Upgrade Asus GTX 770 2GB to Sapphire RX 470

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by Framani, Sep 21, 2016.

1. Framani

Framani Member

GPU:
    Sapphire Nitro+ RX 470 8G
    Hey guys, as the title says I recently decided to upgrade my gtx 770 2gb, it's still a good card but lately I've noticed that it doesn't perform that well on new games. So I ask you, how much difference would I observe if I finally decide to upgrade to an rx 470, especifically the sapphire nitro+ rx 470 with 8 gb. I have an amd fx 8120 @ 4 ghz, 24gb 1600mhz ram. Would my current system bottleneck this card? Would I see minor/major changes? I play games such as the witcher 3, shadow of mordor (pretty addictive though), I'll replay rottr with this card,I intend to play doom and any dx12/vulkan game that comes in the next years. All games have to be tweaked to achieve enjoyable framerates and I would like to play games with good quality and fps, if possible.

Greetings and thanks for your attention.

2. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus RX580 XTR 8GB
  3. Framani

Framani Member

GPU:
    I live in Mexico and the economical situation is not going well against the dollar but I managed to get it the cheapest in Amazon US for $290, anywhere else was a ripoff, lol. It's good to know that this card will perform alright. Thanks for the quick response.

4. PinguX

PinguX Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 280
    Good upgrade over the gtx770, however your cpu will bottleneck the card a bit.

5. Framani

Framani Member

GPU:
    How much would the gpu be bottlenecked? Would i be able to play at least @ 60+ fps in games released in late 2015-early 2016? What about vulkan/dx12 games, will I see good performance with my current setup?

6. Tree Dude

Tree Dude Master Guru

GPU:
    Radeon R9 270X 2GB
    Really depends on the game. CPU bound games will suffer the most. I would look for benchmarks of games you are looking to play.

7. Framani

Framani Member

GPU:
    I've been having problems with the fans going all the way to the highest fan rpm (about 3451)for no reason apparently. I could be watching a movie, playing a game, doing some office work and it would ramp up randomly. I currently have the catalyst 16.9.1 because with catalyst 16.9.2 it did the behavior i told you about once and again. Are AMD drivers this buggy at start or they always have issues?

8. Xman01

Xman01 Active Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1070 Mini
    May be thermal related. Not sure if the Nitro 470's have the "silent" bios where the fans don't spin until a certain temp is reached.

9. Framani

Framani Member

GPU:
    This is different than the default bios behavior, because the fans spin to their fastest speed and occasionally they throw a bsod "Thread stuck in device driver". It hasn't happened lately, though. It's very random, so i guess the drivers are the culprit.