Update on AMD Catalyst 14.1 Mantle Driver release

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jan 31, 2014.

1. Evildead666

Evildead666 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Vega64/EKWB/Noctua
    I thought this driver only supported GCN 1.0 cards ?
    IE, not the GCN1.1 cards (Hawaii etc...)

edit : Just saw you're second AMD tweet Trasher, so it should be ALL GCN Desktop cards. Sweet :)

Anyway, we've waited this long, i'll happily wait a bit longer.
    Its going to take a while to get to some really good improvements, but this is the first release, of a new product.
    You have to expect some bugs here and there. They can't test for every single possible permutation of hardware and software. :)

Last edited: Jan 31, 2014
  2. UZ7

UZ7 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB Vision 3080 10GB
    77xx-79xx are based on GCN 1.0 so it'll work and also GCN based APUs should work.

The newer cards are GCN 2.0, so they will all work.

3. Herem

Herem Active Member

GPU:
    Nvidia 1080
    Without investing in a new monitor I doubt Mantle is going to make much of a difference to your setup to be honest, 72fps is already pretty silky smooth!

4. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
    There is no 14.1 drivers.

5. Deathchild

Deathchild Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    These ain't no normal drivers. I wouldn't give a **** if these were some random whatever drivers. A driver delay? Of course we whine a bit if the esimated delivery was effing December lol.

It's understandable though that they don't want more issues upon release, so of course we have patience. :)

Last edited: Jan 31, 2014
  6. VolkNasty

VolkNasty Active Member

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 TI 11G
    So, AMD only TESTs their drivers for a few days? That seems like a rush job to me. Ive done a lot of firmware/driver verification and usability testing in my day, and it takes more than a few days. We would test for weeks and months for initial releases. As for driver fixes and patches, they could take less time.
    This driver package sounds like a new code drop, which should warrant more time in a testing environment. The article did mention a fix, so maybe a tester got the "bug of the week" award, and found a problem with a testcase. Either way, one less bug is a good thing.

7. 17seconds

17seconds Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 FTW+
    I would say that Guru is pretty bias neutral. I do think their games list, featuring 6 AMD Gaming Evolved titles and only one non-AMD title is a bit biased and that explains the discrepancy you may be seeing versus other websites.

8. ASLayerAODsk

ASLayerAODsk Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 580 8G
    nope..i can achieve 72.1 fps! :D
    IT MUST BE DONE! :D

9. LoccOtHaN

LoccOtHaN Banned

GPU:
    ATi/AMD XFX 7970 DD GhzED
    We ALL will Wait for this Sucker ;-)
    And they do better when its Really Done.... Patience will be rewarded

10. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6800XT Nitro+ SE
    Glad they spotted the bug before release.

Much better to get everything sorted first and have a stable driver for release rather than have issues.

I hope this means that us 7000 series users will get a working driver along with 290/290X users as well.

That 26% increase in DICE's tests is a VERY nice margin. Obviously they tested with a weaker AMD CPU to my OC'd 4770K but still I will take any improvements they give us.

At the end of the day weather its 1% or 50% its still FREE!!!!

Remember that whilst Nvidia are going out their way to make us pay for extra features (ie GSYNC) AMD are busy releasing something that is completely FREE and also leaving the tech open for Nvidia to use if they wish (which wont happen) but its still a much better way of doing business in my eyes.

People with an a new APU must be pretty chuffed about the free performance and makes those chips a even better purchase.

11. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    AMDRadeon twitter feed seems to think so
    https://twitter.com/AMDRadeon

12. VENGEANCE

VENGEANCE Member Guru

GPU:
    GALAX GTX 1070 HOF @2164
    i'll wait and see

13. nz3777

nz3777 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gtx 980 Strix
    Will Mantle do anything for my Amd system? I have a Fx 6100 and a Pair of Radeon 6970s? Or does it pertain to only the new-gen cards and what not? Thank you iam a bit confused.

14. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS RX 470 Strix
    Well.. to be fair I've only used one driver with my video card seeing as I only really just got it a few weeks ago, and this is my first "AMD" video card.. I've used NVIDIA video cards since 2007, prior to that I had two "ATI" video cards.

And I used to go crazy over new NVIDIA drivers xD

I must say AMD drivers are very nice.. after all the driver crashes I have had over the past 2 years with my prior GTX 460 it's like a breath of fresh air knowing that the Windows desktop will not make the driver crash, that web browsers wont make the driver crash.. and that "so far" video games have not made the driver crash.

15. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS RX 470 Strix
    Mantle is for all GCN AMD video cards, which is 7000 series.

Someone correct me if I am wrong.

16. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
    ^ Thats correct, 6 series are the old VLIW4. :)

17. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    nope. 7 series and up.

18. VENGEANCE

VENGEANCE Member Guru

GPU:
    GALAX GTX 1070 HOF @2164
    im not so sure about this method from amd ...giving free performance results in people not buying their new stock regualary and they bankrupt themselves in the long run....cause say if u got a amd card having extra performance you are not gonna upgrade your rig so often as it is not so necessary causing amd to have a loss of money.....bad move

19. MadGizmo

MadGizmo Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI R9 290X 8GB 2560*1440
    Interesting thought. However, it seems that DX is the problem. It does not fully utilize the capabilities of modern graphics cards/CPUs/APUs. The story is that DICE was not satisfied with that and lobbied with Microsoft, Nvidia and AMD to create something like Mantle. In the end only AMD responded. I think that even if Mantle fails to get wide acceptance that it may result in Microsoft to dream up a more efficient version of DX.

20. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX5700
    It was known before launch that cards based on Tahiti would not support TrueAudio.

And VLIW5....

I back off on "updating" drivers for my NVidia cards, specifically my GTX460 for that reason. NVidia really pissed me off when I updated the driver for my GTX560Ti and lost the ability to run my card heavily overclocked. I was knocked down from 1022mhz to 900mhz in a single driver update. Seemed in bad taste to me, to release an update that intentionally reduced the potential of a product.