Unshielded SSD Sata Cable

Discussion in 'SSD and HDD storage' started by teots, Jun 9, 2024.

1. teots

teots Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1660 super
    I used to assumed my ssd sata cables that come with motherboard are shielded with aluminum foils. But after i replaced them with aftermarket shielded ones, i strip the cable sleeve of my ols ssd sata cable that bundled with motherboard.
    To my surprise, there were shielded with plastic tubing leaving them exposed to electric field/electronic magnetic field.
    Without knowing, i might have playing/using my playstation computer with corrupted datas. I have took a picture of it, kindly share your opinions. :)

WIN_20240610_02_42_00_Pro.jpg WIN_20240610_01_38_23_Pro.jpg

Last edited: Jun 11, 2024
  2. rflair

rflair Don Coleus Staff Member

GPU:
    5700XT
    Its your money to waste.

FatBoyNL and teots like this.
  3. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070 Ti Super
    Corrupted datas are the worst. We're being sprayed with chem trails which corrupts them further.

teots likes this.
  4. wavetrex

wavetrex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HoF PTX 7095 Ultra
    Not possible to have "corrupted" data.
    The SATA controllers verify checksums for the data packets at each end of the cable, and sends a retry command. If it happens too many times, it just drops connection (hard-drive disappears)

i.e., if the cable is working fine (shielded or not), the data will always be transmitted 100% correct, if it's not, you just get the drive disconnected.

Shielded is still useful for longer ones ( 1m ), eg. server cables ( I have several of those, they are really REALLY long compared to normal cables coming with a consumer motherboard )

Truder and teots like this.

5. insp1re2600

insp1re2600 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4080 FE
    whole new thing to blame for losing at games :D

teots likes this.
  6. Truder

Truder Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6700XT Nitro+
    You do get degraded performance if data is being corrupted during transmission and it's having to go through error correction (so sata speeds can drop from 500MB/s to literally single digit KB/s.

I've had problems with faulty cables in the past though, SATA cables seem to "wear out" for lack of a better description (maybe corrosion or perhaps heating/cooling causing damage over time) and a typical sign of a failing cable is the "delayed write failure" error.

Obviously teots doesn't fully understand what corrupted data entails - if you had corrupted data, your system would be unstable/even inoperable, such as having BSODs.

7. teots

teots Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1660 super
    For anyone who are interested, i posted a wikipedia link on sata's specifications.
    And from picture and ink, show a fully double shielded sata cable compared to the one i had.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SATA

SATA3-TwinAxCable.jpg

SATA cable showing the two foil shielded differential pairs.

8. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    You will get DMA Errors, and a drop to Multiword mode before that happens.

Delayed write is a mechanical defect or integrity of the platter, not an PHY layer sata issue.

9. Truder

Truder Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6700XT Nitro+
    Nope, I've personally experienced bad cables causing this hence why I stated it and it has occurred quite a few times too, really weird when it happens because you would indeed think mechanical failure but nope, cables can go bad over time.

10. teots

teots Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1660 super
    Of course i know, corrupted data are ruined data that can't be use properly. I'm talking about
    corrupted data unknown to the user. ;)

You seem to experience quite often cables issue, do you live in dead desert or south pole ? :)
    I recommend you to get sata cables from aliexpress. The better ones are well made and durable, just take advantage of your currency exchange rate.

11. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    Port reset might occur with errors under MW-DMA, didn't consider that.