Unwinder: How about ATI 9x00 to FireGL X1? SoftQuadro for ATI?

Discussion in 'RivaTuner Advanced Discussion forum' started by Spike Lee III, Jan 8, 2003.

1. Unwinder

Unwinder Moderator Staff Member

Re: Great.

Don't expect that you'll get your hands on it right on Monday, 27th. It may arrive earlier, but may arrive later. I'm not the only man involved in the project, we've to get reaction form all beta testers, I've to finish review/bechmarks analysis then the article must be transleted to English, then webmasters must prepare it to publishing. To many things ETA depend on... I'll do my all to finish all that depends on me till that time, but I'm not pretty sure than the rest will be able to do the same.
    And remeber that all of us work for free, ethusiasm is the only thing that feeds us :)

Last edited: Jan 22, 2003
  2. piller

piller Guest

ethusiasm is the only thing that feeds us

I am about as enthusiastic as a person can get for this to arrive as are a lot of other people I recon. Anyway just wanted to voice my appreciation for the hard work you guys put into bringing us these softmods.

One more thing when did you say the Softquadro FX 2000 would be ready. (ha ha) No seriously!

keep up the good work.

3. drdespair

drdespair New Member

Privet Unwinder,

I have a question for you, I have a Athlon 2100 and your lovely SoftQuadro installed in the ti4600 from Asus (Agp x4)

Based on your preliminary studies would you say that the performance on the ATI is better then the performance on the Nvidia? (the soft versions)

If it is I think I will invest into a 9700 Pro, or will you be able to double "patch" from a 9500 pro to a 9700 pro and then to FireGL X1?

Also, I remember the performance difference we saw on the Softquadro which showed that the drivers provided by Nvidia were much more optimized for Intel processors? will we see the same kind of performance issues with the ATI softsolution? Spacibo!

Denis

4. thelmores

thelmores Guest

first, i want to again thank unwinder for giving us this wonderful tool!!!!

i can't even begin to express my deep gratitude!

i have two questions....

first, and please forgive my ignorance, what are the true benefits of the fire gl cards as compared to a say a 9700 card?

my second question, is some peolple have artifacts after enabling the extra four pipelines on a 9500 card. is this due to a defect in one of the pipes?

i have not seen any artifacts while gaming, but on my boot screen which shows memory and cpu speed, there are a few lines, or dots. i also see these in the win98 boot up screen. could this be related to a bad pipe?

i have played soldier of fortune 2, and did not see ANY artifacts.

thanks again unwinder!!! many are envious of my radeon 9500 non-pro which can do over 14,000 3d marks!

kudo's! [​IMG]

5. evilhomer

evilhomer Guest

interesting

just read the review at tom's hardware regarding FireGL versus Quadro ( http://www.tomshardware.com/graphic/20030123/index.html ) and I noticed the last line of the review says that ATI will be providing a new driver version next week. Will this work on that version, or will each subsequent driver version need an updated version of SoftGL?

by the way, just wanted to say thanks, your work seems incredible. :)

6. Gaston

Gaston Guest

Unwinder a question for you

Unwinder a question for you,

In the review they claim that the FireGL versions have a microcode update. Do you think it is really true or just bull****?

7. Unwinder

Re: interesting

Nobody can give you warranties about forward copmatibility with the drivers that are not even coded yet. But I can _suppose_ that ATI will do everything to block patch script functionality in newer FGL driver version. Yes, it will be necessary to update the script if ATI will change the code _that_is_patched_ by the script, but it won't happend earlier than we'll publish SoftFireGL (now they can only guess which part of code is affected by the script).

One more thing: I don't plan to support SoftFireGL in the future (maybe I will do it, maybe not) coz the script and the article is dedicated for opening users eyes only. However, the article will contatin detailed info on the script and the approach used in it so somebody will be able to continue SoftFireGL if I'll drop it.
    Pro users must know what do they pay for and ATI will get a kick for using the same processors on R9500 ($150) and FireGL (something about $700).

8. Unwinder

Re: Unwinder a question for you

There are no performance differences at all between FireGL X1 and R9700PRO->X1. So the GPUs seems to be absolutely equal.

