UPDATE: Brief report on my Win10x64 changeover from FX-8320e to R5 1600...

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards AMD' started by waltc3, Feb 10, 2018.

1. waltc3

waltc3 Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX-480 8GB
    I just updated the bios in my MSI Gaming Pro Carbon AC a few minutes ago to the latest bios version accessible from MSI's site--2.8 (from 2.5), and I am extremely pleased to report that my Patriot Viper Elite Ram booted to 3200Mhz the very first time (previously my best efforts could get no faster than 3066MHz)--I had to do nothing more elaborate than select X-AMP mode 2 and the system took care of the rest...! Now, we're cookin' with gas...;) Very nice. Working exactly as advertised...! Thought some of you guys might like to know...;)

AsiJu, Lilith and blitz72 like this.
  2. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX 470
    That's awesome. I'm still on UEFI 7A43v15 that was released last May. I might go ahead and update to 7A34v1C since I have to disable the integrated lan anyway and both are done from within the UEFI. I'm just not really a fan of trying to fix what isn't broken these days. Your situation was different from mine though as something was obviously broken before when your ram was limited to 3066mhz.

airbud7 likes this.
  3. thatguy91

thatguy91 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX 480 RS 4 GB
    The new bios is awesome, understand your position though!

4. waltc3

waltc3 Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX-480 8GB
    I guess it's a common enough mistake to confuse the motherboard I have, the MSI Gaming Pro Carbon AC, with the MSI Gaming Pro Carbon (sans the AC) you have...;) Shortly after buying the board I made the same mistake! Here's the page denoting the AC UEFI bioses released: https://us.msi.com/Motherboard/support/X370-GAMING-PRO-CARBON-AC (For my board, the bios numbers start at v20 initially shipped April 2017 and go up from there.) Generally, I agree with your comment about updating a bios, though. In my case, as I mentioned, something was broken and the new 2.8 bios fixed it, as you mentioned!

(Your board: https://us.msi.com/Motherboard/support/X370-GAMING-PRO-CARBON ) The US site mirrors the International MSI site @ https://www.msi.com/Motherboards )

5. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX 470
    I didn't get confused. 7A34 is for the MSI B350 Tomahawk. Both of our boards had the AGESA code 1.1.0.1 updates released the same day., that's the only reason I mentioned it. Usually once I get a system stable, I'm a bit reluctant to change anything. Now, if I were in your position, I'd have been updating the UEFI every time MSI released an update until the issue was resolved.

6. waltc3

waltc3 Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX-480 8GB
    No problem...;) I thought that maybe you got them confused because I did, right after I installed the board! I thought that the GPC AC and GPC were the same motherboard, only that the AC version included the Intel wireless adapter...a logical but apparently incorrect assumption on my part, as the bios version IDs are completely different. I wonder if there are any tangible differences between the boards aside from that...?