1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Unstable G.Skill RAM

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards AMD' started by Anubis77, Dec 14, 2018.

1. Anubis77

Anubis77 New Member

GPU:
    2080 TI
    Hi All,

I've been playing around with my DRAM the last few weeks trying to get it stable with the 2700x.

i've got 4x 8gb Trident Z 3200mhz (CL14D) B-die RAM but i cant even seem to get it to 3200 without it freezing during Prime95.

I've been using the Ryzen DRAM calculator that most people use and have tried a wide range of settings from 3000mhz-3433mhz. It boots no issue but always freezes during testing. The only setting that is stable so far is the default 2133mhz, which would be disappointing.

I have tried changing the ProcODT between 48-60 ohm but not much success. I have also tried incrementally moving up the DRAM voltage to 1.44v but still crashes after a few mins.

I note many people say change the SOC Voltage for stability. I have the Gigabyte x470 Gaming 7 Wifi board and the only SOC voltage listed is VCORE SOC which i have at 1.206 currently.

I am not using XMP profile as i heard this causes other issues so I have manually set everything based on the calc. This is the 3200 safe preset i have been trying to use.

Does anyone have any idea what else i can do to try and get this stable. I feel like i must be missing something

2. sunn

sunn Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 TI
    Remember not all IMCs can do 3000+, 4 sticks even less so, try dual first at 3200.

Also, while the calc may be useful to some, its only a guide, aim for main XMP timings first before tweaking further.

As for volts, have you tried lower, SoC 1.2v is too high, and assuming you started at 1.1, higher doesnt = stability, for example my 1700 has been happy at 1.05625v, higher volts (same speed/timing etc) becomes unstable very fast and its not temp bound, same goes for DRAM volts, of course this could just be my 1700.

3. Clouseau

Clouseau Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS STRIX GTX 1080
    Your SOC voltage is the problem to start with. Also, forget what others are saying about how using the XMP profile causes issues. It may have caused them issues but not every rig is created equal. Unless you try it how are you to know.

Four sticks places alot of strain on the IMC aside from lowering the supported speed no matter what the ram is rated at. So by pushing the ram to 3200 you are wanting the rig to function above spec. Overclocking results depends on the skill of the person doing the overclocking and the quality of the hardware involved. Play with the soc voltage with your ram set at 2133 and get the lowest setting nailed down. That is your starting point. Then walk the ram up to 3200 noting if and how much of an increase the soc voltage needed to be adjusted to get the speeds between the 2133 and 3200 stable. As stated above, 1.2V is the absolute hard ceiling for the voltage on the soc unless you know the risks and willing to take what comes.

https://www.pugetsystems.com/blog/2018/06/06/2nd-Gen-AMD-Ryzen-Supported-RAM-Speeds-1175/

That article lists the officially supported speeds based on the number of ram modules being used.

4. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080Ti H20
    Ryzen has a hard time handling high memory speeds with more than 2 modules.

Be prepared to be tweaking for a long time to get desired stability, but more than likely you will never get 100% stable on that setup.
    You might try sticking to lower speeds like 2667 or 2933

patteSatan likes this.

5. insp1re2600

insp1re2600 Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080TI OC H20
    I had some gskill 3466 and my board supports 3600+ oc, was no joy booting had to swap out for some corsair 3200's worked fine since

6. erouz

erouz Member

GPU:
    1070ti
    Did you check for new bios for your motherboard? new agesa 1.0.0.6 get memory clock higher and easier at least on my board. Maybe you will be lucky to.

7. SplashDown

SplashDown Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 980ti Classy
    Thats why I just went ahead and got the G. Skill Flare Kit, put on 3200 CL14 and plugged in stilts fast settings 14-13-13-28-42 and boom done. Been fine since I built no probs. G.SKILL Flare X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3200 / paid $240.00 US for it in April of this year. But great kit so I'll take it was worth the extra cash for me.

8. K.S.

K.S. Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 GAMING OC
    Just a suggestion - try passing memtest86 via bootable USB (basically you're not in your Windows OS) using the XMP profile of your RAM. If it errors out during the memtest - send it back to the vendor you bought it from as defective/warranty it to OEM.

I'd recommend doing this on your motherboard's latest F6e BIOS with everything on default/stock settings except for the RAM's XMP profile. (To first eliminate defective RAM/validate a stable kit) F6e includes AGESA 1.0.0.6 which already has adequate voltage settings at "defaults" needed for 24/7 stable 3200MHZ.

Start adding too much to things like SOC and you risk shortening the lifespan of certain things, plus it's overkill/unneeded - there's a lot of placebo out there and in reality most use cases don't need to exceed 1.15v with SOC

There's my advice - done all the stuff you're doing, I've been there & believe me it never hurts to just take your time and go in a step by step process heck a simple memtest for instance shouldn't even be an hour before you know if it's stable. (The kit in and of itself excluding all the rest - which I think you always want to verify first)

Last edited: Dec 21, 2018