Updating Cap question

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by Vengeful#1, Sep 7, 2012.

1. Vengeful#1

Vengeful#1 Member Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire HD7970 OC 3GB
    Do you guys like to uninstall the older Cap version first before installing the new one or just install the new version straight over the top of the old one?

Cheers.

2. kevsamiga1974

kevsamiga1974 Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 580 SC
    Uninstall CAP without reboot, Install newer cap, reboot, done.

I've seen double entries of application profiles in the past in add/remove programs so I don't use the over the top method.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2012
  3. Seren

Seren Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus Strix RX570
    Yeah this. I started doing after I realized I had over 10 entries in the add/remove.

4. INSTG8R

INSTG8R Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro+ 5700XT
    Think of them like a BIOS. They contain "all previous fixes and optimizations" They will just "stack" if you don't uninstall them.

5. kn00tcn

kn00tcn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    570m / MSI 660 Gaming OC
    there are 2 things going on, installing overtop just replaces the files (that's fine & dandy)

but then you have a useless list of previous ones in add/remove programs (that's annoying)

so uninstall, no need to restart first time, install new ones, restart

6. SaiBork

SaiBork Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 3080 Ti FE
    Same as all the others. Uninstall, dont reboot, install newer package.

Also same reason as the others, it keeps stacking them in the add/remove progams bit, which is a pain and should really get sorted.

7. tweakpower

tweakpower Banned

GPU:
    MSI HD 6770
    I was not in CAP thing at all, i thought it is only for CFX, guess i was wrong? Any use for single GPU solutions, since i saw "perf. on single gpu solution" etc. ?

8. INSTG8R

INSTG8R Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro+ 5700XT
    Yeah they have been putting single card fixes in them for quite awhile. F12011 is one that comes to mind

9. bc_tileguy

bc_tileguy Active Member

GPU:
    xfx 7970 crossfire
    i guess i've been doing a extra restart for a long time lol , i've always restarted after removing the old caps before installing the new one , but oh well it's only extra 10 seconds or so

10. INSTG8R

INSTG8R Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro+ 5700XT

Unless they changed it without me noticing it forces you to. Uninstall, reboot, installl, reboot

11. kn00tcn

kn00tcn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    570m / MSI 660 Gaming OC
    it doesnt force anything, you just click 'no'

you can go without any restart even, just the old CAP will be in memory until the next restart

12. tweakpower

tweakpower Banned

GPU:
    MSI HD 6770
    Thanks, i just installed it yestrday, and didn't saw so much of a difference, tho i didn't had time to test it properly, but it will do no damage ;).

13. The Goose

The Goose Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSIrtx3070 gaming X
    single card fixes have been in since the start of cap,i think some people think the C stands for crossfire,its best to look in the list of fixes with each new cap file

14. xNAPx

xNAPx Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI R7970 Lightning
    Why should i not restart after unistalling the old cap before installing the new one?

15. SaiBork

SaiBork Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 3080 Ti FE
    xNAPx, you can if you want. It is just not required, so in order to save time we don't restart.

16. Sharoth

Sharoth Master Guru

GPU:
    Aorus RTX 2080 OC
    I uninstall old, install new, then reboot..

17. tweakpower

tweakpower Banned

GPU:
    MSI HD 6770
    Yeah, realized that ;). And i find it very interesting that CAP is not included in driver, that is a good thing for two reasons at least. So, if you don't want, you are not forced to use those optimizations, and, they can update it without needing of new dirver.

18. kevsamiga1974

kevsamiga1974 Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 580 SC
    It is included in the drivers, as the atiapfxx.blb file, amongst others.

Obviously when new drivers are released, this atiapfxx.blb file gets updated with the latest round of "improvements" from the traditional application profiles you install separately that has happened since then.

Even in the old nasty days of pre 10.2, profiles are still included also in the main driver files themselves, so profiles have always been around whether you want them or not so to speak.

Even if you do want to bundle the latest cap along with the driver install yourself, the selection of it is still unticked by default. Nothing forceful about that.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2012
  19. tweakpower

tweakpower Banned

GPU:
    MSI HD 6770
    Didn't know that, I'm obviously new to CAP thingy, and, well, maybe is better not to be in drivers, but, then, persons like me would maybe never have benefits of optimizations in some games. Thanks.

20. kn00tcn

kn00tcn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    570m / MSI 660 Gaming OC
    but you do get the benefits... they come in the next driver which contains a CAP newer than the one that came with the current driver (which would have a CAP usually older than the one you can dload off the amd site)

so in the end... everyone has the same updates, you just have the option to get a few earlier by manually getting the latest CAP