Upgrade from 1070 TI

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by rab3072, Nov 13, 2019.

1. rab3072

rab3072 Active Member

GPU:
    Radeon HD 5750
    Hey Guru's,

Contemplating an upgrade of gfx. Black Friday coming up at PB Tech near my home and they usually have wicked deals.

At the moment I have an EVGA Geforce 1070 ti and it does a fine job (doesn't like being overclocked though).
    However, my little annoyance is that I occasionally stream using NVENC (new) and I can feel the difference when it's running. The frame rate is still up high, but there is a definite smoothness degradation and input delay difference when running vs not running.

I would like a powerful enough gfx card that would allow me to encode as well as a game without having a noticeable performance degradation.

Any advice on what would be a good option without donating a kidney to acquire it? :rolleyes::D

2. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 390/GTX1070M
    You sure it isn't CPU issues?

toyo and cryohellinc like this.
  3. Caesar

Caesar Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070Ti Titanium
    You can get your hands on one of the higher end cards like the RTX 2070 or RTX 2080, you get amazing performance even with ray tracing on. The short answer to “Is RTX worth it” is yes, only if you can afford one. It all comes down to your budget at the end of the day.

This entirely depends on your budget and what resolution you are gaming on. Ray Tracing depends entirely on game developers and how they optimize it. At times, it can cause a drop in performance. The RTX 2080 and upwards seems to handle this technology very well. Ray tracing is still an emerging technology supported by a handful of games right now. But if we take a peek into the future, it’s going to be the norm. Also, Nvidia has promised ray tracing support on Pascal as well recently, but don’t expect anywhere near as good performance like RTX. ;)

4. rab3072

rab3072 Active Member

GPU:
    Radeon HD 5750
    After looking into it today, i aually think it was because I had one and preview running on my second monitor at 60fps. Turned on performance mode (no preview) and moved to my main 144hz monitor and it's actually much better. Whoops

OP still stands though, will look at what Black Friday brings!

Interesting. Yeah I was looking at an RTX. Seems there is a few bundles you can get to upgrade. Is there a big gap from the 2070 and 2080 performance wise? I've not properly looked into them.
    Also i have a 550 watt psu. Would they require more than that? All things to take into consideration. One of the PB tech bundles actually comes with a 600 watt psu.

5. Caesar

Caesar Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070Ti Titanium
    toyo likes this.
  6. insp1re2600

insp1re2600 Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080TI OC H20
    I'd think maybe that phenom may bottleneck the 1070ti

Caesar likes this.
  7. cryohellinc

cryohellinc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 5700 XT/GTX 1060
    AMD Phenom II X4 965

That is your problem, not the 1070 Ti

toyo likes this.
  8. Nekrosleezer

Nekrosleezer Active Member

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070 TI
    What's your CPU and Power supply? 550w is more than enough for a 1070TI.

For my experience im still not convinced to upgrade my 1070ti, you can get the same performace of a 1080 no ti with a little oc.

EDIT: that phenom 2 is a huge bottleneck for that gpu, thats the problem

9. rab3072

rab3072 Active Member

GPU:
    Radeon HD 5750
    That info is not up to date. I have a Rysen 7 2700X now:

CPU - AMD Ryzen 7 2700X
    GPU - EVGA Geforce GTX 1070ti
    RAM - 16gb
    PSU - 550w Coolermaster

10. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 390/GTX1070M
    If you dropped in a cheap 2nd GPU to do the encoding on, would that work?

toyo likes this.

11. SweenJM

SweenJM Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 590 nitro
    Get and 850w psu and another 1070ti.......or buy an rtx2080. Cost about the same.