Updating Display Driver failed error

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by BlackNova92, Oct 15, 2020.

1. BlackNova92

BlackNova92 Master Guru

GPU:
    16gb
    I've just got this today, i'm sitting on windows base drivers right now because whenever it installs a driver, it just stops and gives me installation failed error.

I even used a restore point, tried to use DDU several times, nothing.
    What could cause this?
    I've never had this issue before and i have no idea how to deal with it.

Please if anyone knows what to do, i could really need some help.

2. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    It would not hurt to state OS, videocard, pre-history (like whether all was OK on some previous drivers or whether this is new card), and error details.

upd:
    If you are on Win8 or Win10 you can:

- check the state of the OS image
    https://www.windowscentral.com/how-use-dism-command-line-utility-repair-windows-10-image

- use DriverStoreExplorer
    https://github.com/lostindark/DriverStoreExplorer/releases/tag/v0.11.42
    to delete all instances of NVIDIA GPU drivers

- (on any Windows) set a variable to show not-connected devices in Device Manager
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...es-not-display-devices-that-are-not-connected
    to reveal hidden NVIDIA GPU devices and to delete them

upd: Also it is considered better to disconnect from Internet installing drivers.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2020
  3. BlackNova92

BlackNova92 Master Guru

GPU:
    16gb
    Sorry about that, you're right.
    I'm on W10-2004
    Gtx1080 and used the latest driver and wanted to downgrade.
    I used DDU and after that i used a program that is downloading a driver you select, i forgot the name, it was from techpowerup.
    and literally after that i got the error, even using DDU several times and a system restore didn't work.
    About the error itself, i can't say a lot about it, only that it says installation failed, sorry.

4. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    @BlackNova92

So try steps I wrote above. They can help.

As for installation failure, you can try to use this app
    https://forums.guru3d.com/threads/alternative-event-viewer-for-windows.431209/
    to spy on events during the installation:
    - launch the app and start subscription for error events from all logs;
    - launch the driver installation;
    - after the installation error occurred switch back to event viewer app, stop subscription and browse the error events;
    - if no error events in app then start subscription for all events and repeat the driver installation.

But why use special app to download specific drivers when you can download any driver offered at NVIDIA site and then install like usual users do? Have you tried to install drivers from NVIDIA manually?

5. BlackNova92

BlackNova92 Master Guru

GPU:
    16gb
    yeah i usually download the driver, then slim it and install it, the reason why i did it was because some recommended the program and i thought, eh why not try it out myself, because it basically removed everything unwanted like telemetry, it enabled msi and all that stuff.
    but in the end it F'd up my card, i guess.
    So from now on, i'll do it manually again.

6. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    Not the card, but rather Windows.

7. BlackNova92

BlackNova92 Master Guru

GPU:
    16gb
    okay so i've tried to get rid of every nvidia files as you said and i was wondering if this is also part of nvidia?
    nvdimm.inf_amd64_9bb46b0de5ea33cd
    nvraid.inf_amd64_144351277838b429

because it simply won't let me delete these 2 files
    i've also tried to "claim" them but it made no difference, it just said i need admin rights and obviously i do have them.

8. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    They do not relate to video card. It is a bad idea to delete such files (from within a Windows folder, right?) manually in Explorer.

9. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    deleting anything from driverstore is a no no, use rapr or pnputil to remove them properly.

those files are stock windows drivers.

10. BlackNova92

BlackNova92 Master Guru

GPU:
    16gb
    yeah it's in the same folder where the nvidia files are located that you delete with the tool you linked me to use.
    i was just asking because someone mentioned to delete all files related to "nv" but i was thinking that they could be related to nvme maybe?
    so far the drivers are not failing anymore but overall performance of my gtx1080 is still poopoo compared to what is was.

11. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    One of the files is related to RAID controller, and another may be to RAM controller.

Sorry to hear that.
    Several.months ago I jumped from 1070 to 2070S, and I am not disappointed.