Upgrade dilemma

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Lurk, Feb 19, 2024.

1. Lurk

Lurk Master Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX4080 VertoOC
    Thinking of an i5 13600kf, but I really don’t want to give up the 64Gb ddr4 3600 I recently got.
    This would mean getting a ddr4-compatible z790 board, otherwise I would have to go for 32Gb ddr5 which adds to my somehow limited budget.
    I’m not much of a performance freak, I don’t overclock and I don’t benchmark, just want things to run smooth.
    Is the change from ddr4 to ddr5 so relevant?

2. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    if you nor performance freak then no it would not matter atlest not imo. but might only be true of higher latency ddr5

depending on how long you hold on your system I would go to DDR5

Lurk likes this.
  3. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Devil RX 6900 XTU
    There is alot of performance lost pairing it with a ddr4 memory.

Lurk likes this.
  4. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX4090
    Just get the 13600 then, the K or the KF just just has slightly higher clocks (100MHz on the Performance cores) the efficiency cores really don't matter that much as they won't be used during gaming. That and the 13600 is cheaper and comes with an iGPU if you ever need to use it, its there and trust me if your GPU dies for any reason (and they can when you least expect it) at least you have the iGPU as a backup and you can still use your PC. Not to forget but you can also take advantage of Intels Quicksync tech too for recording and editing if needed.

The only real difference between the 13600 and 13600KF is the amount of L2 cache (11.5MB to 20MB) this is almost double and will effect performance. Both have 24MB L3 though so really this won't matter too much.

I see you have a 4080 which unless you are playing at 4K you will probably see bottlenecks even with the KF chip and especially in cpu intensive games.

I would see how much you can get for your current CPU, MOBO, RAM setup and consider going either 14th gen or move to AMD and get a Zen 4 chip.

If you want to stick to Intel and you are really strapped for cash then grab the 13600 and put the money you saved and then grab DDR5 memory.

If you want to instead grab a AMD 7600X, 32GB RAM and a B650 mobo (Selling what you already have), this way you get 32MB L3 cache, higher clockspeeds, lower power draw, and the AM5 platform which will be supported a lot longer than the Intel ones. Peace of mind knowing when new CPU's come out in the next 2-3 years you can just flash the BIOS and drop in a new chip. AM4 is still being supported now, so AM5 will last way longer.

Lurk likes this.

5. Lurk

Lurk Master Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX4080 VertoOC
    Possible paths:

Intel

• ASUS PRIME Z790-P
    • Intel® Core™ i5-13600KF
    • 32Gb Kingston FURY Beast DDR5 6000
    alternative mobo solution to hold on to recently purchased 64Gb DDR4:
    • ASUS TUF GAMING Z790-PLUS D4
    AMD
    • ASUS PRIME X670-P
    • AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
    • 32Gb Kingston FURY Beast DDR5 6000

6. rflair

rflair Don Coleus Staff Member

GPU:
    5700XT
    The latter.

Lurk likes this.
  7. Freeman

Freeman Master Guru

GPU:
    4060 ti 8gb
    "ASUS PRIME Z790-P " looks a bit budget.

Intel is good choice and 13600K is about the same price, no? Comes with iGPU.

Lurk likes this.
  8. Lurk

Lurk Master Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX4080 VertoOC
    So now I can't decide between these two to go with the 7800x3D. One is X670, newer chipset but lower-end mobo, the other is older chipset but TUF with better VRM cooling.

- ASUS TUF GAMING B650-PLUS
    - ASUS PRIME X670-P

Last edited: Feb 23, 2024
  9. Glottiz

Glottiz Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TUF 3080 OC
    Yeah Intel's been great in budget CPUs. Same price? Not Even close.13600KF is about 100 euros cheaper than 7800X3D. Then there's also 14400F at impressive price. In the end there's very little difference between all these recent desktop CPUs in gaming. People build unbalanced PCs. Spend too much on CPU, not enough on GPU.

Lurk likes this.
  10. Disabled

Disabled Member

GPU:
    gtx 1080
    You didn't said with what GPU you gonna pair your next CPU.
    It matters 'only' if your gaming probably. My take on this is not to end up into a bottleneck, cpu is much worse so higher cpu lower gpu.

I will go with better VRM cooling, think the newer cipset will not be the silver bullet, unless is a situation like AM4 with x570 vs b550.
    Prepare yourself for water cooling o_O 7900x3d or 13600k.

Lurk likes this.

11. Lurk

Lurk Master Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX4080 VertoOC
    I agree with the cpu craze for gaming, bringing people to ditch perfectly performing cpu's for the latest and greatest.
    I'm currently on an i9-9900kf + rtx 4080 and the 4080 runs 80% while the cpu sits comfortably below 70%.
    If there is a bottleneck I can't perceive it whatsoever while gaming.
    I could probably hold on upgrading, but after 5+ years with the same mobo and cpu, I feel it's time to give it a shot. I was lucky with my current board, so I'm looking for something as future proof as possible.
    As CPC_RedDawn said above, probably AM5 is the best path to take. I'm undecided between chipset, as one will lock me out of pcie 5.0.

