Unrealible DNS.

Discussion in 'Network questions and troubleshooting' started by tsunami231, Aug 26, 2020.

1. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    I understand.
    Well, hope that you'll solve your DNS problems.
    Good luck!

2. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    gah, went to spectrum store to get the router there closed cause some one test for covid, next closest is 50 miles away, Seeing as not gona take 50 mile trip to pick something up that I can not call ahead of time to make sure they have cause there are no "numbers" to actual get hold of store and all goes to call centers or so they say, I have them "send" the new AX router to me. person on phone said it more then likely they will send same one I have now to me despite multiple notes being put on the order which eactly what happen when I tried to have them send me there news modem. which mean I probably wont up at spectrum store again at somepoint.

I have noticed these DNS issue seem to almost reliably be reproduced if I try to "load" to page/tabs at the same time.

I really dont care to deal with this which why I had tech visit created wear the tech was supposed to come with all this stuff and replace all for me, just to find out tech dont see what on the actual visit till they get call so if they didnt leave depot with the stuff on order tech cant do squat.

As it is i dont even want to deal windows constantly break with updates anymore

Almost to point i just gona tell dad to order the damn router, cause even now spectrum is annoying me

3. 386SX

386SX Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD Vega64 RedDevil
    Edit: setup a machine as proxy. I just installed Endian as proxy in a virtual environment to achieve exactly that (and some other things like packet sniffing). Done in about one hour with all steps included.

Any machine with 1 NIC will do the job.

4. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    would you believe I been waiting since Dec 15 for this new router to be sent to me just for spectrum to tell me it was never finalized and there for not sent? and now they want to send tech out with this new router? cause the cant send specify which router to be sent?

Dad no longer want to buy router if he can get it for free seeing he is paying for it. and from my point at this point this new router is faster and more power then what we have, but just need to fix the DNS issue this router has.

If only everything could be Wired...

Last edited: Jan 5, 2021

5. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    Well got the new spectrum router, gona see if it fixes the issue, I did not expect them to litterly lock everything down though.

Router can only be accesse via the spectrum app which mean threw wireless, and I can only change sid id change device name and reserve ip adress and change dns, and ope ports here and there, thing you can change are even more sparse then router that was replaced.

So guess in the end need to look at my own router, cause I cant even make "mac" address alow/deny list

6. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    Sorry to hear that.
    Locked down hardware software is where one loses control.
    Luckily there are solutions.
    Ubiquity ecosystem offers a lot of network gear, also Microtik.

7. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    well the DNS realiblity issue look resolved GRC DNS benchmark come back 100% for all DNS , Sadly this router way to locked down, at Bare minimum i need ablitliy to do Mac Address Allow/Deny lists which i cant do, Also really hate that I cant log in to Router IP address and change setting from there. Instead if has to be threw there app and threw wifi on mobile device which just not a good idea imo I perfer it being down via wired connection

2g/5g are combined into one sid which is nice, had little issue with my old laptop seeing my network I had rename to something else then the laptop saw it, I then renamed back to what it was and it saw it again.

Then again this laptop is running windows "vista" probably lucky it runs at all

so i guess gona have see when this asus router is on sale.

Gona keep on on dns for while but looks fixed which should also fix the No connection error I been randomly getting

8. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    Seems like you new router comes with the new way of management copied from Ubiquity, and they adopted from SDN philosophy.
    Which means you have a controller and the device/devices controlled that way become"dumb" the brain is on the controller.
    In a distilled, crude way, Ansible/Puppet is basically this, one node orchestrates the network and devices.

9. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    So far everything DNS related and it reliability look 100% now according too https://www.grc.com/dns/benchmark.htm

since the original router has been replaced, which what I was after, and performance wise wifi has same if not better in range and speed, and router dont have same peformance drop with 1 person streaming video so from the stand point router it is much better then what we had.

Gona see how this all pans out with most function just locked. I have to figure out way to get my PC to have xxx.xxx.xxx.2 ip I always set as it static ip. I can only set reserve ip for ip it is actual using. and setting the ip to what I want it to be on PC side works as far PC concerned it show correct ip but router show a different ip and does not change from even after it been rebooted

10. 386SX

386SX Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD Vega64 RedDevil
    Try this:
    Set static IP
    Set router as dns and gateway.
    Probably reboot router.
    See if x.x.x.2 is shown in router.
    Then set as dhcp reservation.
    Then change static ip back to all dhcp.

