSU, 4GB ram, decent case and an nice motherboard ( cheap if possible) so I can get as much as I can with my Q6600 OCing. I also need an nice CPU cooler.
    Note: Not upgrading niether my CPU or GPU. I'm planing on GPU upgrade after summer, and not sure of CPU, that depends on price.

-4GB ram - need advice on which
    -Case - CoolerMaster HAF 932
    -PSU - Coolermaster 700W / Corsair 750W
    -CPU cooler - Coolermaster v8
    -Motherboard - ok here's the deal, I have an gigabyte P43-GA-DS3L (if I'm right) currently, will this serve my needs? Or do I really need an new motherboard? I might not buy an motherboard, and if I happen to upgrade my CPU as well, I will be glad I didnt waste money on motherboard.
    Harddisk - 620GB ?

How does it look so far? Are there anything I can cheaper, anything better?
    Thanks...

2. DSK

DSK Banned

GPU:
    HD5770/BenQ G2220HD
    P43-GA-DS3L looks a decent board to me it would serve you well.

3. kaazz

kaazz Master Guru

GPU:
    nVidia 8800GT 512mb
    Ok, I'm sorry, it's wrong. It's Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3L :(

4. DSK

DSK Banned

GPU:
    HD5770/BenQ G2220HD
    meh its basicly the same board a few guys on here have that model and they have no complaints about it so i think your safe with it.

5. tupelo20

tupelo20 Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX260 SSC in SLI
    Waste of money

If I where you I would hold on to what you have got.
    You said your self it should be future proof. Well that would either switch to AMD AM3 socket or Intels 1366 Socket.
    Switching mainboards is not gonna make that much difference neither does buying a Q9450 and 4 GB Ram, actually that would be an option if your current board supports 4 Sticks of Ram, I would only buy a 2 GB set to get it up to 4GB of memory.

Upgrading to 1366 requires DDR3 and also anything above AM2 will require DDR3 ram.
    So I would save your money now wait untill mainstraim i7 arrive or go to AMD I hear their new Quads also deliver decent performance against a lower price as the intel i7's
    On the other hand the x58 supports SLI and Crossfire X so any good VGA will run on the board in SLI or Crossfire :)

Waiting a month or 2 will mean mainboards prices wil drop. So will DDR3 prices as it becomes more standard.

That is my opinion.
    I sold my old hardware for a decent price when I made the upgrade for an i7 system which at only required me to putt down 250 Euro's extra.

An i7 system would cost you around 700 euro's just for the mainboard triple channel ram and a 920 proccesor

AMD's will cost you 300 euro's less if you go for an AM2 board.
    Wait a few months and you will save 150 euro's

Upgrading your socket 775 is a waste of money unless you can buy stuf 2nd hand at reasonable price.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2009
  6. viren

viren Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS RTX 2070
    Evga/XFX 790i ultra sli and OCZ DDR3 1800 mhz 4gb sli ready ram kit. If your budget is less then 780i sli and OCZ DDR2 1000/800[cl4 kit] mhz 4gb kit. You will need to oc your processor to 3.20ghz at 1600fsb just as mine in order to eliminate any bottlenecks.