Unwinder: How about ATI 9x00 to FireGL X1? SoftQuadro for ATI?

Discussion in 'RivaTuner Advanced Discussion forum' started by Spike Lee III, Jan 8, 2003.

1. PIRATA!

PIRATA! Active Member

GPU:
    XFX 8800 ULTRA
    I am from Italy and a guy in an italian forum made some interesting tests on this.
    He have found that after the mod the graphic card is able to get at highter overclok and be more stable at 8X.
    Performance was a little worst, but overclocking highter he could reach the same performance, and with some better resaults.
    Now I am waiting to know what bios and drivers is he useng.

P.S.: Do you think that transforming a 9500->9700Pro in to a FireGL X1 could elminate some artifacts???

2. loop29

loop29 Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 670 OC
    That´s what it´s all about. No more bios flashing or resistor soldering and Radeon 9500 NP have 256-bit memory interface, that is why the modification works, cause ATI decided to use the same layout for the 9500 NP, it´s only dissabled with the resistor placement. And this is what the script dissables on driver level. But using the future X1 scripts will not eliminate artifacts, cause X1 is using 256-bit memory interface too. So if you got a 9500 NP and 9700Softpatch gives you artifacts they will stay with X1 scripts anyway. I suggest a 9700 will be better choice for modifying into Fire GL X1, so you make sure 256-bit memory interface is working properly.

regards

3. coupe333

coupe333 Guest

Unvinder Fx were is your new Creation?..:) :) :) :cool:

4. TimeLord

TimeLord Guest

hi guys.
    and of course best regards to Unwinder :))

I`ve heard that gamin` performance of FireGL is a bit worse than Radeon9500 -> 9700Pro modified card. Is this true ?

5. Unwinder

Unwinder Moderator Staff Member

In beta testing stage, as usual. I've already selected the ppl I can trust as beta testers for this script, but I've not got results from 'em yet. Beta testing is closed so please don't spam here with beta testing request.
    ETA is 27th of January. I'd like to create full SoftQuadro4-styled ( www.nvworld.ru\docs\sq4e.html ) review including GPU features comparision using both SVP6.1.2 and 7.0 for R9500@Z1, R9500@X1, R9700PRO@X1 and the real X1. I still have not tested it with R9700PRO and haven't got a reply from the tester with R9700PRO, but I expect R9700PRO arrival on the next Friday so I'll be able to test it myself too.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2003
  6. Unwinder

Yes. Absolutely. OpenGL games are a bit slower after mod.

7. TimeLord

TimeLord Guest

Hi Unwinder, thanx for reply.

And what about challenge in directX games ?

8. Unwinder

I've not tried to bench D3D games. The only D3D benchmark I tried was 3DMark. I've just selected fillrate tests to ensure that I've converted R9500 to X1 (i.e. enabled locked pixel pipelines too).

9. MayaN00bie

MayaN00bie Guest

what about all in wonder?

Unwinder.... great job so far, but i have installed an all in wonder 9700 pro.... is it possible to turn on the gl overlay planes and such w/o losing the rest of my tv/VIVO capabilities?

10. Unwinder

Re: what about all in wonder?

I'm not sure that FireGL drivers will provide you VIVO capabilities. But you can use two operating systems and use Catalyst on the first one and FireGL drivers on the second one.

11. DotCom

DotCom Guest

Hello :)

Is there any chance that new softmod will include a script patch turnnig a R8500 64 BBA into a FireGL 8800 or even a FireGL E1, as it was the case for the softquadro2 before the softquadro4?

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 19, 2003
  12. Unwinder

Nope. FireGL 8x00 use different driver set, I'm not gonna support it.

13. PIRATA!

PIRATA! Active Member

GPU:
    XFX 8800 ULTRA
    Do you think that overclocking a graphic card like 9700Pro patched to FireGL could get the same performances on OpenL as a base 9700Pro plus the features of the FireGL??

I ask you this because a guy from an italian forum, Atris.it, have tryed the hardware mod for the FireGL (9500 to 9700Pro to FireGLX1) and he have found that the graphic card has a higher overclock limit and that with a hight overclock he could get the same performance as before the hardware mod plus the features of a FireGLX1.

14. Spline

Spline Active Member

GPU:
    Leadtek 5950ultra
    So hows it going with them beta testing, Unwinder???
    Please post some updates on this subject.

Really would be cool to softmod my 9700 to a firegl card!!!!

I will propably do the resistor change later on so it will be easier updating drivers, I assume that this mod needs to be done on every driver update that ATI releases. But before resistor change, I do would like to test the softmod.

15. Unwinder

No trouble reports from beta testers, SVP boost on all of the systems we've tried.
    R9700 sample has arrived yesterday, but it seems to be damaged in the way so it looks like you will not see R9700PRO->X1 benchmarks in the review :(

16. coupe333

coupe333 Guest

Hi Unwinder Fx!!, when you think you gone make it available to the public?...

I am anxious!
    :cool: :cool:

17. Unwinder

Read the thread carefully, I've already said that ETA is 27th of January.

18. ragerino

ragerino Guest

Great.

Only 5 more days to go.

greats and thanks for the work Unwinder.

19. Unwinder

Extremely good news. I've just received side-by-side SoftFire GL X1/real FireGL X1 comparision on 1026 driver. SoftFireGL gives _absolutely_ the same performace as the real 'professional' accelerator. ATI are the real dumbs if they though that they'll be able to hide this fact and sell the same GPUs with double prices.

real FireGL X1

---------- SUM_RESULTS\3DSMAX\SUMMARY.TXT
    3dsmax-01 Weighted Geometric Mean = 11.61
    ---------- SUM_RESULTS\DRV\SUMMARY.TXT
    drv-08 Weighted Geometric Mean = 52.92
    ---------- SUM_RESULTS\DX\SUMMARY.TXT
    dx-07 Weighted Geometric Mean = 78.08
    ---------- SUM_RESULTS\LIGHT\SUMMARY.TXT
    light-05 Weighted Geometric Mean = 15.51
    ---------- SUM_RESULTS\PROE\SUMMARY.TXT
    proe-01 Weighted Geometric Mean = 12.13
    ---------- SUM_RESULTS\UGS\SUMMARY.TXT
    ugs-01 Weighted Geometric Mean = 27.15

R9700PRO modded to FireGL X1 with SoftFireGL

---------- SUM_RESULTS\3DSMAX\SUMMARY.TXT
    3dsmax-01 Weighted Geometric Mean = 11.64
    ---------- SUM_RESULTS\DRV\SUMMARY.TXT
    drv-08 Weighted Geometric Mean = 52.90
    ---------- SUM_RESULTS\DX\SUMMARY.TXT
    dx-07 Weighted Geometric Mean = 78.09
    ---------- SUM_RESULTS\LIGHT\SUMMARY.TXT
    light-05 Weighted Geometric Mean = 15.51
    ---------- SUM_RESULTS\PROE\SUMMARY.TXT
    proe-01 Weighted Geometric Mean = 12.13
    ---------- SUM_RESULTS\UGS\SUMMARY.TXT
    ugs-01 Weighted Geometric Mean = 27.19

20. coupe333

coupe333 Guest

Go for it!!!.....
    I am using the 9700p with 3ds max, and when there is a high poly count in the view ports is very slow, so i am waiting your new child with a lot of hope!!!...

:) :)