Upgrade for Witcher 3

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by ReBeL, Jun 5, 2015.

1. ReBeL

ReBeL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2080 S 8GB
    So even if I turn down the resolution to 1600x900 and set everything to "Low", I can't manage a constant 60 fps all the time, which is my goal.

What's my worst bottleneck? Is there any way I could achieve constant 60 fps at 1080p and medium settings by only upgrading my GPU?

2. IcE

IcE Don Snow Staff Member

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 1070 Mini
    The 7950 is your weak point. Get a newer card like a 970 or better.

3. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    970 can easily play the game almost maxed at 1080p on my rig. 1440p, it struggles and I get around 45-50fps. 970 is a great card for 1080p in general.

4. ReBeL

ReBeL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2080 S 8GB
    Thanks for the replies. Is there an AMD equivalent? Also, around how much do you think I could sell the 7950 for?

Last edited: Jun 5, 2015

5. CalculuS

CalculuS Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1660Ti
    ****ty 7950's like the dual-x and XFX go for generally 100-110 USD,

Vapor-X/Tri-X/Gigabyte/MSi ones usually go for 120+ usd.

6. Deathchild

Deathchild Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Bro I'm playing 1440p with ultra/high settings, hw off, and I get 30-40fps. :D

Using foxs config. Single 7950. Overclocked to 1180/1500 ofc.. The card becomes a different card once you overclock it from 900 to 1180 lol.

Now that amd released a profile cf is better, using that now.

What you can do, with your resolution... you should definitely already get 40-50 fps, if not 60. I guess you can turn down AO to SSAO and a few other things.. you'll get your desired fps... although I think the game looks much better at 30-40fps ... (You seem to "notice" more).

7. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus RX580 XTR 8GB
    As always 3570k is enough. Game isnt that CPU heavy. As for GPU if you are looking at the stable 60fps (Ultra) not even 970 is enough.

8. Abaddon

Abaddon Member

GPU:
    Asus 970 Turbo
    foxs config? what is that?

9. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus RX580 XTR 8GB
    Well ofc, at 1180/1500 your 7950 is about fast as 280X stock 1100. Difference between Tahiti Pro/XT is around 5% at the same clocks.

Its still very capable card.

10. ReBeL

ReBeL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2080 S 8GB
    I was getting constant 55-60 fps in the first "area" of the game using mostly Medium settings (White Orchard), but then I started getting frequent drops down to 50 in the second region (Velen). I guess Velen is more intensive. I turned everything down to Low and it didn't make much of a difference at all. It might have gained me 1 fps. That's why I was worried that my bottleneck may not be my GPU, so I came here for advice. The only setting that seems to have a significant impact on performance now is if I move "foliage visibility" to medium. That hits me for 5-8 fps. However, there's basically no fps impact between low and medium when it comes to shadows, detail, terrain detail, bloom. Some of the other stuff like hairworks and SSAO/occlusion, etc. I just had turned off from the beginning.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2015-the-best-pc-hardware-for-the-witcher-3

According to that link, always 60 fps on Ultra settings at 1080p is pretty much impossible. But I don't have to have everything on Ultra. I'll gladly trade a little bit of eye candy for a solid 60 fps at all times.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2015

11. Monchis

Monchis Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 950
    If your goal is to run it smooth as butter you might just waste your money:

12. snip3r_3

snip3r_3 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    I would suggest you wait for some performance patches/drivers to show up (I'm waiting for those before I start playing it). With the release of Pascal/Fiji coming up close (well for AMD), buying something now is probably not a good idea for just one game. Plus, overclock that 7950, I can get 1200+ out of mine and I haven't even swapped the paste on the Twin Frozr, <70C max load (stock 960 core).

13. ReBeL

ReBeL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2080 S 8GB
    It's already overclocked. I believe the core is at 985 and memory at 1125. Not at my home PC at the moment to verify, but I think that's right. Maybe I got a dud overlocker because I get crashes if I try to go any higher.

I just ordered an Asus 970 GTX from Tigerdirect. After mail-in rebate and selling the code for Batman, I'll be under the $300 price point. I'm ok with going back to Nvidia again.

Maybe it is "just for one game", but if I just put half as many hours into W3 as I have Skyrim, then to me it's worth it.

Thanks again everyone for the replies.

14. ReBeL

ReBeL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2080 S 8GB
    Well, got the 970 installed. Game does run smooth at higher graphics settings and 1080p. Unfortunately, it crashes all the time. Running 353.06 drivers and version 1.05 of the game. Sometimes I can play for 30 mins, sometimes it crashes after 5 mins. I haven't touched the clocks. It's just doing its own default thing. Afterburner shows max core 1316 and max memory 1383. Max temp was 67c.

Any ideas?

It's too late now, but tomorrow night I'll play Skyrim and see if I have the same problem. Skyrim didn't crash on me when I played earlier, but I only played for 5 minutes or so.

15. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080Ti H20
    What kind of crashes? Game crash or TDR?

16. ReBeL

ReBeL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2080 S 8GB
    Wow. I've some time oogling and apparently there are a billion different suggestions for fixing W3 crashes on the gtx 970.

Agent-A01, it's a game crash. A couple of times I got a Windows message "The Witcher 3 has stopped working", but most of the time it's just a crash to desktop with no error message. Sometimes it happens immediately and other times the screen/audio will freeze for a moment before crashing to desktop.

17. MrH

MrH Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 Armour
    All I can tell you is I crash if I have MSI Afterburner OSD active, so if you use it try disabling it for Witcher III.

18. ReBeL

ReBeL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2080 S 8GB
    Well it was doing this before I even installed Afterburner, but I'm also not using the OSD.

19. ReBeL

ReBeL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2080 S 8GB
    Something else I didn't mention before is that I was having issues with posting after installing the 970. On boot up, the screen would stay on the splash screen or just blank, and I would have to wait until the fourth beep from the mobo speaker every time, then it would boot up fine. It was about 20 seconds between each beep.

I flashed the bios to a later version, and that seems to have solved the problem. After that I loaded up W3 and played for 40 mins without a crash. Can't say for sure at this point that the crashing issue is fixed though, but I'm hoping this is a good sign.

20. TyrantofJustice

TyrantofJustice Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 super
    see and i played fine the whole game with after burner osd on