UPGR from 9800 Pro to 6600GT = dud picture?

Discussion in 'The HTPC, HDTV & Ultra High Definition section' started by Slates, Mar 17, 2006.

1. Slates

Slates Member

GPU:
    PNY 6600GT 128m
    G'day all.
    I have a Avermedia card that does HD pretty good. In fact, it was a bloody good picture on a standard 17 inch LCD monitor using the Herc 9800 pro.

Anyway, I've recently "upgraded" to a PNY 6600GT and the picture is HOPELESS!!
    Hate to think what it'd be like on a TV or anything!?

The picture pixelates every now and then, it is very 'soft' (ie: 9800PRo was 'sharp' as a pin!) and struggles with shadows and just does not compare to the 9800 PRO.

A few things:
    I have tried several drivers - no difference
    it is on a clean install apart from a few different display drivers.

sys specs: Geil 400mhz 1024mb @ cas2
    3000XP
    200JB HD
    Epox 8RDA+ MB

My thoughts:

new ATI video card or try another brand of 6600GT?

I've heard so much about the 6600GT as far as HDTV went so this I find most dissapointing and not really what I expected.

Thanks in advance for any responses/ideas

Cheers, NS

2. ASmokerz

ASmokerz Member Guru

GPU:
    Power Color 9800 PRO @ 405/715
    WTH u actually when from a 9800PRO to a 6600 GT ... OMG thats the biggest waste of money for 3-8 percent extra fps ...

3. PineMangoes

PineMangoes Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7800 GS XXX edition @stock
    It's a well-known fact that nVidia's iq sometimes doesn't look as sleek as ATI (i recently changed from a 9800pro myself and see the difference). Furthermore, upgrading to a 6600GT was just a fudging waste of cash, since it's only marginally faster and too slow to take full advantage of the 6 series features (hdr, sm 3.0). If it doesn't degrade your performance too much, you might try using a spot of AA to enhance your iq, otherwise i'd say sell your card, go back to the 9800 for a few months and get something that réally makes a difference.

4. Slates

Slates Member

GPU:
    PNY 6600GT 128m
    Thanks for the replies.

It would seem like a waste of money except I only paid AU$100 for the 6600GT and going by toms VGA charts, this card was a bit ahead of the 9800 PRO so it seemed like an 'upgrade' to me, but obviously not for HDTV - pity.

What are ppls thoughts on a X800 pro in AGP?

TIA, NS

5. PineMangoes

PineMangoes Master Guru

GPU:
    X800 pro isn't bad at all; whether it's worth getting depends on the price, i wouldn't go higher than 200€/US$, as the 6800 GS for 220 is faster and unlockable. If you're the adventurous type, i'd say go for the x800, it can be softmodded into an x800XT, which pwns every agp card cept for the 7800 GS and x850xt pe

6. Slates

Slates Member

GPU:
    PNY 6600GT 128m
    yeah, being in Australia somewhat inflates prices - for everything, but that's another story.
    By X800, you mean the non-pro version?

7. PineMangoes

PineMangoes Master Guru

GPU:
    Sorry no, i meant the pro version. I'm not sure whether the XL/SE editions can be softmodded, but i don't think so. Whichever card you take, you'll see a huge boost from your 6600GT!

8. scipio

scipio Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Evga 1080 gaming
    did you try the purevideo decoder from nvidia?

9. Kain

Kain Ancient Guru

Use purevideo as it has been said and post results.