12. Disabled

Disabled Member

GPU:
    gtx 1080
    Great CPU, at least for gaming, one of the "top 5" Intel produced, I will put this one equal to GTX 1080Ti.
    If I have to choose I will pic the 10900K, not because next gen, "next gen" is nearly as a commercial nowadays. I will pic it for the amount
    of physical cores and for an alternative cooling solution(not water).
    But your upgrade it's yours right, wanna play 4k at 80fps at least? what..

Yeah, I read his post, he is right but.. he didn't mention the 'drawbacks' / drawbacks have.. the AM5 cpus and the DDR5 memory.
    But you said it yourself right?

If that's so.. just put something there and move on, what's the holdup? :cool:
    You won't find that much relevance with DDR5 but is.. 'here to last'(hate those words).
    Just look at me, I still run DDR 3 sytem in 2024 and I have under 1ns plus to latency, compared to a very well tuned DDR4. So it is my DDR3
    here to last or what :eek:
    Well when it comes to DDR5 things get 'ugly' because of costs and the latency(up to 7600MHz with 'good' cls). So if you buy DDR5 6000
    as intended, you will add MORE latency to the system, or to WHAT.. you currently perceive/can/don't care as latency.
    But latency belongs to performance and you are.. not much, not freak, I don't know.. gamer/nah, 4k/nah/maybe. Can't image to have/buy
    a RTX 4080 to game on 1080p, so probably have a 2k, 4k, or 5k display. The higher the resolution, the lower the bottleneck what a cpu
    'produce' when paired with a 'non equal gpu'. So at 4k(?) you stand at 30% cpu bottleneck(perceived or not).
    I am a hardware freak, a bad overclocker and I played at high level(did not put that avatar in vain o_O).. I am running Linux as my daily driver
    since nvidia did not want to 'release' a driver for my gtx 1080, due to outdated XP / micro$oft / whatever

But enough for 'today' !
    I have a job to do..
    Returnal is waiting, not that bad as Remnant(survival mode) is, but we have prove ourselves like Predators do! Right? :D

Lurk likes this.
  13. Lurk

Lurk Master Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX4080 VertoOC
    I consider myself to be in a sweet spot:
    3440x1440 UWQHD on an Alienware AW3423DWF (my best capital sin so far) seems perfect for the RTX 4080.
    As I said, I feel it's the right time to enter a new upgrade cycle.
    Still haven't received some solid opinion on whether to go Intel or AMD, though!
    I can handle the difference in price between the two, provided it's limited to ram. By choosing an LG1700 board I can keep my 64Gb DDR4, but I'm still able to handle 32Gb DDR5 should I opt for AMD5.

Help, help!;)

AuerX likes this.
  14. Glottiz

Glottiz Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TUF 3080 OC
    Just toss a coin. There really isn't much difference between AMD or Intel. All these top CPUs are within few percentage of each other. I prefer better stability and less bugs so I go Intel. AMD tends to have weird issues and bugs from time to time (mostly due to janky BIOS from what I gathered).

Lurk likes this.
  15. Valken

Valken Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Forsa 1060 3GB Temp GPU
    My suggestion: B550 or X570 motherboard that supports your 64GB of RAM, 5600, 5700 or 5800XD CPU. Nothing else. Best Bang for the buck.

Lurk and AuerX like this.

16. AuerX

AuerX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Moravec's paradox
    This.

I have the 5800X3D and a 4080 with the AW DWF display as well and it's a really great combo

Lurk and Valken like this.
  17. Freeman

Freeman Master Guru

GPU:
    4060 ti 8gb
    That's a big "difference'". AMD reminds of Linux, it's cheaper and same performance if you got free time.

And this is what will happen again here, guy comes and writes "AMD or Intel"?.
    Users say" Intel hassle free".
    In 2 weeks:" hey guys, trying to find the sweet spot for BIOS settings , because I just spent almost 500$ and games are stuttering
    I meant K vs KF. Author goes for KF.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2024
    Lurk likes this.
  18. Lurk

Lurk Master Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX4080 VertoOC
    Thanks to everyone in the Think Tank for the brainstorming session!
    Will decide this week.

19. Lurk

Lurk Master Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX4080 VertoOC
    Finally got through with this, been quite a feat. Ended up opting for a "cooled by Noctua™" environment, mainly so I could recycle leftover fans from previous setup.
    'Old' sound card and HD's went in as well.
    • Asus Prime x670e-pro wifi
    • Ryzen 7 7800X3D
    • 32Gb CL30 DDR5 6000 Corsair Vengeance RGB
    • PNY 4080 Verto OC RGB
    • 3x Crucial P3 M.2's (2x2Tb + 1x500Gb)
    • 2x2Tb Seagate Barracuda 7200rpm HD's
    • Asus Xonar DSX PCIe
    • Corsair RM1000E psu
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 15, 2024
    Undying likes this.