Upgrade Help - No idea what to buy next... :S

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by iamtheone23, May 18, 2010.

1. iamtheone23

iamtheone23 New Member

GPU:
    Sapphire ATi HD4850 1GB
    Hello everyone!

I'm looking to upgrade my computer within the next month or so, having found some spare cash (300 EUR ;D ^_^) - I just don't know what to upgrade though, so I figured I'd ask your opinions :D

First off, I use my computer mainly for Gaming and Photoshop, and I also love overclocking. Main games I play: Battlefield Bad Company 2, Starcraft 2 Beta, WoW, Crysis (all of them), CounterStrikeSource and TeamFortress 2.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Now, My current setup & what I think of it-

Mainboard: ASUS P5WDG2 Professional WS - been running this beast almost 4 years now, but it still does the job. OC'ing feels somewhat limited compared to the other asus boards (RoG) I've played around with now though, and socket 775 isnt going to be acceptable much longer.

CPU: Intel Core2Quad Q6600 G0 2.4GHz (OC'd on Air to 3.2GHz) - Got this about a year ago, it was the cheapest quad I could find. Running on an Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 fan.

Graphics: Sapphire ATi HD4850 1GB- Again, purchased roughly a year ago, because of the cheap price. This is one of my main candidates for upgrading, but I'm worried any upgrade to this would be bottlenecked by my CPU/Mobo combination.

RAM: DDR2 4GB total - 2x 1gb DDR2 Crucial Ballistix PC2-6400, 2x 1gb DDR2 PC2-6400 generic ram (kingston)

Monitor: Samsung SyncMaster 940BW, 1440x900 - Does the job, but any upgrade options are limited to 20-22"(widescreen) size due to the space it has to fit in.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------

So, Where should I spend the money? I'm quite happy to split the 300EUR between different components if that would be best :D

Thanks in advance!

Last edited: May 18, 2010
  2. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    get something like a 5850 and you're good to go. What country are you in? just asking so that we can suggest some good deals to you :)

My rig is similar to yours, same cpu (mine is only @3ghz but the difference is negligible here) and I also have 4gb ram and a slightly faster gpu (4890). I can play any new game out there maxed out, no problem. If you get yourself a 5850, you'll see a nice little jump in performance, trust me. I wouldn't worry about cpu bottlenecking with your rig too much mate, sell the 4850 and buy a 5850. You'll love it!

3. Elder III

Elder III Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Both Red and Green
    You need to experience the joy of gaming in HD - 1920 x 1080 (or higher!) - so get a 22" LCD in 1080p for $200 and a second HD 4850 1GB for $100 and run a CRossfireX setup. As long as your PSU can handle it I would say that's the most bang for your buck.

*prices are USD*

4. deltatux

deltatux Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    I vote for the Radeon HD 5850 as well and if you really want a Q9550?

deltatux

5. Indeo

Indeo Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 5970@950\1200 + GT240
    Second that. Unfortunately, times now aren't too good for budget-limited upgrade, so stick to something which will make the real difference for your gaming and working experience - larger monitor and appropriate gpu. If you can't sell your 4850, go for CF, if you can - 5850 ftw. However, both should be fine for a moment.

6. Jae-So

Jae-So Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX1070
    another vote for a new monitor

EDIT: see ur limited by spacce, just get a 22"

7. sirrith

sirrith Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 5850 1GB
    Get a new monitor with better resolution, at least 1680x1050, and yeah, if you can, a 5850.

8. iamtheone23

iamtheone23 New Member

GPU:
    Sapphire ATi HD4850 1GB
    Thanks, so the general consensus seems to be a new monitor at 1680x1050+, followed by a GFX upgrade if possible? I'm in the UK, but I'm also frequently in germany (hence the euro's :p) so deals for either region are fine thanks :D

Any monitor reccomendations? It'd have to be < 23", or if greater than that it'd have to be < 240 euros so that I can replace the area it sits in with a larger one.

Thanks in advance =D