Upgrade advice for 4790K + 970

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by Saiyan, Mar 29, 2020.

1. Saiyan

Saiyan Member Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 12GB
    Hi fellow gurus,

As my 5 year old system is not cutting it any more, I am thinking about getting myself a new GPU. I am running a 4790K@4.7GHz, 16Gb RAM and have an OC'd 970 that has been fine so far but now an upgrade is due. I am only looking to upgrade the GPU as I believe the CPU is still fine for my use (see below).

Some important cornerstones:
    1. I am nVidia-bound as I have a g-sync monitor
    2. I play at 1080p and want to max out detail but am not pushing for 100+ fps
    3. I want to be able to use Ray Tracing post-upgrade
    4. I usually play large, single-player, open-world games (Witcher 3, RDR2, Nioh, TR, etc.) and some FPS (DOOM, Dying Light, etc).
    Now the question is: do you guys think I should go for current-gen (e.g. 2060/2070 SUPER) or wait for Ampere's mainstream offering (3060?). I think anything above those (i.e 2080 or 3070) would be overkill for 1080p but I am concerned about RT performance in upcoming titles like Cyberpunk 2077.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.
    Thanks

2. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    Depends on how fast you want to upgrade.
    If you are really determined to buy now, 2060 could be your golden ticket.
    Now, if you want to wait for the new gen Nvidia, how can really know when they release it and shelf availability and price.
    Any hints on the budget?

3. vestibule

vestibule Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon RX6600XT
    I would go for a new build. Some nutter will pay a small fortune for your Intel CPU.
    Go AMD 3600, Nvidia 2060 because of DLSS2.0 and 16x3600 Ram with tight timings.
    Storage. 256GB SSD for windows 10pro64 and 4TB HDD linked with AMD store mi. :)
    AH, Forgot MOBO, MSI B450M Pro VDH Plus. If you need to bring the Bios up to date, flashing with MSI is a peace of cake.
    Sigle rail 600W modular psu or use a psu calculator.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2020
  4. jbscotchman

jbscotchman Guest

GPU:
    MSI 1660 Ti Ventus
    If you've made it this long with a 970 I would hold off until Ampere 3060 (or whatever it's called) is released. I also want good and affordable ray-tracing in Cyberpunk so I wouldn't bother with the current RTX series.

5. Saiyan

Saiyan Member Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 12GB
    Budget-wise I'd say around 4-500€.
    I'm not determined to buy now, I'm just thinking that if the next gen becomes overkill for my current setup, I might as well buy one now and enjoy it over the summer.

6. Saiyan

Saiyan Member Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 12GB
    My doubts exactly about RT.
    As far as I can tell, from the current gen I would need at least a 2070S to be able to run RT for the next 2-3 years. Then afterwards I will anyway have to do a full upgrade.

PS. I'm actually surprised how much I'm getting out of the 970: apart from rdr2 I was so far able to play practically everything else maxed out with maybe only textures toned down a notch. G-sync also works wonders in the 30-60 fps range.

jbscotchman likes this.
  7. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    Well, plenty of budget for 1080 gaming. Could get a good card now or in the near future.
    However, we could assume much that Cyberpunk 2077 could make a better use of more cores and a new card.
    If you can wait, the advice @vestibule gave makes a lot of sense. Imagine that you can upgrade ALL your hardware, not only the GPU.
    Selling your computer parts will help a lot with the new build and the AM4 platform will allow to upgrade to a better CPU down the road.
    Yes, for those who will say that we'll have by then AM5 and DDRR5...you know too well that everything is going to be obsolete at one point.
    The idea is to render less money spent on parts obsolete and get the most of it for the longest term possible.
    So , OP you have some options, doesn't matter what you choose, just make the decision after considering all your options, even those who seems far fetched or outlandish.
    Sometimes, the long term investments look crazy at first, then make more sense.
    Anyway, good luck with your endeavours.
    Cheers!

jbscotchman likes this.
  8. Mineria

Mineria Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3080 Ti
    If you need performance now I would go with a 2070 Super, regarding Cyberpunk, if it can push ray tracing hard it's better to wait for the next gen, just as example, Metro Ex is probably the game pushing it hardest at the moment, it drops the minimum fps on a 2060 Super to around 40 @ 1080p.
    Your CPU is good but it does throttle even at 4.8GHz, with consoles going 8 cores I would go with a 3700X, any good X570, X470 or B450 board should do, check reviews, and make sure it can handle at least 3600Mhz DDR4 thou, think CL15-17 should be ok.
    Cyberpunk will most probably utilize all 8 cores as well.

9. Corbus

Corbus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Moist 6900 XT
    Wait for next gen ryzen/ampere. If you can't, as you said, i'd go with a 2070 the most, RT isn't worth it,the real seller for rtx cards is the DLSS 2.0 imo.

Now i dont know how well RT will be implemented in cyberpunk,but i think you'll get decent performance even with a 2060 with RT on at 1080p, as long as you use DLSS.

But how i see it,if cyberpunk is your main attraction wait on pulling the trigger, at least wait for it to release. Then see some benchmarks and stuff ,maybe ampere will release then as well.

10. Mineria

Mineria Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3080 Ti
    A new 2070 Super is cheaper than a 2070, at least here it is, performance wise it get's close to a 2080.
    AS for DLSS, the game needs to support it by itself or via RT, not a lot of games do that atm.

Ampere will probably only come with half of the memory it supports, so 8GB on 3070 and 10 on 2080, just mention it since people running at 4K would like more, will be interesting to see how it turns out and how those cards will perform.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2020