9. Unwinder

up to 3x boost in professional applications

First, your question is offtopic there. Second, I won't reply to it - use search and read FAQ, I'm tired to repeat that I'll not address the questions which have been already discussed.

10. Gaston

Gaston Guest

Re: Unwinder a question for you

Hmm, this should be obvious to anyone who has read the whole thread.
    I dont think any microcode update should effect performance much, I was more thinking along quality improvements.

There should be some way of comparing rendering results to see if they have changed any microcode to improve rendering quality.

Cant help it, again Unwinder many thanks for the effort you are putting in !!:)

11. first of all let me say what great work in the past you have done with rivatuner and the geforce/quadro's.. me being the proud owner of a 9700 pro cannot wait to test this out once it gets released, I use 3d studio max alot and when the 9500 to 9700 news came out I hoped and prayed that a fire gl would happen and the big daddy is gonna happen the x1. I am totally amazed and anxiously await the release of this bad boy...thank you so very much in advance.., oh may i ask 1 question? when the card is changed to the x1 will it run 3d studio max 5 or 5.1 in direct x9? I ask this because the 9700 will not, or at least not mine or a few of my friends and was curious if this was a driver problem on ati's part or something they are intentionally keeping out of the 9700 owners use.. I know its not your problem , but i thought it couldn't hurt to ask if you knew..once again thanks so much for you work :)

Jones.

12. thebolt00

thebolt00 Guest

After reading all this i'm considering getting myself a new
    graphic-card..

Now i have some questions which someone maby could answer.
    If i've understood correctly you risk getting a card which is faulty if i buy a 9500 (NP), so therefore i'm thinking about getting one which already have 8 functioning pipelines ie 9700 (NP/Pro).
    But i don't really see what the difference is. So, please someone correct my scheme below, and give me pros and cons with what card to get (to be able to softmod it when the patch is released)

9500 -> 9700 (might give faulty pipelines and checkers.. bad luck)
    9500 -> Z1 (no problem?)
    9500 -> X1 (might give checkers)
    9700 -> ????
    9700Pro -> X1 (no problem?)

BR
    Marten Svanfeldt
    Sweden

13. prometheusdt

prometheusdt Member

fingers crossed for 27th....yay!

14. Unwinder

Detailed SoftFireGL review (about 20 pages in SoftFireGL.doc) has been sent to our (www.nvworld.ru) webmaster today. It will be launched when he'll finish translating it to English and prepare i to launch.

15. TimeLord

TimeLord Guest

Hi Unwinder. Have u finished your work now ? :) Im warm..

BTW: Saphire reject all shipments of 9500 NP 128 last week and replacin` it with different part number boards.

16. morphium

morphium New Member

GPU:
    Mentor GF4 TI4200 128
    @TimeLord

C´mmon give him a break. His work is done and its to the webmaster now with the finalization of the document translation.

Expect it today. I´m sure you will survive the rest of the remaining minutes until it is released.

Unwinder:
    I call you the Robin Hood of the Graphics world. Man what you are doing is simply remarkable and outstanding. I cannot say how much I thank you for your whole tweaks and work you are investing for this whole stuff.
    Thank you!

17. Spline

Spline Active Member

GPU:
    Leadtek 5950ultra
    Thank you very much for your work on this mod Unwinder, and
    off course every other tweak/mod progz u made, your work
    is so appreciated.

(hope the "help the cpu to render the final image" plugin works with the firegl softmod:D :D :D )

Here's some info bout that http://forums.newtek.com/discus/messages/2/28914.html?1028813341

18. Unwinder

I'm not so sure. Translating such article to English and making it up is not a job just for a few minutes. Probably It will take some days.

19. coupe333

coupe333 Guest

NEWS of the Translation Process?.....:cool:

20. Unwinder

M8, there is no need to spam. ;) Just be patient and wait, I've said that I did everything that depended on me. You can contact webmaster via leader@nvworld.ru and ask him the same question, but the only answer you'll receive will be 'when it's done'.