Updating (manually) your PCI bus driver?Help needed.

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards Intel' started by badlifer, Jun 29, 2015.

1. badlifer

badlifer Member

GPU:
    r9 280msi 3gb
    So I found out that my PCI bus driver is from 2006...A driver finding software prompts me to download a 2013 version but that one is from AMD.

Do I just install that one or do I need an intel one?If I need the intel one..how?I can't find anything....I tried manually updating it from the chipset inf file likes some guys mention here :

http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=373501 (ctrl+f intel in last and first page)

But I fail... Can you help me?

2. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 2070 Super
    Mine is also dated 2006. But the version - 6.3.X - is correct for Win8.1.
    Microsoft` own driver pci.sys is enough for correct work.

3. thatguy91

thatguy91 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX 480 RS 4 GB
    The driver date for a lot of the standard Microsoft drivers are meaningless. The PCI bus driver is generic, and the AMD driver is supplementary to it. It is also compatible with the Intel chipset due to the nature of the driver. Not sure if there are any performance differences using the filter, especially on Intel, someone should do a detailed test. This would be best with a modern Intel system, modern AMD card, and preferably Windows 10 when it comes out, using the latest Windows 10 drivers. The AMD PCI filter driver is updated for Windows 10 (from memory).

4. badlifer

badlifer Member

GPU:
    r9 280msi 3gb

1)So it is okay to install AMD pci bus driver to my asus intel mobo right?
    2) Is there any chance that the updating of this driver might save me from some bsod probs I am having?

5. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 2070 Super
    Only in case you have AMD videocard.

Usually the less additional drivers the better stability.

6. GanjaStar

GanjaStar Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4G gtx970 1506/8000
    this has been discussed before. nothing will change except the driver description.

BSOD's won't be fixed by updating inf data on pci bus drivers.