That works on mine. :)

11. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    yah I tried manual setting it on PC then rebooting the router, strangely the router was give the showing my PC using .80 ip but my pc was tell me it using .2 and no amount router reboots got the router to see the correct ip the system had and was using so i kind just gave up.

Dns reliability issue is fixed, no random "check internet connection" error and it even fix the random interent connection cant be found on "ipad" game that complain about move to get better reception

Last edited: Jan 16, 2021
  12. 386SX

386SX Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD Vega64 RedDevil
    I would recommend buying another router with WAN as RJ45 and connect its WAN to your current router's LAN port. You can have almost everything except voice I guess running through the new router then and you will be able to set everything as you like.
    Or build one, but I guess that would be more expensive.

13. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    Buy a New Asus AX router that is 4x4 antenna, is still on the table, but put on back burner DNS issue is fixed and me not get router to see IP i manual specify on the PC on router is none issue, it just need to my static for wired systems, as for the Severely locked lack of router and fact any changes are done threw "app" which has to be on mobile device I dont like access any router setting no mater how limited vis wireless and app

So long as I dont start seeing random device mac address poping up on the router every stay as is. I have always used mac address list for "allow" device but this first "isp" router that dont even support that.

Like said it fixed what I wanted fix might have some huge draw back compared to last isp router in terms of security imo, but it also fixed random issue if the iPhone/iPad app/games say no connection move to get get bet "reception" I have not seen that happen since it was replaced it that happen almost every day if not ever other day in those apps.

I honestly dont even want to deal with windows 10 and it updates anymore.

14. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    Not to toot my own horn, but having pfSense on the router and running Linux as main OS is the most boring, stable computing I ever had.(boring as in solid, rock solid)
    Gone are the days of rebooting the router, have to troubleshoot what went wrong, the OS, cable, network configuration or some updates.
    But my own experience is not a fact (wide accepted established fact) neither a norm.

386SX likes this.
  15. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    your welcome to set one up for me and maintain it :rolleyes:

I am sorta curious how "wifi" works for those self made router setups, cause full wired setup is impossible

16. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    The WiFi is managed by the Ubiquity AP.
    It has MIMO with 6 antennas for radio communication.
    The DHCP server on pfSense is leasing IPs on a MAC list and there can be only the number of IP of devices I own.
    You can set up WiFi with pfSense of course, but I fancy the more powerful Ubiquity AP.

17. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    link to all this stuff you talking about to make personal router with wifi etc etc , maybe I look in to it all out of curiousty

18. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    First The why:

Now, onto hardware parts.
    Always choose Intel NICs, Broadcom or Chelsio.
    Intel's NIC are plenty, cheap and very reliable. Server grade refurbished are a great deal.

HP T620 Plus and HP T7300 are a common choice of a small, compact thin client able to run pfSense and sipping just a few watts.
    Feel free to explore more, but I found T620 as cheap as 60€ in mint condition. Can't beat that deal. Bought two, just to have spare routers in the case of hardware failure of my main router.
    Now, on the WiFi
    Route 1 Use the included WiFi NIC included in the pfSense router.
    There are pros and cons main con is that BSD doesn't play very nice with wireless drivers. But they support quite a few, stay away from Realtek or Ralink. Atheros and Intel have better driver support.
    Route 2 Buy an external AP connected to main router. Yes, adds a layer or hardware complexity, but you have prosumer grade WiFi hardware and software. Ubiquity, Aruba, Mikrotik are common choice.

What is your budget?

386SX likes this.
  19. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    hah those 300$ router from asus is hard sell, if i was willing pay that seeing it my dad that complains the most about wifi and it range I can tell you that 300$ is still hard sell to him.

I went ISP router cause it was free and cost him nothing, mind you router is put in closet in corner of the house cause that is where wires are cause he has no interest paying to have more wire ran threw the walls ,It is most defiently a nice step up in performance but lack of setting is terrible, I hoping at some point it get update that lets us access it via the ip