upgrade from 2 Msi Gtx 980 sli gaming

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by beseitfia, Sep 14, 2016.

1. beseitfia

beseitfia Active Member

GPU:
    SLI x2 MSI Gtx980 Gaming
    Hi guys, with the new pascal cards coming out, i started seriously thinking about upgrading my vga..My monitor is the rog swift (1440p 144hz), and i have two msi 980gtx gaming running in sli. The rest of my rig is a 4790k overclocked and 16gb ddr3 of ram..I don't have actually any troubles running the game i play with constant framerate (gsync helps) at high/ultra settings and i often disable antialiasing (or use smaa instead) to boost my framerate, because 1440p resolution looks okay even without aa imho...I'm not scared about sli, i always liked it and owned in the past with previous generations cards, but now i want to upgrade mostly because i think that my gpus will just devalue with time and newer cards release. I also have a good airflow in my tower case, and the psu to support it (seasonic 1200w gold)...So now i'm in trouble..What to do? Sell my gpus and get one msi gtx1080 x (and maybe wait to a price drop for adding another one) or buy directly 2 gtx 1070 in sli instead? The best option would be 2 gtx 1080 to obtain a great boost in terms of performance and a good reselling value, but it will be too expansive for me right now (even selling my 980's) so 2 gtx 1070 (found at good price) could be the best thing because i would have double of vram and a really jump in performance from the 980 sli...Just one gtx 1080 could be a "logic" upgrade because it's close to 980 sli but i would not notice any boost i guess (or even worse, when sli is well supported and the scaling is good, a worsening in performance from sli). So i'm really really confused and i ask for your advice, what you would do at my place? thanks in advance

Last edited: Sep 14, 2016
  2. Witcher29

Witcher29 Maha Guru

GPU:
    3080 Gaming X Trio
    Wait a bit longer if i were u and get a Titan X [pascal :)

3. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2080Ti @h2o
    Get a Titan X Pascal or leave it. Everything else won't give you that much of an upgrade, except to get rid of SLI. I'm personally hesitant, might either get a Titan X at some point, although I really would love some kind of cheaper 1080Ti, of course.

4. nateluthje

nateluthje Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus strix 1080 SLI
    If your maximum resolution is 1440p, ultra settings then the only reason to upgrade at the moment is to get rid of your SLI configuration. It doesn't matter if you are getting 60fps, 90fps or 144fps as the human eye cannot distinguish the difference. I.E. playing at 60fps or higher, you will notice no difference once you surpass 60fps. If you want to go to a higher res (4K or multiple monitor setups), then yes, you will probably need to upgrade later on. Titan X is pretty expensive, especially for 1 card. I would probably wait till the cheaper 1080Ti is released, purchase 1 card, then see how it does what you want it to (performance wise) and then decide if you want to go with an SLI setup later on.

5. Appeh

Appeh New Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 980Ti Hybrid
    ..And here we go again.

6. CronosX9x9X

CronosX9x9X Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI1070 Gaming X
    :) I was waiting for someone to say something about that haha that'll start the age old discussion every video card forum has.

7. Party Poison

Party Poison Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Rtx 2080Ti
    Surely thats a troll comment.

8. Witcher29

Witcher29 Maha Guru

GPU:
    3080 Gaming X Trio
    There are u going wrong sir.
    Even 80 fps feel smoother then 60 fps on a 144 hertz monitor.

9. beseitfia

beseitfia Active Member

GPU:
    SLI x2 MSI Gtx980 Gaming
    As i wrote, it's not a really "necessary" upgrade...Gtx 980 in sli still rocks in terms of horsepower for my needs, for sure, but my warranty is expiring, the architecture will be abandonated soon (or later) by drivers , and the value of the cards will drop more with newer card release...also doubling the amount of vram is going to be nice ..I think that i will go with just one gtx 1080 for now...So i will add less money than the sli of gtx1070 and monitor how it could be...At least i have the best (newer) gpu to resell for a gtx1080ti, or i could add another one in sli when price will drop a bit, if a see that i loose to much fps from the sli...
    For the smoothnes about fps, it's true tat gsync helps and 90/110fps are really smooth without feeling that framerate is changing, but when i play near to 144 fps (battlefield 3,4 or older games) it's really really frenetic and you can notice a bit the difference...

10. 0blivious

0blivious Ancient Guru

GPU:
    5700XT / GTX1070
    It's not a discussion at all. He's wrong. Almost anyone who's ever used all of these framerates can see a difference. I want to say, I've read, in testing, the human eye can see discernible differences up to nearly 1000fps. Higher than that, it all looks fluid.

Back to the upgrade... If you must upgrade, I would hold out until the 1080Ti releases. Seems like the best upgrade with a reasonable savings over a Titan XP. Personally, I'd wait until the 1100 series. Sounds like your 980 SLI setup is still serving you well. I'll bet an 1180 (or 2) will kick a$$!

11. beseitfia

beseitfia Active Member

GPU:
    SLI x2 MSI Gtx980 Gaming
    I ve already purchased an msi gtx 1080 gaming X 8g :)...Yeah it's true the sli was fantastic...but also with the warranty expiring, i was little scared about the purchasing devalue...Having a gtx 1080 still in warranty when an hypotetic gtx 1080ti comes out, i think would be better..Now even if i didn't match my previous sli setup, i'am really close, but i have new architecture and 4gb more of vram...When the TI comes out i will decide to resell the 1080 for it (and stay with single gpu) or add another 1080 (with less money than now) to have more horsepower..

Last edited: Sep 16, 2016
  12. Mr Terry Turnip

Mr Terry Turnip Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1060 Gaming X
    Haha ...I'm feeling ya.