Upgrade hardware the easy way.

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by warlord, Dec 9, 2018.

1. warlord

warlord Guest

GPU:
    Null
    Hello gurus. Can I upgrade my base system cpu/mobo/ram only without formatting or losing any data?

And if it's possible, what should I clean or Uninstall first? I have a trash internet connection and I feel coward at the moment. Every help is much appreciated, thanks.

2. jbmcmillan

jbmcmillan Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte G1 GTX970
    That's how I've done it but it will trigger activation which can be a pain but usually can be sorted. You're going to get a lot of clean install opinions on here but personally I don't feel like setting up everything for days afterwards as I run across things I've forgotten I've even done. I haven't done a clean install since I bought 8 for 39.99 I'm on 10 (1809) now with no issues.

warlord likes this.
  3. GlennB

GlennB Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Vega 56 EK
    You can but there's bound to be issues down the road depending from what you are upgrading to.

warlord likes this.
  4. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    You should do a clean install of windows to avoid potential driver conflicts.

warlord likes this.

5. warlord

warlord Guest

GPU:
    Null
    So, even if I activate windows again legally, I still would encounter issues? No way to just copy 100% registry keys and apps(no device drivers and software) installation for a new windows setup from scratch? Everything would still need reinstalling? Thanks.

6. jbmcmillan

jbmcmillan Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte G1 GTX970
    If you are going that far you might as well do a clean install I'm lazy so I didn't bother. I think I must live a charmed life because I have always just switched stuff out with no issues plus none of the issues that people on here have mentioned when they have upgraded versions of 10.

warlord likes this.
  7. GlennB

GlennB Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Vega 56 EK
    I have done an upgrade from a Intel 2600K Z68 chipset to a Ryzen 7 + x470 and and had really weird problems with cores sometimes being disabled, high cpu load when idling just to name 2. Even went so far to manually removing all the previous drivers before upgrading the hardware and still had random crashes and whatnot.

warlord likes this.
  8. BlackZero

BlackZero Guest

As noted by above poster.

If changing the motherboard, a new OS install is usually necessary.

You could always give it a try and uninstall all drivers just before changing out the motherboard (for e.g. individually in device manager).

warlord likes this.
  9. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    if you have a windows 10 install, the swapping of a motherboard is generally piss easy, you just have to remove any vendor specific utilities and applications, or upgrade them before hand if you're retaining the same vendor. even in windows xp you could do VIA to nforce swaps if you knew what you were doing with no stability ramifications.

warlord likes this.
  10. jaggerwild

jaggerwild Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2070 SUP
    If you do upgrade and try to save the OS, first know what you are upgrading to then down load and save all drivers so in case you can not get online(you'll have what you need to get online). Good luck let us know.........

warlord likes this.

11. BlackZero

BlackZero Guest

VIA, the amount of trouble they caused with their AGP 4X implementation.

warlord likes this.
  12. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    their agp 8x was worse, not even functional on the kt600.

warlord and BlackZero like this.
  13. cryohellinc

cryohellinc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6750XT/ MAC M1
    Just reinstall the OS, what's the big deal? If you don't know how to do it, there are a gazillion of videos on the web showing you exactly what to do.

Backup the data you need, download drivers for the new motherboard from Motherboards developers website, download the latest GPU drivers and you are set.

Better learn the process, instead of attempting to fix a broken system on a new hardware.

warlord, pimpernell and BlackZero like this.
  14. f14dude

f14dude Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4070 Ventus 3X

I have just upgraded a i7-6700k with a Z170 board to a i7-8700k with a Z370 board on Windows 10 recently. After replacing the components, I booted the system up and Windows started installing the base drivers for me to get on so I can install the chipset, and other drivers and to reactivate Windows. No crashes at all. I think it is doable only when you are upgrading from one Intel chipset to another and not from Intel to AMD or other way around.

warlord likes this.
  15. D3M1G0D

D3M1G0D Guest

GPU:
    2 x GeForce 1080 Ti
    These kinds of upgrades can work with any system, but it's highly recommended to do a clean reinstall to avoid any potential issues. This isn't an absolutely mandatory thing, but it's good practice. It's like using DDU when upgrading a GPU - not necessary but highly recommended.

warlord likes this.

16. f14dude

f14dude Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4070 Ventus 3X
    I wouldn't say it will work with all sort of configurations... a few years back, I had an old Phenom 1090 and upgraded to the i7 6700k with a Z170 board and it wouldn't boot properly. I remember taking the precaution by uninstalling all AMD stuffs before shutting down/hardware swaps and it would still blue screen/restart so I end up having to install a flesh copy of Windows 10.

warlord likes this.
  17. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    If you have Win 10 retail it should work. Ofc OEM too but needs reactivation.

I did this when switching to Ryzen from Core i5.
    Though I did clean install right after but on-the-fly went surprisingly smoothly.

PS: if you haven't yet, create a separate partition for storing data.
    This way you can format only system partition when clean installing.

Naturally you'll still need to reinstall your software and reconfigure everything but if your games for example are installed on this separate partition Steam / Origin / UPlay can discover the existing content once you point it out.

Origin and UPlay have discover installed content function per game and Steam should find the games once you re-select your game library location.

Ofc Steam has backup content function for backup / restore as well. No need to redownload anything (but you need a separate drive / partition for storing the backups to be able to format your system partition).

Last edited: Dec 15, 2018
    warlord likes this.