Upgrade Advice

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by Brewer74, Jun 4, 2010.

1. Brewer74

Brewer74 Member

GPU:
    BFG 8800GTX 756MB
    Hey Guys,

I am mega confused. I have been running the current setup for a while now. Love the thing and it goes well, but I want some new Video Card love.

OS Name Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium
    Processor Intel(R) Core 2 Duo CPU E6750 @ 2.66GHz, 2666 Mhz,
    Installed Physical Memory 4.00 GB
    Videocard 8800GTX X2 in SLI
    Zalman 1KW Powersupply
    evga 680i SLI nForce Motherboard

Now, I am thinking going SLI, probably not straight away, but into the future. I will probably start out with 1 and then use one of the 8800's as a physx mule, for now. The question is, what card to go for. I am thinking staying with nvidia, because I really like this motherboard, but am reluctant to go the GTX480 path. They run a bit hot and are the first of the generation, which I have seen has caused a few issues on launch.

My other option was going 2 GTX295's (or maybe start with 1). I know the 480 will murder the 295 on raw performance, but I am thinking get the last "mastered" version of the old architecture or go for the brand spanking new. If I go the 295's I will be able to sit back and watch the Fermi card evolve, but if I get the 480, I will be on the bleeding edge, and that is why I got the 8800's at the time.

I am really torn and need some help to make a decision. Will I see a major difference from the 8800's? I am noticing games are starting to struggle, only some, but it's a sign to upgrade.

Thanks for any help you guys can provide, I really value your input. Thanks in advance.

2. TruMutton_200Hz

TruMutton_200Hz Ancient Guru

GPU:
    820M/2GB
    If you want future upgrade capability then I don't understand why you'd choose for DirectX 10 instead of 11. It's an easy choice because the GTX 295 usually runs hotter than the GTX 480 anyway.

3. Solfaur

Solfaur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080Ti Ga.X
    True and if you fear so much about the heat go ATI or wait another ~6 months for 480 refresh. But really if you have good case and airflow you will be fine even with the standard gtx 480.

4. Omagana

Omagana Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 780 SLI
    Your cuurent CPU is gonna be a bottleneck to multi GPU's,

I would go with a GTX470 or an ATI 5870 and then put the savings towards a new CPU.

5. Brewer74

Brewer74 Member

GPU:
    BFG 8800GTX 756MB
    Yea good point. I reallt appreciate the responses guys. Need some good Points of view on the issue. I have pretty much decided to go the Fermi architecture, probably wait for a new revison of the 480 though. I am thinking of upgrading the CPU, to stop the bottlenecks though. What processer on this Mboard do you think I should go for? I would like to go Quad Core, but am unsure of the best performance vs cash scenario here. What would you guys recommend that will give me the best results? The 680i is a bit old now, I know, but it has been rock solid and I really it, so I am reluctant to change. Thanks again for any help you can provide

6. Cyberdyne

Cyberdyne Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra
    I mean I guess it depends on how much $$$ you want to spend.

It seems the sweet spot would be X58 (some 200-300 mobo, like the UD3) an i7 930 and 2x3GB 1600MHZ RAM (like G.Skill or OCZ).

But maybe you are under a tighter budget and need some "enthusiast hardware for cheap bast**ds" like me. Or maybe you want them high end stuff that I only can drool at.

7. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Redacted by NDA
    Get a Q9550 or similar quad and clock it to 4GHz.
    You'll need a decent heatsink, no need to go mad but get a well reviewed one.

Rather than going SLI with last gen cards now, get a single card (GTX470 minimum) and go SLI later.
    Your PSUs spec is good enough.

8. methylbenzoate

methylbenzoate Master Guru

GPU:
    PNY GTX 550 Ti
    The nForce 680i chipset cannot use 45nm quad core CPUs.

http://www.evga.com/support/motherboard/

It's probably best to upgrade to the X58 platform now, if the budget allows. If not, an E8400 - E8600 will stretch your performance a bit further.

9. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Redacted by NDA
    well spotted!

10. Brewer74

Brewer74 Member

GPU:
    BFG 8800GTX 756MB
    Thanx Again guys, Some good advice here. So what the general concensus is that I will need a new mobo, but I think I will do the whole hog when I decide to go to the new architecture. So now, my main concern is getting the most out of the current setup to tide me over. (probably early next year or so is athe tim for the full upgrade). Do you guys think there is a case for e to upgrade the CPU to a E8600 til then? Will it be a waste of money or will it help out the current 8800GTX SLI setup and reduce bottlenecks? Also, when I do upgrade the mobo, will that mean new RAM? I thought I might be able to upgrade ths one for a while yet, but the cpu issue seems to be a big one. Again, I really appreciate all the help.

11. Ieldra

Ieldra Banned

GPU:
    GTX 980Ti G1 1500/8000
    As they said your CPU would bottleneck any current high end multi-gpu setups.
    I'd buy a 470 or 5870 and then keep saving for new cpu and motherboard, though I gotta say sandy bridge is just around the corner, it'll be cheaper than getting X58 and as far as I know will pack a stronger punch than current P55 setups.
    If you don't wanna wait though get a P55 with a i5, they're a beauty when overclocked

12. Liranan

Liranan Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 6870 1000/1200
    I recommend AMD over Intel. Same performance, for less or the same. You can get an X6, a decent 890 board and clock that easily to 4GHz. The only CPU that can beat this is the i7 980, which is 4-5x the price of the X6 1090.

If you must have SLI you can also get an nVidia AMD board, though, I wouldn't recommend that. I'd recommend staying with Intel if you must have the option to SLI your cards.

13. Ieldra

Ieldra Banned

GPU:
    GTX 980Ti G1 1500/8000
    i7980X is not the only CPU that can match an X6 overclocked to 4GHz... Any i7 can match it clock per clock, in fact as far as I know i7 is faster, clock per clock

14. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Redacted by NDA
    This is a decent article at Anand on which platform gives best value running CrossfireX.
    C2Q, i7 and Phenom II are benchmarked.
    http://www.anandtech.com/show/2715

edit:
    forgot to add,
    the article falls short a bit because they only test with 2xAA.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2010
  15. Ieldra

Ieldra Banned

GPU:
    GTX 980Ti G1 1500/8000
    Game performance is not indicative of CPU performance, you really need decoding benchmarks etc. Check the guru reviews

16. TruMutton_200Hz

TruMutton_200Hz Ancient Guru

GPU:
    820M/2GB
    The UD3 may be an excellent choice for alot of people but I personally wouldn't want to waste my money on it for two basic reasons: Asus offers better USB 3.0 performance and if you plug an expansion card into one of the two PCI-e x8 slots on the UD3 then both of its PCI-e x16 slots will drop to x8 mode, meaning you'll get 5% less framerate in your games on average. I think you'll agree that 5% of the total price of your rig is often already more than enough to justify the price difference between the UD3 and a more decent motherboard, even though it still mostly depends on what it is you have in mind.

So for me, the 'real' sweet spot would be Asus P6X58D Premium and not the UD3 because I'd want to be able to add a second vidcard as well as a proper soundcard soon or later.

17. Brewer74

Brewer74 Member

GPU:
    BFG 8800GTX 756MB
    Yea, I think i am sticking with the Current setup for a little. Do you think there is much merit or point in me upgrading the CPU to a E8600? Not too expensive, and can push the rig as far as it can go, which should see me through to the next big upgrade.

18. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Redacted by NDA
    Aye, should also have labeled it "for gaming".
    I was shagged man.

19. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    I think with 2x 8800GTX's you'll benefit from upgrading your CPU.

Your CPU is prob holding back your SLI setup a little.

20. methylbenzoate

methylbenzoate Master Guru

GPU:
    PNY GTX 550 Ti